Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 06:05 AM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

If you are moving to an apartment where will you park the trailer until it is sold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 04:12 PM

219 posts, read 163,648 times
Because buying the truck gives us storage and we are not under time constrants. We are selling a house. We want to have most of it packed up and ready to go when it sells. We can do this on our timetable. And we might make money when we sell the truck. If we have to store this while we look for our new house, we just store the loaded truck. We are older with health issues so loading and unloading means hiring someone. It just depends on your situation.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:14 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
At that stage in life I'd go a step further, some of it may not even moving at all. Sell stuff on craigslist and facebook before moving and just move with whatever fits in your car. Use the money you made selling things and the money you saved by not renting a truck or buying a trailer and buy new stuff as needed.
Poor elaboration. The trailer was for my bed, dresser, clothing, personal items, and basic household items (towels, dishes and kitchenware, etc...) Only my actual living room furniture was ancient. I lived in a small one-bedroom apartment. Everything fit into a small trailer which was inexpensive. I drove an SUV, so towing wasn't an issue.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:13 AM

420 posts, read 469,843 times
Uhaul prices are about the same as Upack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Have you considered a U Haul? You can rent a truck one way and a tow bar or trailer to take your car with you. Just out or curiosity on your part, fill out this info and see what they say.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/

Old 07-02-2018, 10:22 AM

420 posts, read 469,843 times
I didn't say buying a truck; I wanted something I can attach to my car. I think it's a trailer or 5th wheel. Just for added storage to haul my things since I shouldn't over load my car with too much weight, I'd assume a separate trailer would work. I swear I saw a product in some catalog that nobody buys from (think Heartland America, Things You Never Knew Existed, etc.). They were selling a portable trailer for a few hundred bucks, less than renting for sure (if you add gas, mileage, and per day). I just can't figure out which company it was selling the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
WHY WOULD YOU BUT SOMETHING THAT CAN BE RENTED? If it's intended for one time use? Rent a truck. Fraction of cost, ZERO liability.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:24 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
If you buy or rent a trailer, be sure to figure out the total weight you can carry and haul. That includes whatever you put in the car, the weight of the trailer, and whatever you put on it.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:30 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Price all your options, when we moved, we junked much of our older furniture & hired a mover to move what we wanted to keep. I called around & found one, that was about the same price as if we hired a u haul & help on each end. The mileage costs can really add up on a long journey, & having them do the lifting was worth the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues