Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 PM

175 posts, read 1,485,621 times

Advertisements

I am shipping my car and THEY won't let me put a houseplant in it, of course you can't take your plants on the airplane when you fly, and I don't suppose moving companies (or ABF-U pack) will let me pack plants in either!! So if you're not driving across country (and I'm not....1,700 miles is just toooo far) how do you transport your plants to your new state??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 07:39 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,107,122 times
I'm a houseplant person, too, kitty3. I really enjoy them. Unfortunately, there really isn't anything you can do. Sometimes you just have to let them go to a good home and start again.

I know you didn't ask for anymore advice than that, so forgive me for presuming to add more. Since you're moving 1,700 miles and making a brand new start for yourself (Congratulations! How exciting is that?), try to shed as much extra stuff as possible and start your new life lighter, freed from a lot of clutter and "stuff." It may seem hard to get rid of things, but once you do, and settle in, you'll be amazed at how light and freeing it really is!

Very best wishes to you! Travel safely!

Old 03-27-2008, 07:52 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,983,217 times
Anyone know if it's possible to ship plants through UPS or through the US postal system?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,498,398 times
I stuck a ficas on the moving truck. It lived for a couple more years, but it came out of the truck a little bent and never fully recovered.

So that was fine, but in hindsight I might as well have given it away.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Anyone know if it's possible to ship plants through UPS or through the US postal system?
I don't believe it's legal to do that, actually. I'm not sure but something in me has a check about it. Besides, the way the boxes get treated by the post office and UPS, even with very careful packing, the plant would arrive an utter mess!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:19 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,983,217 times
The only other thought, if your plants have dear sentimental value, is to put them in "foster care" with a friend or family member who'll be eventually driving out to your new home and can bring them along. BUT, depending on what state you're moving to, regulations might prohibit bringing in the plants in any way-shape-form. I know that Florida requires an inspection certificate for any houseplants crossing the state line.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:54 AM

[quote=mawipafl;3269238]The only other thought, if your plants have dear sentimental value, is to put them in "foster care" with a friend or family member who'll be eventually driving out to your new home and can bring them along. [/i]

If you have a friend willing to drive 1,700 miles just to bring you your houseplants, you should marry that person, relative or not! LOL That's a VERY good friend to do that!

Quote:
BUT, depending on what state you're moving to, regulations might prohibit bringing in the plants in any way-shape-form. I know that Florida requires an inspection certificate for any houseplants crossing the state line.
That's just stupid. Of course, in Florida, I can see the need for it.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:07 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,112,598 times
kitty
I have mailed cutting of some of my plants all over the US.
One thing you might do with the really special plants is start some cuttings and once you get to your new home have a friend send you the cuttings.
You will need to remove the cutting from the pot and wrap the roots with damp paper towels then place in a big zip bag. use popcorn to cushion them in the box. Also use the 3 day priority mail.

One thing to remember is 1700 miles is going to probably result in a totally new planting zone.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
kitty
I have mailed cutting of some of my plants all over the US.
One thing you might do with the really special plants is start some cuttings and once you get to your new home have a friend send you the cuttings.
You will need to remove the cutting from the pot and wrap the roots with damp paper towels then place in a big zip bag. use popcorn to cushion them in the box. Also use the 3 day priority mail.

One thing to remember is 1700 miles is going to probably result in a totally new planting zone.
Best answer yet! Great job, Karla!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:35 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,512 times
I asked the new homeowners if they wanted my plants - and they said yes. They were excited and happy as they were in the same situation.

I did re-pot 2 of them because I liked those particular containers (and they were rather expensive).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues