U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:22 PM

202 posts, read 292,227 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am wanting to move, however, my basement and garage is filled with stuff I need to get rid of first. I have lots and lots of things, both loose and inside boxes, some are filled completely full of various different things, some are partially filled and some are empty. Regardless, I need to get rid of all of it. Who can I hire to have a small group of people come over and basically haul it out of here and do with it whatever is necessary to get rid of it?
Thanks
Rate this post positively

Old 01-16-2018, 02:13 PM

6,606 posts, read 10,920,756 times
If you don't care if it all goes in a landfill (some items might require recycling; ie, batteries, etc), and you don't want any money for the stuff, then any movers of the "Two Guys and a Truck" variety can get the job done for a price.

Or try Craiglist's labor-hauling-moving listings in your area

https://www.craigslist.org/about/sites#US

Old 01-16-2018, 03:26 PM

35,317 posts, read 46,796,220 times
1-800-Got Junk will get rid of it all for you.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:40 PM

14,883 posts, read 21,052,963 times
If you can stand dealing with people, post on craigslist in Free Stuff section. take few pictures. Someone will take it all in heartbeat. I see no reason to pay anyone for that.
Otherwise, find a buddy with truck, load it up and take to landfill. WILL cost you less than hiring anyone.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:53 PM

95 posts, read 75,664 times
Goodwill will take it all for free!!

Old 01-16-2018, 03:57 PM

18,817 posts, read 28,076,465 times
Yep, I've posted stuff for free on CL and voila! All gone.

If you have a local flea market, you could call them and ask them if they know anyone who'd want to haul it all away to take to the flea market, with the agreement they have to just haul it all away and not pick through it.

At any rate, you shouldn't have to pay anyone to get rid of it.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:58 PM

7,238 posts, read 19,891,248 times
My area has a million Swap pages on Facebook. You might make a pretty penny selling most of it for cheap.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:27 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,509,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiapo View Post
Goodwill will take it all for free!!
Not true.

We are struggling to donate our stuffs to charities. Habitat for Humanity came few days ago and only cherry picked 3 items (a 10" contractor table saw, an excellent steelcase tall file cabinet and a Taylor King arm chair in excellent condition).

I contacted 2 piano charities organization to donate a very good upright piano and got no taker. I mentioned this to a friend and she told me that her daughter who has 3 young kids are looking for a piano. I am so happy to see the piano going to a good home.

We are waiting for Salvation Army to come tomorrow and hope that they will take most of furniture and appliances. They called us today and said that they were not going to take any metal desks,mattresses/box springs and furniture items with particle board. Their website allows me to list a sleeper sofa but I read somewhere that they don't take it because it has a mattress. I think the great public fear about bed bugs could be the reason. I am crossing my fingers that they will take both the sleeper sofa and the love seat. They have butcher block frames and weigh a ton. They are solidly built and will last forever but I am not going to ship them across the country.

Our local Goodwill has similar policies of not taking mattresses, box springs, office desks. Other charitable organizations list that they don't take any office furniture including bookcases.

It's also impossible to donate any solid wood furniture with some visible small damages.

I was editing Salvation Army's donation items list today and could not find any categories for my garage tools (timing light, compressor springs), a humidifer, luggage carrier etc. Oh, they also don't take sewing machine!

After Salvation pickup tomorrow, I will have to bite the bullet and put out craigslist ads for free items. I'm not going to list my address and tell people to pick them up from the curb. Besides, some items are too heavy for carry to the curve.

I don't mind paying a junk hauler to haul items away but hate to see good useful items go to the land fill. The junk hauler will be my last resort.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:39 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,420,138 times
Look for a "Freecycle" group in your area. Have 3-4 people come over and pay them $10 an hour to move everything outside and have people come and pick through it.... I can assure you, there's not going to be much left!

Check out www.freecycle.org Good luck!

Old 01-16-2018, 05:43 PM

23,810 posts, read 11,584,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
Hi,
I am wanting to move, however, my basement and garage is filled with stuff I need to get rid of first. I have lots and lots of things, both loose and inside boxes, some are filled completely full of various different things, some are partially filled and some are empty. Regardless, I need to get rid of all of it. Who can I hire to have a small group of people come over and basically haul it out of here and do with it whatever is necessary to get rid of it?
Thanks
When we moved, we took everything in our garage and storage and put it on the front lawn. Yard sale!

People buy anything and everything. Even if it is too crappy to sell--put it out for free. Believe me--it will be gone quickly.

Before you start calling charities to pick stuff up, give it away. Put it out front and people will do all the work of getting rid of it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.