Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 118,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhaulManager View Post
Fact:
U-Haul performs service on it's trucks every 5000 miles, Penske--every 8000 miles. U-haul employs thousands of ASE certified mechanics.

Fact:
U-Haul has more new trucks in it's fleet (10', 14', 17' 26') than Penske has in it's ENTIRE FLEET.

Fact:
U-haul has over 22,000 drop-off locations across the US and Canada. Penske makes it's customers drop off hundreds of miles away from the customers destination because they don't have nearly as many drop off locations, which is why they give you "unlimited" miles.

Fact:
Penske trucks are designed for loading docks, Uhaul trucks have low decks.

Fact:
U-Haul will ALWAYS beat Penske and Budget rates.

Fact:
Uhaul trucks run on unleaded fuel, Penske trucks run on diesel.

Fact: That's because U-Suck trucks can't make it to 8000 miles without falling apart.

Fact: I can't argue numbers as I have no access to them. I did a little searching and found two retired trucks for sale. The Penske truck was retired with 120,066 miles on it and is an '04 Model Year. The Uhaul was retired with 246,856 miles on it and is an '01 year. That means someone was driving it to put those last few miles on it, I'd be terrified to drive cross-country in something with that many miles, especially a gas engine as your so proud of.

Fact: Who cares, I have unlimited miles! And they have always had a local dropoff for the 3 times I've moved and done some comparison shopping. I just never used them because Budget and Ryder offered a better deal.

Fact: Guess what I prefer? Loading dock height! Especially when I rent a local truck, I love renting those little Izuzu trucks with the lift on the back, much easier than a ramp. Oh yeah, U-suck doesn't offer anything like that do they? Penske, Ryder, and Budget do, why don't you?

Fact: So what? You don't beat them by more than $100 dollars at the most, I've moved several times in the last few years and there's never been much difference, especially for long distance moves. Besides, I'd rather rent a good quality vehicle and pay for it.

Fact: Thanks, you made a good point for me. I hate driving gas powered trucks, I rented a GMC (and no your Fords aren't any different) from Budget and it was a slug, nothing wrong with it, but a gas engine just can't match the torque of a diesel. It would hardly move empty, muchless once I had it loaded, I had a hard time maintaining 65mph on the interstate as well. The time before that I got a Diesel Izuzu from Budget and that thing was a monster and only a 4-cylinder! I had no problems keeping my speed and I had to keep my foot off the gas starting out from a stop, it would accellerate so fast that I would hear my stuff falling over in the rear.
The only thing I will say about U-Suck is that they tend to have mostly Fords and I'm a Ford fan. Only a Ford could put up with the abuse and lack of maintenance it receives while doing duty as a U-Suck Jalopy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 09:32 PM

24 posts, read 281,892 times
Quote:
Fact:
Penske trucks are designed for loading docks, Uhaul trucks have low decks.
Big deal. The Penske trucks have a loading ramp. You also lose floor space with the wheel wells in the U-Haul trucks.

Quote:
Fact:
U-Haul will ALWAYS beat Penske and Budget rates.
They might be able to beat the rates but who cares if you don't get a truck. With Penske you will ALWAYS have a truck waiting for you when you make a reservation and won't have to go to a different location to pick it up. U-Haul's reservations are more like "suggestions".

Quote:
Fact:
Uhaul trucks run on unleaded fuel, Penske trucks run on diesel.
Wrong. Only the 22' & 26' Penske trucks run on diesel. The others run on gas. Plus, bigger trucks get better mileage using diesel.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:33 AM

823 posts, read 3,921,565 times
Default Budget Truck Rental?

Does anyone have experience with Budget Truck rental? It is much cheaper ($440) than U-Haul ($1050) or Penske ($740) for PA to NC.

Thanks,
Alice

Old 02-22-2007, 11:52 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default my thoughts

I have moved more often that I would like to mention. I have used uhaul and penske.

Uhaul is a little cheaper (even cheaper for interstate) but the trucks I have gotten seem unsafe they are so bad.

Penske I felt that I was driving in a new vehicle. Wasnt worried about that I might breakdown. I used Penske to move from NJ to here and I was very happy. I might use uhaul for very short local moves but nothing more.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:17 PM

15 posts, read 240,470 times
Just mypersonal experience here, but I'd go with the Penske. We have moved cross country twice now, once with UHaul and once with Penske. Both times we used the largest truck. The biggest difference...Penske trucks are newer, and our gas expenses were cut almost by half because it was a diesel and got much, much better mileage. You can book online and save a couple hundred dollars with their online coupons. Their customer service far surpassed that of Uhaul, and whoever said that you will see more Penskes on the road was absolutely right! Pay attention when you're driving...that Uhaul only has a few trucks on the road says a lot about their service, etc.

When we booked our Uhaul for the first move, it was reserved about a month in advance. The morning we went to pick up our truck, they didn't have it on the lot and were very nonapologetic. We waited hours and then had to take two smaller trucks. That meant finding another driver who we then had to pay to fly back. Uhaul didn't care, they didn't refund but $100. We will never use them again.
You'll be happy with Penske, and you'll get a better deal!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:20 PM

15 posts, read 240,470 times
Just in response to the UhaulManager here...we booked a Penske 26' truck that ran on diesel and it got way better mileage than the 22' Uhaul that ran on gas. I've still got the receipts to prove it...we saved almost half with the larger Penske (and before you ask, the gas/diesel rates over the two time periods were negligible--about 2 cents higher actually on the trip with the Penske)

Old 09-10-2007, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 93,393 times
Default Penske > Uhaul

I was at first going to go with Uhaul (simply because I see them being used all over town) ... but I got a second estimate after I "reserved with Uhaul ... Here is what I found:

1) You might have noticed the "quotation marks" around the word "reserved" in my Uhaul "reservation" as stated above — Uhaul does not even guarantee a moving truck will be ready for you for any reservation you make. They flat out told me when I was there that if another person got there before I did on the day I reserved it and made a payment before me, they would cancel my reservation and give it to that person. I had family coming 600+ miles away to help me move and a mandatory move in date with my new apartment which was about four hours away...we could have been completely screwed.

2) The price for the rental of Penske truck was about 45% cheaper than Uhaul.

3) There was an unlimited amount of miles I could put on it (Uhaul gave me a set number of miles I was allowed to put on it, and for each additional mile I'd be charged for)

3) The all around service is superior with Penske. The people spoke English fine (They did not at Uhaul) They give you a full tank of gas, and expect it to be full upon return. Uhaul gives you whatever amount of gas is in the tank, and then tells you to have it at that level upon return — (it's not an exact measurement)

4) I also immediately cancelled my Uhaul reservation after I found this information out from Penske. I then, a few days later called Uhaul back just to make sure my cancellation went through and was confirmed — which it was not and I had to do it all over again. There could have been a fee put on my credit card for not showing up on my reservation day (that is, if no one else paid for and and stole my reservation)

IN CONCLUSION, PENSKE > UHAUL

Old 09-10-2007, 09:08 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
I had a bad experience with U-Haul, similar to what people here are saying. I don't know if Budget or Penske is any better, but I know that I'll never use U-Haul again.

I rented from the place in downtown Wilmington, on 3rd street. The service was slow and apathetic, they didn't have my truck ready at my "reservation" time, and they tried 2 different trucks before they could find one that would crank. I got a 15-year-old gasoline Ford F-350 with 275,000 miles and bald tires, which would overheat when I exceeded 45mph. Nothing tragic happened, but I know that I'll try a different company next time. I remember while creeping down I-40 with my emergency lights on, being passed by someone in a shiny yellow 2005 Penske truck, and feeling envious.. lol.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:24 PM

573 posts, read 2,441,985 times
We had a reservation with UHaul a few days ago...out the door total $1695. I was curious so I checked into Penske. They initially gave us a higher rate than UHaul but for some reason I felt more comfortable with the reservation. Then the woman called back and offered us $1495. I called UHaul to cancel. They offered $1363. I accepted. I called Penske. They matched it. I called UHaul to cancel...they said, we can take $50 off the price. I was done with the price wars, still cancelled and am happy with my Penske rental.

The pickup for the UHaul is at a used car dealership and all I heard was yelling in the background. The owner said he would personally go and "pick-up" a new truck on the day we were going to pick it up.

The pickup for the Penske is at a brand new storage facility and the woman guaranteed the age of the truck would be no older than 1 year old. They also told me they are the only company that guarantees their trucks.

I am actually looking forward to picking up our truck at 10am this Thursday. I was actually a little nervous dealing with UHaul. It's pretty funny...we complained a little bit and saved a lot of money...good advice to all. We could've kept our mouth's shut and would have had to pay almost $1700.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:10 AM

276 posts, read 1,141,991 times
I haven't used Uhaul for anything other than local in town moves and even then they ********* over. They call you the day b4 you're scheduled to pick up and they tell you where to pick it up. I don't know how many times I've had to drive past 2 locations to get to the one they assigned me or how many times I go to pick up a truck and there's not one waiting on me. I make them find one and they go get and bring it back to the location. Their trucks are horrible. If you need maintenance cus you broke down, you are talking to somebody working from home, I turned down the job cus they don't pay worth a da--...if you don't believe that, go to Work Place Like Home in the forums and read about Uhaul.

Now I did rent a Budget truck right after Katrina once I found out my things were ok. Rented it in Jackson, MS drove to Biloxi, MS and then to Atlanta, didn't have not 1 problem. Now I'm in AZ and will either use Penske (recommended from a dude at work) or Budget when I relocate back to the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues