Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 08:43 AM

321 posts, read 920,575 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm just lucky. We picked up our 14' Uhaul truck yesterday - brand new truck and clean as a whistle. Moving from Cape Cod to St. Louis, MO for $455. Can't beat that price anyplace. They even tossed in a dolly for us to use at no charge. Budget and Penske were both more than double that price even with AAA discount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 03:00 PM

502 posts, read 1,740,099 times
OK, we just completed our first truck load of our move from NY to NC with Penske and it went great. We picked up the 26' truck and loaded it up on one day. They suggested we get the dolly after we had the truck loaded. We went over the next day when we were leaving town and were happily surprised that they upgraded us from a dolly to a full car trailer for the same price. The only tricky part was driving the car onto the ice covered trailer. We then took off and drove it all in one day... just had a couple of fuel/food stops along the way. They had suggested that we drop off the trailer before unloading, but decided to just disconnect it myself, which I did. Next day we hooked the trailer back up after emptying the truck and returned it a day early. The truck had 94,000 miles on it, but we had no problems. It was in great shape, other than a couple of stains on the seats, and the staff at both locations were very good. We will be renting another truck for our final load in a few months and will be back to Penske.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:12 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,668 times
Uhaul will rent you Moderator cut: profanity deleted boxes period. I do see some new trucks but overall their fleet looks poorly maintained and old. I rented once for a local move. It was some old toyota pickup (small 10 ft truck). I looked at the guy like he had 10 heads when he gave it to me. It wound up stalling twice as i crossed an intersection when I was returning it. The employees were "less than helpful" and the usual "pleasant and courteous worker".

Penske is night and day. Penske trucks are new, the sales offices and entire process from reservation to pick up to drop off is easy and all the employees and company are pleasant to deal with. In a word, PROFESSIONAL. Moderator cut: deleted for liability issues

As for their trailers, those do not look like they are that sturdy either. All junk IMO.

Last edited by Beretta; 03-03-2008 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: keeping the forum PG-13

Old 03-03-2008, 06:24 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Folks, let's please remember that each moving store is independent and experiences vary. Let's be fair since the stores aren't here to tell their side of the story. Some negative experiences may have to be removed because of liability issues so please that in mind as you post. Also, please keep the posting PG-13. Profanity will be edited or deleted out. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:30 PM

915 posts, read 3,180,127 times
best if you want the best price is, especially for a long distance haul is for you to get a quote from Uhaul and then later on Penske. If Penske price came up higher, mentioned that Uhaul pricing is way better, most of the time they will beat the price quote

Old 03-06-2008, 08:02 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
Penske all the way!

Old 03-06-2008, 07:30 PM

514 posts, read 1,669,259 times
We rented a 24ft U-Haul last weekend to move our stuff about 20 miles.Let me start off by saying that the truck we had was the biggest piece of ^%#* I have ever driven. It should not even be on the road. It is an absolute safety hazard. The steering was so loose, the wheel had at least a 1/4 turn of play each way. The brakes were horrible, and it pulled to the right real bad. The transmission was whining like a little schoolgirl and when you stopped for a light it would downshift 2 gears with two loud bangs. Front suspension was completely blown out. My buddy and I had a good laugh with it, but the truck really was dangerous. And I have been driving dump trucks and roll offs since I was a kid, so Im not a newbie to driving vehicles with some wear and tear on them. Go with Penske, if you value your safety.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 75,652 times
U-Haul will match any one way rental

Old 03-07-2008, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 75,652 times
also, I used U-Haul and on my one way move they gave me a free month of storage

Old 03-07-2008, 11:13 AM

8,037 posts, read 10,629,469 times
Absolutely Penske over U-Haul. U-haul's trucks are not maintained like Penske trucks are. Also, Penske has first rate customer service both online and on the telephone. U-haul has cut back on it's help, and it shows. Also, Penske GUARANTEES you a truck at the location YOU specify on the date and time you need it. UHAUL does NOT. We found this out the hard way previously on two local rentals - had to go way out of our way and lost a lot of valuable moving time because they didn't have a truck/trailor for us the day we went to pick it up. In on case, we had to travel 40 miles out of our way to get a the trailor! NEVER AGAIN! It's all a game of chance with U-haul. THAT's why I used Penske for my cross-country move two years ago. My truck still smelled new and had only 2,000 miles on it! I changed my reservation details many times and it was never any problem, service was terriffic, all went wonderfully smooth!

If you want more opinions, check out some of the truck rental "ratings" sites online. You will hear many U-haul nightmare stories. When companies get cheap and shoddy about their service - it shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues