Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 09:38 PM

320 posts, read 2,528,064 times

Advertisements

Hi All. Currently looking to make a possible move across country to be closer to family. Our child is in Montessori K now and would be starting 1st grade in a new school setting come fall even if we stayed in town.
So, if we were to move to the new state before fall, a new school setting for first grade in is no big deal.

But we'd likely have to start in an apartment, which means one school district. And when we look into houses, that could be in another. So we are looking at some potential disruption in the first years of school. I'd hate to move more than that, but I know it happens.

Id like to hear from others who have moved their kids more than once, especially at this age. I suspect this type of move is harder when they are in fact older and have made friends. Just curious to hear from others how your experiences have been. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 10:43 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Its just not easy at any age, but the older the more difficult, they say. My parents moved me in 3rd grade and it was tough on me. They moved me again in 11th grade and it was a very happy move for me. As a parent, my son had to move to a new school in 1st grade twice, and then in Jr. High. Each time he seemed to change schools easily. But now, as a parent himself, he has not moved and remodeled his home a few times in order to avoid moving.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:42 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
Currently looking to make a possible move across country
...starting 1st grade in a new school setting come fall

But we'd likely have to start in an apartment which means one school district.
And when we look into houses, that could be in another.
So we are looking at some potential disruption in the first years of school.

Just curious to hear from others how your experiences have been.
Kids can handle it fine.

But however negatively disruptive the move might be...
that has to balanced at the disruption that might exist staying where Mom doesn't want to be
and then balanced against the possible positive disruptions that being near family with a happy Mom.
---

When you're ready to make the move try to rent where you want to be to begin with.
It sounds like you know the various areas well enough to do that - even if it costs a few dollars more.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:12 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
They will hardly remember it.

In my experience, kids will follow your lead. So if you present it with trepidation and concern, they could develop anxiety about it. If you present it as something that is happening and that is an adventure, they most likely will see it that way, too.

It helps to provide them with photos of the new place so they have something tangible to focus on about where they're going instead of only thinking about what they're leaving.

Focus on the positives, minimize the negatives, and don't dwell on it.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:48 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I grew up in the air force, so we moved every couple years my whole childhood but then everyone in school did that also.

So you didn't get plopped down in a community where everyone was born at the local hospital and their parents also were.

In first grade, the adjustment should go very smoothly as long as she's in a stable home and good schools, which it sounds like she is.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:39 AM

320 posts, read 2,528,064 times
Excellent advice, all. Kids to seem resilient. And very good advice to present the move as a positive to children and frame the move as something to look forward to.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:43 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
No big deal. Unless you MAKE a big deal of it!!!

Old 01-24-2018, 03:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Young kids will have no problems. We moved our kids regularly because we lived in a place with terrible schools (at our local neighborhood public school - no one spoke English at all). OUr girls went to a school a few miles away for kindergarten, but it was pretty awful so we moved them to a charter school in the next town. That school was supidl competitive for elementary school so we moved them to a differnt local charter school. They started Middle school and one of them got admitted to an arts specialty school the next year.(actually they both could have but one wanted to stay where she was).

The next two changed schools districts a couple of times, and then we moved 2300 miles away.

They all did fine. The big move was tough for hte older girls because they were starting high school and we moved to a place with only one school of each level, so all the kids there had grown up together. The younger kids were fine and had no problems assimilating. The high school girls had some difficulty. Younger is better if you are going to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues