U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 29,733 times

Advertisements

I have to go with penske on this one. heres why:

I was moving from home to a large apartment, 4 bedroom. I rented a 24' uhaul. Picked up the location and the manager stated to me "Hurry up and sign, you're holding me up". this was at the Washington, PA location right off of Rt. 19. So we got the truck and everything was fine. 22 miles away in Blawnox, picking up furnature from a friends house, i lose brake pressure. so I park on a slight grade, because there was no flat area large enough for the truck. I soon start to see BRAKE FLUID rolling down the hill. That was bad enough, but when I had called for the mechanic, he checked it out, and the damn caliper was hanging off the brake as well and it looked that way for awhile. He said to call Uhaul, this one needs towed.

I went ahead and called UHAUL and the rep named PHILBERT told me "No sir, we will not help you to get a new truck". so basically, you rent me a piece of crap and do not want to compensate me for it. They said it would be towed. so I waited for 4 hours, and I needed to move. I got fed up, put fluid in the brake lines and drove it 22 miles back home and parked it. I called UHAUL and told them their piece of CRAP is sitting across the street. I then called penske and rented their truck, they only had a 17' available. I took it, and made 2 trips, but was not charged mileage, they had given me my Military Discount, and I got to keep it an extra day because UHAUL screwed me over. The truck was more of a van... and it was an '04. and here it is '07, and the interior/exterior looked like it just rolled off the assembly line and was amazingly easy to handle.

I will never go to UHAUL again, and I spread the word every chance I get. I always send them to Penske. Theyre fast, friendly, and have quality trucks to get the job done you need the truck for.

Lets put UHAUL out of business. Go Penske...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 10:07 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,637,057 times
I would never use U-Haul. When I called for a truck, they want me to give them my credit card number and make a reservation before they even know if a truck is available!!!!

The Penske trucks are nice and clean. The staff is fair and easy to work with.

Read this scary story in the L.A. Times about U-Haul's aging trucks.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:54 PM

673 posts, read 2,986,807 times
When I moved from Wisconsin to Virginia, we went with Penske. I used my AAA discount which saved me alot of money at the time! When we were in Virginia and we moved to a different apartment, we got a U-Haul and it was awful. And wouldnt you know we had our credit card number stolen around the same time. Turns out it was on the news a week later that the U-haul office was throwing all the receipts in the dumpster without shredding them and people were stealing credit card numbers right and left. I'll never go through them again. Penske is the way to go for sure.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:29 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,920,241 times
I just recently drove a 24' Uhaul for a friend. Thankfully I only had to go 40 miles. That truck was a coffin on wheels. I will never, rent, drive, or ride in a Uhaul truck.
Don

Old 10-29-2007, 07:31 PM

3,763 posts, read 11,343,264 times
Make sure you price shop!! Also, if you book online, you can usually get a 10% to 15% discount. Also, Penske will give you the online discount and also a AAA discount.

Personally I like Budget, Ryder, and Penske. I like Ryder the best, but they are in town only.

I tend to stay away from Uhaul unless desperate. I have found Penske to be a little more expensive than Budget and Ryder (both very acceptable) - but if you price shop you should do okay!

good luck!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:50 PM

355 posts, read 2,556,078 times
Go with Penske! I rented a U-Haul once and I was very frightened of the truck. It ran horribly and was very old. I got the biggest one they got. It was a manual and had the worst clutch I have ever seen. I was scarred the truck would flip over because it was so ragity and old. Fortunately, it did not break down like most U-Hauls do. I hated driving that truck and could not wait to return it. The next time I moved I used Budget Rental Truck and it was like being in heaven. The truck that I got from Budget was a brand new truck and had a/c, radio, and all the other things you would want. I actually extended my rental on the Budget truck simply because it was so nice.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:52 PM

3,491 posts, read 3,454,411 times
I'd have to go with Penske on this one. Uhaul just doesn't have the horse power nor track record(pun intended). Now if were Penske vs. Gibbs, well that'll be different.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 45,662 times
Thumbs up Ryder Is the Best

I worked 14 years with Ryder. Penske is more seen in the consumer market because Ryder pulled out years ago(yellow trucks). But you should use Ryder they still rent to consumers and have the best quality service plus 24 hour road side assistance. U Haul you got what you paid for. For one ways use Penske. Round trips always go Ryder.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:06 AM

3,211 posts, read 7,862,855 times
Just got done with a Penske 22' Diesel and a car trailer.

Between the 10 percent book on line discount and at least 13 percent off for AAA it was much cheaper than Uhaul. And the truck has a diesel. Which for me was a major selling point. The truck was a 2005 but it had 70k already. Although, you really could not tell. The truck was in great shape and the car trailer was also. The people we rented from in Dallas were really nice.

Drove it from Dallas to Denver. We had the truck hammered down and it was limited to 70mph. So we got about 7-9 mpg. I am sure it would have gotten better if we stayed at 60. But also the drive from Dallas to Denver gains almost 5000' so that didn't help. However, since it was a diesel it was a turbo. And that helped at the higher altitude.

The truck did have one problem. A coolant hose opened up. Thankfully, it happened when we were unloading in Denver. I called the next morning and it was fixed around noon. I was talking with the service guy (Contracted). I asked about Uhaul. He said they used to service them. But they stopped....to much trouble workin on uhaul trucks because of the poor quaility of the maintance done to them.

Anyways, I would rent Penske again!

James

Old 11-10-2007, 10:14 AM

7 posts, read 54,252 times
Love this Forum site. Moving in 16 days from MA to NC. Thanks T.S. for the info on the location discount, I will look into that. Just cancel my reservation this morning at 8am with Uhaul and went with Penske. Save $809.00. I did not know that fate would have taken me to this forum. Uhaul is only good for local moves. Thanks guys.

Off the subject:
Can't remember how to post a message/question.
Looking for a restaurant in NC that does not serve Pork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues