Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 03:29 PM

93 posts, read 110,280 times

Advertisements

We are looking at U-Boxes, Packrat, and UPack. We are moving about 2000 miles to a smallish city not serviced by PODS, and we have lots of stuff to bring along. Which service is the best one to use and why? Appreciate all feedback from folks who have experienced a similar move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 05:41 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
I would recommend ABF Freight's U-Pack for 3 reasons:
1. You have a choice of ReloCubes, or a partial trailer load (priced by the foot used)
2. Your shipment stays with ABF. No subcontractors.
3. The ReloCubes are metal, not wood like U-Box.

My 2000 mi ReloCube move from CO to CT was ontime and flawless.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:34 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,055,725 times
If using a freight company, I second the ABF recommendation. I've used them in the Lower 48, and I know plenty of others that have used them throughout the same and moving from AK.

I used one of ABF's Relocubes going from NC to IN and had no issues.

Note that not all locations can be serviced by the Relocube being dropped at your door. Some have to be loaded at one of ABF's nearby hubs. As my NC location was one of those where I would have had to go to the hub, I opted to do that on both ends. It likely had to do with the MHE required to move the container, as they stated they would have no issue dropping a trailer at my front door.

Another note with the Relocube is you have a 2500 pound weight limit per cube. Just eyeballing stuff I ended up at 2480 in the cube I used. I am not tracking a weight limit for a trailer. Just pay by the foot.

Packrat also has metal containers and they are likely sturdier than ABFs, but the quotes were much more expensive in my case. Also, Packrat didn't have the tracking and the nationwide network that ABF does.

This last move, I decided to cut out the freight companies and moved most of what I needed from IN to LA in a Uhaul 6x12 cargo trailer and a Tacoma. While slightly overloaded, I ended up with 4800+pounds of stuff inside the truck and trailer.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:04 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
Relo wants $3728 for a 1 bedroom apt from CT to NM. Sound fair to you. Includes loaders at both ends.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:26 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,055,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Relo wants $3728 for a 1 bedroom apt from CT to NM. Sound fair to you. Includes loaders at both ends.
How does that compare to a full service moving company? I mean with folks loading/unloading at each end, you're just about there anyways.

How much of a trailer are you putting in the quote request?

Old 02-07-2018, 09:25 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
How does that compare to a full service moving company? I mean with folks loading/unloading at each end, you're just about there anyways.

How much of a trailer are you putting in the quote request?
I just moved from Cape Coral Fl to Sneads Ferry NC. Two bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, dining table with 6 chairs and a den.
I used Allied Van Lines with them doing all the packing, it was smooth, nothing lost, not even a tea cup broken. I paid $4910.00 and that included full coverage insurance for $40,000 with no deductible.

The movers were great, I didn't have to do anything but unpack, I started unpacking as they were moving my stuff in so they took each empty box and the packing paper.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:43 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,413 times
We used ABF upack trailer for CT to TX, they were great. We had a 1200sf 3br house and used about 16ft in the trailer, cost about 2500. Loved being able to track the truck too. We hired loaders/unloaders and that was another 500ish total. Moving companies were quoting us 10-14k for the move

Old 02-07-2018, 05:01 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
We used ABF upack trailer for CT to TX, they were great. We had a 1200sf 3br house and used about 16ft in the trailer, cost about 2500. Loved being able to track the truck too. We hired loaders/unloaders and that was another 500ish total. Moving companies were quoting us 10-14k for the move
Do they deliver to your house or to their facility?

Old 02-07-2018, 06:33 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Do they deliver to your house or to their facility?
Either way. Could depend on if there is available space for the trailer, and if there are any local laws not allowing trailers in a residential area.

Check here for more info:
https://www.upack.com/moving-service...er-parking.asp
https://www.upack.com/moving-service...be-parking.asp

Old 02-08-2018, 08:37 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
I used PACKRAT to move from CA to TN, using a few shipments over 3 years. Depending on the pick up driver, the box could swing if the driver was bad and the container loading was not on a level street/driveway area. About 5 containers shipped and only damage in the one where the driver could not figure how to lock the container without driving down the mountain street a block to where it was leveler. She said she was new.

Stay on top of them on if the delivery is scheduled, and were the load is as they often will try to store it first. And PACKRAT will negotiate the price. They also have a scam about additional fuel charge if gas is not almost free, negotiate to not pay that fuel charge, its a scam and they know it. It kicks in at way too low of a gas price.

I used U-Haul containers for 3 small loads.

Check the size of the containers and the weight limit when comparing the prices. UHAULs were very small containers. I did have a problem with one container being changed out...same door and my lock, but a brand new container arrived, with my stuff sort of packed the same, but not exactly. They just unscrewed the door hinge and locked latch and screwed it onto another box. No explanation, and even a denial. It also was the only box with broken stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues