Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 04:49 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times

Advertisements

This forum had me pretty worried about moving. So many horrible experiences! So many ripoffs, and stories about precious possessions being destroyed or held hostage. But in the end I had no choice. I had to move to a new city. I was so nervous about moving that I seriously considered just giving away or selling everything and buying new things when I got to the new city. Finally, I decided I wanted to take 12 pieces of furniture with me, and I would just risk it.

I'm very glad I did, in fact I wish I hadn't given away some of my things when I saw that getting movers wasn;t as bad as I had feared. Oh well, there's something to be said for downsizing, too. The important things is, the move went very smoothly.

For those looking for a step-by-step of how it worked, here's my account:

1. The day of the interview, the salesman arrived promptly and gauged all the items. He told me the weights he estimated for each item. I thought his estimate was high, but he said that was the best way to do it and if he was off they would charge me less after it was weighed. I was worried that this was the first "fishy" thing to happen, and was also worried that his estimate wasn't binding. But I had interviewd about 6 companies and nobody was offering binding estimates. The price was good so I crossed my fingers and scheduled. He said it would be a 2-day job, but they would aim for a 1-day job if possible. Later that day he called and said they could do a 1 day job.

2. They arrived on time on moving day. They did a good job wrapping everything and I was happy with how they carried things out and loaded the truck. No damage to furniture or to my house.

3. I then raced the truck to my new town, which is 3 1/2 hours away. They stopped to weigh, and I drove straight through so that I would arrive at my house before them.

4. A major accident happened on I-95. I just missed it, they got caught in it and were delayed by more than an hour. I felt really sorry for my movers, but when they finally arrived they were in good spirits and really nice to deal. I don't know that I would be if I had been stuck in that accident.

5. The weight came in less than the salesman had estimated. Guess what, as the salesman had promised the bill was indeed less than he had estimated. No rip-off happened. He had estimated it would be about $2300, and the final bill was $1320 for 12 pieces of oak furniture, including a large dresser, a large and very heavy desk, and king bed. Several items had glass inserts so I bought insurance for $200. After they delivered it they asked if I still wanted the insurance. They let me inspect the furniture after it was delivered, before deciding. I think that may have been unusual and was related to the move arriving later than expected (after the office had closed for making the final payment). But still, it was a very nice and unexpected thing to do.

6. They unloaded quickly, and did a great job carrying everything in, including some items that went up relatively narrow. They did a good job dismantling and then reassembling a few pieces. With each item they let me inspect thoroughly for damage--didn't find any. I thought they were really nice about this, considering they had had a long day.

7. I waited a few months to write this, just in case there was some unexpected bill or problem that might arise. I was so convinced that all moving companies are terrible, and that you should just expect the worst. I think I had just read too many negative reviews.

So, FWIW, not everyone has bad experiences. I know many people so, but there are upstanding companies and workers out there.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 07-10-2018 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 07:27 AM

139 posts, read 101,830 times
Glad to know that you had a good experience. Which company did you use?

Old 07-11-2018, 10:45 AM

My Guys. We were nervous about using a smaller company, but two people I know recommended them. I'm glad we listened to them.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:48 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
I wrote in another thread about moving cross-country and the excellent service we got from Bekins. For as many things that can go wrong, our move was as good as it could be. It's nice to hear that other people have have also had good experiences.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:31 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
So glad you had a good experience. I had good experiences up until the last one (two weeks ago). They left out queen mattress back in Tampa (our original city 1300 miles away) and lost at least lone other box and a toolbox. And while they have admitted the mattress is still down on their loading dock in Tampa they are dinking us around pretty badly. I've used movers 4 tiomes previously, all without problems. But this is the first time since marrying my husband and he has been less than impressed to say the least. I guess with 4 good expereiences I was due for a bad one!

Old 12-26-2018, 10:39 AM

7 posts, read 2,858 times
Which company you used? Can you suggest me some good movers in NYC?

Old 12-26-2018, 11:24 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
We will be looking for movers in few months. Thanks for posting OP!

Old 12-27-2018, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinnnyc View Post
Which company you used? Can you suggest me some good movers in NYC?

My Guys. I don't think they operate in NYC, though. Hope you find a company you like.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:01 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
That's great they worked out so well for you! That company has received both good and bad reviews, you were one of the lucky ones!!

Old 12-28-2018, 04:43 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I've used Two Men and a Truck for my last three moves and have been very satisfied. Not sure if they are a nationwide company or just a local one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues