Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 10:57 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,915,746 times

Advertisements

So, my understanding is that standard coverage for an interstate move is 60 cents per pound, which the government requires. My moving company has quoted different coverage that has a deductible. It sounds like I would be getting coverage for major damage, but that they would have zero liability for any minor damage they might do that would fall within the deductible. Am I understanding this correctly? If they scrape and scratch things, I have no recourse? I could get zero deductible coverage, but it is expensive in relation to the cost of my move, which is only about 200 miles....and why should I have to pay extra to make sure they do their job properly??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 06:46 AM

20,160 posts, read 9,055,673 times
you're basically at their mercy, if they scratch something, they won't replace, they'll "repair" it, if you're lucky. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
you're basically at their mercy, if they scratch something, they won't replace, they'll "repair" it, if you're lucky. Good luck!
Oh boy! Well, wish me luck!

Old 04-16-2018, 06:22 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,134,458 times
Beware if you have antiques or well-cared for old vintage. Scratched? They just claim it was old anyway, scratches to be expected.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:20 AM

17,349 posts, read 11,309,713 times
In some ways I can't say I blame them. How many people would claim a scratch on an old piece of furniture that was used for the last several years that was already scratched and say the movers did it? I work with the general public and for many it's all about getting something for free or at least discounted for the most absurd reasons. How many would claim an old used end table was an antique and expect compensation for a scratch? I hate to even think about it.
Work with the general public for a while and you lose all hope for humanity.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:26 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,134,458 times
Some antique furniture is in pristine condition having been carefully cared for during its entire existence. Others may have been stripped and refinished, then well maintained. A scratch across the top of an historic buffet could ruin the pleasure the owner gets upon seeing it. My thought is that a new scratch will look a lot different than an old one, and should be acknowledged.

However, the only real remedy is for the movers to be careful and well trained, since a repair to the scratch might just look worse.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:27 AM

73 posts, read 114,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
So, my understanding is that standard coverage for an interstate move is 60 cents per pound, which the government requires. My moving company has quoted different coverage that has a deductible. It sounds like I would be getting coverage for major damage, but that they would have zero liability for any minor damage they might do that would fall within the deductible. Am I understanding this correctly? If they scrape and scratch things, I have no recourse? I could get zero deductible coverage, but it is expensive in relation to the cost of my move, which is only about 200 miles....and why should I have to pay extra to make sure they do their job properly??
There are a lot of misconceptions with legal liability for Household Goods movers, and the protection plans they offer, The largest of which is being confused with "Insurance". Any coverage that a Household goods mover offers is strictly just an extension of their legal liability, which is $0.60 per lb, per article.

With $0.60 per lb, per article, you really need to take the weight of items into consideration. If a Coffee Cup were to break, You would be looking at somewhere around $0.60 - $1.20 for the replacement of this, but if a 100lb Dresser were Scratched or Gouged, $60.00 would go towards a technician coming out and repairing this scratch - which is completely practical for a tech to do.

You're not paying extra for these movers to do their job properly, You're paying extra for an extension of their Legal Liability. Professional Movers are good at what they do, But we're all human, and accidents can happen from time to time.

With the coverage plan your mover is offering you, It sounds as if this is Full Value with a few options for different deductibles. The exact figure of each deductible is based on the total value of your goods, usually Weight x $5.00-$7.00.

Movers often give a discount on this portion of your quote as incentive for you to book your move through them. If your total valuation is somewhere around say $70,000.00, They may sometimes give you the first $50,000.00 of protection for free, leaving you to pay for the remaining $20,000.00 of protection only. It may be something you want to bring up with the coordinator you're working with. These discounts are usually included with specific "Referrals" that they get from Realtors, Insurance agencies, Employers, Ect. You may qualify for this....

Also, SOMETIMES, insurance that you maintain on your own actually covers moving. It's not often, but I have actually had a few customers in my career confirm that their insurance policy would actually cover any damage that occurs during their relocation. Everyone's policy is different, but this may be something you would want to look into as well.

Good luck with your move!

Old 04-17-2018, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues