Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 12:50 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times

Advertisements

I looked for the best place to put this, this was the closest I could get.

This is the SECOND time this has happened to me! Last move 2 years ago, same deal, forward started five days prior to date I requested. In that case the place had a locked mailbox (condo) and was unoccupied so it was no harm done but still made me mad.

I put in a change of address online on May 22. I have a USPS account and Informed Delivery.

The start date I entered -and confirmation correctly states- is June 8.

Today via Informed Delivery I realized I had 3 mailpieces from Th-Sat including one that is from the bank and must be the letter they automatically send when one changes address on one's account (which I did same day) that I HAVEN'T received!

I am presuming this is because they started the forward too soon; this happened to me as I said last time.

I haven't even closed on the new place and won't be there until June 9! I'm not thrilled with the seller getting my mail.

I emailed USPS from my online account. Why would this happen, what else should I do and just ugh!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 01:19 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
So these "early pieces" were actually forwarded from the old address right (yellow USPS sticker on them?). Haven't had that problem.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
So these "early pieces" were actually forwarded from the old address right (yellow USPS sticker on them?). Haven't had that problem.
In the case 2 years ago, yep had yellow sticker and went to new address starting 5 days prior to date I requested.

This time, I am just presuming the same thing happened as ID shows I should've gotten 2 on Th and 1 on Sat; none are here!

They must be forwarding them too soon again, or they'd be here I'm thinking.

I'll go to the local p.o. on Tues but am obsessing and stressing til then

Old 05-28-2018, 02:42 PM

375 posts, read 608,835 times
Yup, I've put in a CoA online for two weeks away only to have the PO immediately start forwarding my mail. They just can't/don't read very well.

I'm about to move again and this time I'll wait until two days before my move to put in a CoA.

But hey, it gets worse: the seller I bought this house from last year and who moved to the South is getting his mail addressed to his new South address 'yellow labeled' and forwarded to this house that he's not ever coming back to.

And...I recently rented a private mail box in a town 20 minutes away until I relocate. Haven't used it; told nobody about it; but several of my current accounts already have that new address.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90077 View Post
Yup, I've put in a CoA online for two weeks away only to have the PO immediately start forwarding my mail. They just can't/don't read very well.

I'm about to move again and this time I'll wait until two days before my move to put in a CoA.

But hey, it gets worse: the seller I bought this house from last year and who moved to the South is getting his mail addressed to his new South address 'yellow labeled' and forwarded to this house that he's not ever coming back to.

And...I recently rented a private mail box in a town 20 minutes away until I relocate. Haven't used it; told nobody about it; but several of my current accounts already have that new address.
OMG Wait. Do you mean bank accounts have the private mailbox address? HOW?? That is scary, wth!

I ended up canceling it online yesterday; I'll wait til I get to the new place before I set it up again. My buyer here may get a few pieces (though of course I changed all important addresses so what she gets won't be important) but she's the sort who can be trusted with it (elderly lady).

Now I'm obsessing tha the cancellation won't go through. It'll be cool if any postal employess hit this thread up with and explanation of how and why this happens.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:04 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I just moved myself, and also rented a private mailbox. The informed delivery is still in effect at my old address, and today I have a letter from SS and the packet from the USPS, along wtih some junk mail. My forwarding has already gone into effect to my PMB, but you can't have informed delivery to a PMB. So I'm going to change it to my home address, just to see what junk mail I'm getting that day.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I just moved myself, and also rented a private mailbox. The informed delivery is still in effect at my old address, and today I have a letter from SS and the packet from the USPS, along wtih some junk mail. My forwarding has already gone into effect to my PMB, but you can't have informed delivery to a PMB. So I'm going to change it to my home address, just to see what junk mail I'm getting that day.
Did your forwarding go into effect on the day you requested?

Old 06-01-2018, 03:08 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90077 View Post

If you did it online no human is actually reading the date and it hit the database automatically. My guess is that the wrong digit for the month or the date was inverted and entered for the start date.

From there with the false data in the PARS system, at the point of acceptance your mail is coded for the forwarding address. Many banks and other institutions request that their mailings, the USPS works for the stamp buyer and not the receipt. So the banks got your new address when mail was returned prematurely with the change of address information.

It is only the pieces that are not processed by the automated machines which the delivery carrier pulls from the old address to send to the central forwarding system. The majority of forwarded mail is never seen by the carrier, as opposed to the past where the delivery route carrier needed to memorize every active forwarding order from his hundreds of delivery points. And where substitute carriers never knew who moved and depended upon new residents to return the mail which should have been forwarded.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
If you did it online no human is actually reading the date and it hit the database automatically. My guess is that the wrong digit for the month or the date was inverted and entered for the start date.

From there with the false data in the PARS system, at the point of acceptance your mail is coded for the forwarding address. Many banks and other institutions request that their mailings, the USPS works for the stamp buyer and not the receipt. So the banks got your new address when mail was returned prematurely with the change of address information.

It is only the pieces that are not processed by the automated machines which the delivery carrier pulls from the old address to send to the central forwarding system. The majority of forwarded mail is never seen by the carrier, as opposed to the past where the delivery route carrier needed to memorize every active forwarding order from his hundreds of delivery points. And where substitute carriers never knew who moved and depended upon new residents to return the mail which should have been forwarded.
My confirmation shows the correct date (June 8) so I don't think it could be that sort of error.

I'd already changed the address online at all banks etc.

This is the second time this has happened to me (different states). Local p.o. is blaming carrier; says the system is working correctly, mail NOT being fwd yet, as it shows in my Informed Delivery which it would not were it being fwd. They say carrier must've not noted start date so is SENDING MAIL BACK to the "regional ctr" to forward.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:49 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
My confirmation shows the correct date (June 8) so I don't think it could be that sort of error.

I'd already changed the address online at all banks etc.

This is the second time this has happened to me (different states). Local p.o. is blaming carrier; says the system is working correctly, mail NOT being fwd yet, as it shows in my Informed Delivery which it would not were it being fwd. They say carrier must've not noted start date so is SENDING MAIL BACK to the "regional ctr" to forward.
Yes it happens the regular carrier has thousands of delivery points and up to tens of thousands of names running through his route and he is going on memory of who has an active forwarding order. Substitute carriers working his vacations, jury duty and his standard day off have even less institutional knowledge of the route and in most cases they would deliver to the old address mail that should be forwarded but missed the PARS system. In some cases it is no big deal as it gets returned to the post office for forwarding in others that piece is lost to the recipient and in someone else's hand forever.

At best when something goes to CFS prematurely it comes back. Nobody can forward it by hand because nobody knows the new address, carriers stopped maintaining the actual change of address records over 15 years ago. All he has is a little sticker, like the yellow one that comes on your mail with the name start and end dates and the extract codes which we use to cue the computer should a name be spelled wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues