Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:13 AM

561 posts, read 323,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination Succeed View Post
Couple years ago, I had made the decision to pack up from my rented condo...and put everything I acquire over 5 years into an 8x10 storage while I traveled. My rent kept going up, and I wasn't making more money. At the time it seemed like a good idea.

After moving from my apartment, I moved 1,000 miles away with a friend, for about a year and a half. When the lease ended, I acquired the majority of the furnishings. Well, I didn't find a place because I didn't have inclination to stay. So, those things have also went into storage.

So you guessed it, I ended up getting a second storage unit...slightly larger: 10x15. This has been going on now since June of 2017. I pay $100 for one, $160 for the other. When adding late fees, it can be $20-40 more. Yes it's cheaper than renting, but it's really draining financially. I pay the dues by the 22nd and 5th each month.

The hardest part is the fact that each unit is 1,000 miles apart. I live at the moment an additional 700-1,800 miles away from each. I visit each unit about every 2-3 months, but one of them I've not visited since November last year...but it's climate controlled and indoors. The other is indoors but not climate controlled...but it's in Tennessee and so far I've not had issues with mold/mildew.

Everytime the bills come around, I just wish I could get out of them. But I'm having no luck finding an apartment. Everywhere wants too much rent money upfront. I can't get ahold of a large enough lump sum of cash to make anything happen as far as getting into a new place.

I used to live in Texas briefly which had $99 move in specials and such. I can't find those in any of the state's I have storage units or domicile in. Selling the stuff isn't a desire for me because lot of is essential things. I threw the junk out before it went it. I have to make sure that even if I find the place, I have enough set aside to also make the move. Right now I'm living with relatives, and at 30...it's soul destroying to me.

These things do not add up. I don't know anyone that keeps "essential things" 1800 miles away and visits it every 2 or 3 months. If your soul were being destroyed you would sell the stuff and use that money along with way you save in monthly storage to pay the deposits on your own place. Clearly you don't have the desire to actually go to the trouble of doing that. It would be interesting you hear your relatives take on how happy they are with all this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
My thing is, if I just give it up to auction...that would essentially defeat the purpose of all this time storing things. Even if I store for 6 more months, and then take out: what would be the point of letting them auction everything off? Also, I recently took some items out of storage (including a 38" TV) and they all work and smell fine. Also had my favorite coats, lamp, different pillows I've collected taken out as I didn't want the humidity to get to them. Nothing is damaged. I also moved my 8x10 storage unit last year to a new facility. I thought everything was going to be ruined...yet everything was exactly as I had moved it in, because it's a dry climate and most times the storage unit would keep a cool temperature.

It's all about PROPERLY storing items. Some people I see have stuff piled to the ceiling. You can't do that. All of my stuff is stored to where I can walk around without stuff falling on top of me.

It's easy to say get rid of it, but I look at it like this: if I had an apartment and traveled like I did: I'd be spending more. Even its $3,000 I've spent, that's only 3 months rent in most places. I don't want to start back over when I get an apartment, sleeping and eating on the floor. It's also not as easy to just "buy everything over again" because when you move someplace, that takes time and the first few months moving in, is usually not the best time to make extra purchases. And I have to pay to live somewhere right? I mean...what was I supposed to do at the time I moved, got rid of everything? I tried that in the past to sell stuff when I moved: either people don't want it or it would take too long to sell in the short amount of time I had to move.

But I understand what all are saying. Also, the costs to move the items depending on where I move, could vary based on where I go.

You have a lot of stuff. You pay to store the stuff. You don't want to get rid of ANY of the stuff.

What exactly is the question?

Old 01-31-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
If I were to appraise everything I had in my storage unit from starting fresh, I'd say likely $5,000. That's not something I can replace within a year or 2.
I bet you would be (unpleasantly) shocked at what your stuff is actually worth. Most people are.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:01 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
I bet you would be (unpleasantly) shocked at what your stuff is actually worth. Most people are.
"worth" and cost to replace aren't necessarily synonymous.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:53 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Note: Ugh... I just noticed that this thread is 7 months old. Hopefully, your problem is resolved now.
Well, this is the OP who just posted about relishing road rage....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues