Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2018, 08:17 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,473,425 times

Advertisements

I was originally going to sell my stuff but I do not think it may be the right decision. My bed is less than 4 years old. Mattresses are extremely expensive. I requested a quote from a company specializing in small moves. I am curious what it will be. I really do not what to buy anything until I purchase a home. Any small movers take your stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 08:31 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,855,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I was originally going to sell my stuff but I do not think it may be the right decision.
Put it all (ALL!!) in storage for the year or so it should take to find, get hired, and get established
in some new good job wherever it is that you want to be and doing whatever it is you want to do there.

RENT a furnished sublet for the duration if you must...
but finding a furnished share situation won't cost anywhere near as much which is
especially important as you can't expect to be in that new good job right off the bat.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:35 AM

I got an apartment. I contemplated renting a furnished room but they do not seem to have them where I will be living. You cannot get an AirB&B. The ones that are around (not really) are not cheap. I am better off getting my own place. Peace of mind is most important to me.

I comprised and got a 6 month lease. I will not be able to take possession until August which is good. The apartment complex vacancy is low. It means people are for the most part happy. I felt very comfortable when I was there. It reminds me of where I currently live. Unless you hate where you are, it is not advisable to deviate too much. It will be hard to acclimate. The area is expensive for renting but reasonable for buying.

I am really hoping for a job I can stay at for several years but you are right. The objective is to preserve my savings. I worked too hard for it.

I think I should keep my stuff. I can't wait for the company to respond to my e-mail. I also have to ship my car. Driving is not feasible. The furthest I have driven is 5 hours. Never again. Costs are adding up. (Sigh)

Old 06-19-2018, 10:43 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,855,820 times
Quote:
I got an apartment.
I know you did... I believe it will prove a mistake.

Quote:
I comprised and got a 6 month lease.
So what? The issue is the unpacking and settling in time, energy and money.
Avoid that altogether UNTIL you really know that you want to stay THERE.

Even if it's just a commute conflict... wrong end of town or such vs the job or new friends.
You're right back to the packing and moving PITA.

What if you go in for an interview and they say ya, know...
and offer you a nice situation at their branch office 100 or 500 miles away.
Don't paint yourself into any corners.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:04 AM

I got my quote. Lol! Ha! Ha! What crack are they smoking? Lol! I guess I will be buying new stuff. The cost is double my budget for furniture.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I know you did... I believe it will prove a mistake.

So what? The issue is the unpacking and settling in time, energy and money.
Avoid that altogether UNTIL you really know that you want to stay THERE.

Even if it's just a commute conflict... wrong end of town or such vs the job or new friends.
You're right back to the packing and moving PITA.

What if you go in for an interview and they say ya, know...
and offer you a nice situation at their branch office 100 or 500 miles away.
Don't paint yourself into any corners.
I guess time will tell.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:16 AM

74 posts, read 50,711 times
Hi goodlife36,
There are a lot of companies that offer small moving services. Browse the Internet and you will find a list of companies in your area for moving services.
Thanks.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:15 AM

Unfortunately, it costs too much. I do not know how people move so often. It is too expensive.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:58 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,595,127 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, it costs too much. I do not know how people move so often. It is too expensive.
When I was a student and moving almost every semester, I owned a pickup truck and didn't acquire more than I would move in one load. I had a single bed, folding bookshelves, and a cardboard dresser that would break down and lie flat. I could pack/load and then unload and put things away in a morning or an afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues