Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 08:36 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times

Advertisements

a lot of people work under the table for cash, like timber cutting

Old 05-27-2018, 10:23 PM

262 posts, read 202,399 times
Like anywhere else really

most people will work somewhere or make there own money or live off someone else

Old 05-27-2018, 10:40 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am not planning on moving any time soon, but maybe in about four years, I may consider moving out of Jacksonville, FL. I like it, but I'm only here because of employment circumstances. However, I do not like the concept of employment dictating where I must live. There are many places in this country that I would love to live in, but there are no jobs in my field (accounting). However, plenty of people live in these places, so they must have some sort of financial support in order to live in these places. But how?! In general, I don't prefer living in cities, particularly big cities. Jacksonville, FL is way too big for my personal preferences. Like way too big. When I was younger, I preferred a big city, but now I'm 34 and don't like it at all. I would rather live somewhere with jaw dropping scenery like Maine, upstate NY, or somewhere out west that's not a city or anywhere near a big city. But how do people do it??? I feel like my career dictates where I live, and most jobs are overwhelmingly in bigger cities, unfortunately. And 99.99% of the time, employers in tiny cities are totally averse to outsiders looking for work. All they care about is if you have family or some sort of connection established in the area already. It's an absolute shame.
Are you surprised work dictates where you live? You have to live where the work is unless you can work remotely. What are you getting at?

Old 05-27-2018, 10:44 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
As already stated, they have the benefit of being a born and raised local with a 1st preference for any jobs and the benefits of staying at their parents house. Babysitter, pet sitter, accountant, caterer, coffee shop owners, electcrician, freelancer, handyman, teacher, photographer, farmer, waitress, security guard

It doesn’t take much money to live in a close knit/small town communities. And if they get a Walmart or McDonalds, that’s heaven.

Just noticed there was a previous thread about this
//www.city-data.com/forum/rural...ral-areas.html

Old 05-27-2018, 10:57 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
"I do not like the concept of employment dictating where I must live."

Ha ha ha, cough, ha. When you become invaluable, you can live wherever you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues