Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 07:42 PM

147 posts, read 157,845 times

Advertisements

I recently moved my belongings in a trailer to Tampa Florida from Chicago I was trying to decide for two years and want to Tampa three times and decided to go. When I got here I had a gut feeling before signing a lease that I made the wrong decision. Florida might have been right but maybe I was on wrong coast. I lived by ocean before in San Diego and Hawaii when in military and the gulf is missing that energy. Anyways while I was apartment hunting my stuff was in storage I brought it down in a trailer.

I figured instead of wasting money on hotel where I am in this dilemma where I do not even know what city I want to live in I am all over the place but feel I want to be a days drive under 12 hours from grandparents in North. Carolinaona who I see at least 4 times a year .

I was thinking instead of wasting money to go to grandparents for couple weeks and try to settle my mind I am really stressed living in hotel past week and half. I also can help grandparents with house and yard while there. And bring them to Golden corral everyday which they love.

Is it crazy for me to bring my belongings up to North Carolina and put in storage? I was thinking better to have in more central location location in case I move back to Chicago or other places I am thinking about like Charlotte, ashville, Jacksonville.
I am middle aged but have a pension has anyone been in a situation where they were lost and could not decide where to live ?

I hardly saw my family in Chicago so I figured why not live somewhere else.

Oh and I think it might be more stressful if I leave my belongings in storage about one bedroom apt worth of stuff in Tampa and decide I do not want to live there then I would have to drive back down and get it. So am I making a rational decision to put my stuff in storage in North Carolina while I am deciding what to do at grandparents house.

Last edited by Rambo2018; 07-10-2018 at 09:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 08:53 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Rambo, first of all I don't think you're crazy for the North Carolina idea. And I have learned through the years to trust my gut feeling.

Have you thought about an RV to travel around in while you research places? Do your grandparents have a space to park if you consider that option?

It may not be wise to the yourself down with a lease until you're sure of what you want to do & where you want to be. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:06 PM

I can't afford an RV but I was looking at this 3000 dollar camper trailer all it has is some cabinets and a queen bed. I never travelled with a camper but could be a good idea for couple months . My grandparents have parking but not for RV for camper. I have to be careful how long I stay at grandparents because they get upset when I leave and if I stay to long it will be hard for me to leave but they live in a small town that would not be good for me to live in long term

Old 07-10-2018, 09:11 PM

I mean maybe I could afford RV but that's a long term decision are you suggesting getting an RV and my grandparents being home base?

Old 07-10-2018, 09:35 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,293,948 times
I think you should investigate/research RV living websites. Put it in your search engine. Fascinating!

Many folks have vans, not rv's. Some even have modified their cars.

The idea is to not put yourself into a lease until you're sure where you want to be.

I will warn you though that you will be spending hours reading on this topic. Ah, if I was not disabled & an elder I would contemplate living that way. Then again, I need the creature comforts of a stable life.

Do something that will allow you to explore other areas before you make the decision on where to live.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:40 PM

I am sorry that your disability is keeping you from. Doing that. I will read more about it. I am glad i did not sign lease I feel free for the time being.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Put your stuff in storage where it's cheapest, but still somewhere that makes sense to get to it when you're ready to move. If your temporary home base is going to be near your grandparents, then you're going to be there anyway, so moving your stuff from there won't be a huge inconvenience, no matter where you decide to end up.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Put your stuff in storage where it's cheapest, but still somewhere that makes sense to get to it when you're ready to move. If your temporary home base is going to be near your grandparents, then you're going to be there anyway, so moving your stuff from there won't be a huge inconvenience, no matter where you decide to end up.
Thanks for input that's what I am going to do

Old 07-11-2018, 08:06 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Try the gulf side instead of the bay side. There's definitely a different vibe in Tampa vs St Pete and the assorted beach towns.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:10 AM

Oh sorry I was in the Palm harbor oldsmar and Clearwater area the most I felt it was to dense and like one long strip mall.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues