Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 05:56 PM

58 posts, read 65,971 times

Advertisements

You are driving a fairly new car. You should not have any problems. Just check all the fluids and tire pressure before you go. You could join AAA for peace of mind.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Driving is far more enjoyable than the airport experience. Do buy AAA. It can be a godsend.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:31 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Roadside assistance is about $5/mo on my auto insurance policy.
40 is a boring route. You'll spend a year getting through Oklahoma. (If I'm remembering my interstates correctly)

Old 07-04-2018, 08:25 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Third option: have someone drive with you to Ohio and fly back home. I've done the coast-to-coast drive more than once in my life, but it's helpful to have a second person with you when making such a long trip.
Agree, totally.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:29 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obviousmail View Post
I will be moving from San Diego to Ohio for school. My parents are worried and they want me to go with their plan while I just want to go with my plan. Which route is safer? How bad is the drive? I am 27 years old btw and am driving a toyota 2015 scion xb.

Plan A) My plan. I just load up all the things I need and put it in my car then start driving to Ohio. I plan on traveling the easy route so route 40,44,70. Hitting states like arizona, new mexico, texas where it is pretty flat. My biggest concern is if I get a flat, car breaks down etc... I plan to get a gas container, a car starter, and I already have a spare in my car. About a 35 hour drive in total. I will take multiple breaks, sleep in my car or find a motel.

Plan B) My parents plan. I have a uncle who lives in Philadelphia and my parents want me to fly over to Philadelphia my uncle has a spare car which he will give to me to drive to Ohio. All the stuff that I need to bring will be shipped over or carried with me on the plane. It would be about a 6 hour drive to get there. My parents are obviously worried, but I feel that their plan costs too much and too much of a hassle. They could just give me that money lol.

Does my parents have a right to be worried? what is the best plan? What are some precautions that I need to do beforehand?
Do NOT sleep in your car, especially at rest stops!

Old 07-04-2018, 10:12 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
You're 27 years old and will be completely fine no matter what you choose.
Don't carry a gas can!

Just gas up whenever you hit a quarter of a tank. You are planning interstates, gas everywhere.

Get a friend to travel with you, the plains are boring as Hell. It's a much easier drive with two people

I'd tell you to get a carry permit and wear a gun, but you live in CA.

Last edited by mike1003; 07-04-2018 at 10:21 PM..

Old 07-04-2018, 10:18 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Third option: have someone drive with you to Ohio and fly back home. I've done the coast-to-coast drive more than once in my life, but it's helpful to have a second person with you when making such a long trip.
Option 3.1: Take Rt 66 and really enjoy the ride

Did I say, take someone with you to talk to and help drive.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I'd drive, just because it's really great to see more of the country. I've driven a lot of long trips by myself, in old vehicles, and I'm a woman. My tips:

Get AAA, as mentioned.

Use McDonalds for your bathroom breaks.

Don't use rest stops for bathrooms, unless it's a dire emergency.

Take your cell phone.

Get a couple portable battery packs to charge the phone, in case the vehicle dies, and keep them charged.

Don't forget all your charging cables for your phone and the battery packs.

Take a couple gallons of filtered water to keep in your vehicle to drink and in case you need it for the vehicle.

Stop for gas often, whenever you see a gas station in a busy place, for instance where there are also restaurants like a McDonalds, where you can also go to the bathroom safely.

Plan your trip and make reservations for motel rooms ahead of time. I've used Best Westerns and they've always been fine and fairly inexpensive.

OH, and cover your stuff up in your vehicle, to help avoid it getting broken into.

I have learned that I get better gas mileage if I use top tier gas in my old Nissan truck. So, if I can't get to a Costco to get their cheaper, top tier gas, I always stop at Chevron. I think Shell is the next best option for top tier gas. Keeps the engine cleaner, and I get better gas mileage, too. Those stations are usually in safer areas and better lit and kept up, too. Doesn't cost that much more than the cheapo gas, and it's worth it, in my experience.

Whichever way you go, enjoy your new adventure.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:35 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
Map out your route in great detail before you leave. With the internet now you can know where you will stop for gas, eat, and spend the night. When staying in a motel for the night take your most valuable items into the room as packed up cars are easy targets for thieves. Having your car broken into is common when a car is obviously packed with someone's entire possessions.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:57 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Do NOT sleep in your car, especially at rest stops!
I agree, better to spend money on a motel , do not sleep in your car any where especially rest stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues