Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 06:50 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,656,529 times

Advertisements

I used Shipsmart when I moved from Dallas to DC in 2015. They specialize in small moves. I had a 900 sq ft, 1-bed apartment in DFW. The move cost $2300. They picked up my items from my storage unit in Dallas (I did not have to be present), and delivered them within a week's time. Not a single thing was broken. I highly recommend this company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 08:27 PM

6,700 posts, read 3,312,170 times
We used Bekins to move a 3 br house worth of furniture from Illinois to Nevada and they did a great job. We had a lot of fragile and delicate items and not one thing was broken, nicked, or scratched. Price was about the same as Pods and FAR less work on my part.

I was skeptical as I read all the horror stories, too, but Bekins was great and I would.use them again.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:32 AM

13,378 posts, read 28,629,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
Same thing happened to me with a different company when I made the move from CA to NC in December. I was trying to figure out either to hire movers or do it myself. So I got a quote of $2700 to move my stuff and I thought "great because a moving truck would have been 3600". So I accept it and do the down payment of $1k then they call to confirm it 5 days before the move date and suddenly it's going to be $1k more than expected but don't worry they will be there on Sunday at 1pm.

So Sunday rolls around and they call said they would be "a little bit late" and I try and try to call them back with no answer until 730pm when they call me and ask if they can come by around 9 or 10pm that night, I said no because I have small kids. So they tell me that might could get to me the next day, so they show up the next night at 630pm to pick up my stuff. Now while they are at my apt it's suddenly going to be $4500 overall which I had to agree to because I have already paid over $2k by this point to these guys.

So after Christmas I start calling them to deliver my stuff and come to find out it never left CA because of the holidays and I am told that after the New Years they will ship it. So in the end I paid $4700 for my stuff that arrived 3 1/2 weeks later
That should have been your red flag!!! $2700 from CA to NC?!?!

I had guaranteed price from Allied of $4800, that was for a 2 bedroom, living room, den and dinette set, with them doing the packing. This was from Florida to North Carolina, much less miles than Ca to NC

Old 03-07-2018, 08:43 AM

55 posts, read 45,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
The movers for 1300 sounds suspiciously low, IMHO.
I agree with this.

I paid movers to move my stuff out of my one bedroom apartment to our house which was basically across town - technically in a different town but they're border towns, so it's like a 15-20 minute drive.

What they did was minimal - basically load everything in their truck (including dismantling furniture), and then unload everything where you want it to go and re-mantle furniture. That all cost me between 750-900. I can't remember the exact pricing.

I'm really surprised you found a place that is doing all that for 1300. If you had few items and were moving in town - sure, but across country? IDK..

Also I don't know if anyone else has suggested it in this thread yet but you can rent a UHaul and then get workers from a temp agency like PeopleReady or craigslist to come help you move.
I know people who do this all the time - get a few people willing to make however much you agree an hour, help you load everything up, then you drive yourself to your destination and either just unload on your own or try to find people at the destination through craigslist or PeopleReady to help you finish unloading.

Moving companies are a risk. I know you can get things insured but if you have something seriously valuable it's not worth it.
I've used Mayflower 3 times and most of the times have been great. The first time, nothing was lost, everything was perfect. The second time, they lost all the hardware to put my furniture back together. That was a pain because I had never put the furniture together in the first place so I was basically teaching myself and trying to find the right equipment.

The third time I used them, nothing bad happened. It was okay, they did fine. It was a matter of time constraints why I used them again instead of moving myself after the bad experience.

After this though, we wound up just moving ourselves with Uhaul.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:34 PM

311 posts, read 465,072 times
Check the prices for ABF Freight. You pack everything yourself. They leave a truck with you, for a few days. You load it. There may be 3 or 4 others customers. They each get a portion of the truck. When it's filled, the drivers route is where ever the destinations are. Then you unpack the
truck at your destination. Not sure of the prices. This was the best choice for us, moving from New York to TN.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:38 AM

626 posts, read 622,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

I had guaranteed price from Allied of $4800, that was for a 2 bedroom, living room, den and dinette set, with them doing the packing. This was from Florida to North Carolina, much less miles than Ca to NC
Yeah I learned my lesson. Next time I will either do it myself or the freight thing.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:09 PM

28,863 posts, read 30,122,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Hi all,

I'm moving from the Midwest to the West Coast soon, and looking at my options for the move. I have a tiny 500 sq ft studio, and the largest (and most expensive) item is a beautiful 600 dollar floor mirror. Everything else fits in boxes.

1st option is to hire movers. The prices I'm being given are in the 1300 range "out the door", i.e. EVERYTHING is included. Packing, moving, taxes, gas, everything. Seems like a great option except I had bad experiences with movers in the past, and if they break my mirror or lose something, my homeowners' policy wouldn't cover it.

2nd option is to do it myself. It's a bit more expensive with fuel and hotels. Comes up to 1500$. Plus 3-4 days of packing, driving and all that "fun stuff". But the chances of my stuff making it are much higher.

What would you all recommend based on your experience?
I am planning a move like that in two years, however, I most likely much older than you and cannot lift much any longer, so I plan to downsize a lot, and hire movers....so they come in and pack everything, move it, and unpack the boxes...

what kind of bad experience did you have if I might ask?

Old 03-09-2018, 08:23 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,737,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

dang girl you got robbed.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:07 AM

79 posts, read 79,338 times
Within the past year, I have made two cross country moves, from NC to CA and back to NC. The first one was crazy expensive, the second one was about $1,000 with a lot of lessons learned from my first one.

I posted a video about it, and it might have some useful info for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAAdqf5wF8s

Old 07-05-2018, 01:10 AM

74 posts, read 50,394 times
Hi Flavia84,

I read your post. In my opinion, hiring a reputable moving company is a great option for you, but make sure moving company will give you full safety and protection about your expensive stuff.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues