Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 06:04 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination Succeed View Post
My thing is, if I just give it up to auction...that would essentially defeat the purpose of all this time storing things. Even if I store for 6 more months, and then take out: what would be the point of letting them auction everything off? Also, I recently took some items out of storage (including a 38" TV) and they all work and smell fine. Also had my favorite coats, lamp, different pillows I've collected taken out as I didn't want the humidity to get to them. Nothing is damaged. I also moved my 8x10 storage unit last year to a new facility. I thought everything was going to be ruined...yet everything was exactly as I had moved it in, because it's a dry climate and most times the storage unit would keep a cool temperature.

It's all about PROPERLY storing items. Some people I see have stuff piled to the ceiling. You can't do that. All of my stuff is stored to where I can walk around without stuff falling on top of me.

It's easy to say get rid of it, but I look at it like this: if I had an apartment and traveled like I did: I'd be spending more. Even its $3,000 I've spent, that's only 3 months rent in most places. I don't want to start back over when I get an apartment, sleeping and eating on the floor. It's also not as easy to just "buy everything over again" because when you move someplace, that takes time and the first few months moving in, is usually not the best time to make extra purchases. And I have to pay to live somewhere right? I mean...what was I supposed to do at the time I moved, got rid of everything? I tried that in the past to sell stuff when I moved: either people don't want it or it would take too long to sell in the short amount of time I had to move.

But I understand what all are saying. Also, the costs to move the items depending on where I move, could vary based on where I go.
A pillow collection and lamps? Why are you even storing those? Usually those are items I just buy again wherever I go because I don’t know what the lighting situation is going to be in a new place and I can’t imagine a pillow is going to be that hard to replace. I agree with others. You clearly have a problem. I am not even sure why you didn’t take the TV with you... that isn’t even something I would put into storage. If you already have a TV, then I don’t know why you need to have one (or more) in storage as a single individual. Again, this is just a sign of some deeper issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 06:25 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Get rid of everything in both of the units and stop the money drain.

You are spending more than it would cost to replace all of this stuff one day when you do get a permanent home again

Old 07-24-2018, 08:16 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
OP, maybe you need counseling to get at the real reason for your attachment to the stuff? That may be what gets you over the hump on this. I'm not sure a message board can unpack this for you, without getting too personal.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:56 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,256,609 times
Huh? Ask yourself this question: am I able to live my life while I have all of my “essentials” stashed elsewhere?

If the answer is yes, they aren’t essential at all and you need to have a fire sale ASAP and get your life back.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
You are not alone...

Wife of my good friend has been paying storage 33 years for things that belonged to her parents...

Sad part is the unit was broken into twice...

My friend said it is just the way things are and a small price to pay for harmony...

I bought a home sold by Pack Rats... think the worst you have even seen and it was many times worse... had a real problem so I paid for two 10x30 storage units in their name and filled them!!!

They were so happy to have their things... I also paid for nine 30 yard dumpsters of other stuff...

You guessed it... they lost both storage units after about a year...

At the time I rented the units... I was candid... and said no idea if they will pay or not...

Manger said not a problem... they hold a sale month and have never lost a penny... the sale starts with the lock being cut... doors open... storage bids fees and back rent and then it goes from there.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:38 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
Pillows are not important. And neither are lamps. They are easily replaced. Not owning these things is freedom. You don't have to spend time searching storage rooms. You aren't spending money to store them so you can work towards other goals. When you get more settled, you can get buy some new things that fit the current you.

Out of curiosity, how much is the stuff in the storage worth? How much have you spent already? How long until the amount you have spent is more than what the stuff is worth to buy it again?

Old 07-24-2018, 11:33 PM

34 posts, read 58,821 times
Wow, I'm kinda dismayed at some of the comments stating I have some sort of hoarder problem. I find that quite offensive and judgemental. That's not the case at al.

To clarify, these storage units are not just pillows and lamps. The pillows were packaged in 2 large boxes that I bought for $2 from uhaul. One of them is a genuine Alpaca pillow I purchased in Nevada. They arent taking up space.

Again, to address the issue: I have items such as couch, bed and mattress, dressers, decorations, and each time I go to my storage unit, I always find something I have use for. Granted, some things I take out each time as well. Which is why I downsized one of my units initially.

I know I asked for advice, which warranted opinions...but can it be done with first getting the facts? I also don't agree that well to do people never use storage. I know a guy who is retired and has lots of money, and had two storage units for a couple years, because he was living with his parents helping them.

I'm in the same boat. I don't feel the storage units are stopping me from moving on. I'm just still searching for the best fit city for me, and also I'm not throwing money to a landlord or property management company either. Id rather be paying what I am for storage now, versus the $850+utilities I would have been paying on my own after my roommate moved out of our 1 bedroom "boutique apartment" in the "ghetto upscale" area of Nashville (they built a Mercedes dealership up the street, suddenly the rents went up to $1,000). On top of that, I was paying like $30-40 a month washing clothes because they were all coin operated. So despite the fact it may seem like I'm "psychotic and crazy" for having two storage units, I would have been worse off had I stayed in the apartment I was in. In the long run I save money using storage, but obviously I can't do it forever and do want out.

The U.S. has changed so much, it's hard to make a quick decision. In Denver, I used to pay $25 a day for an extended stay place until I found my apartment, back in 2011. Now they want close to a $100 a day. Hotels are high, apartments are high. I'm looking to move to the high deserts of the southwest to avoid this garbage.

For all the people saying I should let everything get taken away, how about donating some money to help me locate and move into a place, or pay for all the things I'd give up? If I were to appraise everything I had in my storage unit from starting fresh, I'd say likely $5,000. That's not something I can replace within a year or 2.

I know some people can rationalize and afford to repurchase everything after a move, but I'm not in that position. I rather hold on to what I have, maybe even initially move my stuff to the city I plan to move to, and then later get the apartment in a couple months. What's holding me back is not having a lump sum of cash to access at the moment. Work for me is slow in the summer, probably be September before I'll have enough money to make some moves...

Last edited by Destination Succeed; 07-24-2018 at 11:51 PM..

Old 07-24-2018, 11:47 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Get over it.
Exactly.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:23 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
You don't have a lump sum of cash to access at the moment, because you're paying on the storage units. Just think how much you'd have if you weren't paying on them.

Also, have you taken into consideration what it's going to cost to move all of the belongings to your new apartment? You're better off getting rid everything and starting again.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:27 AM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination Succeed View Post
Wow, I'm kinda dismayed at some of the comments stating I have some sort of hoarder problem. I find that quite offensive and judgemental. That's not the case at al.

To clarify, these storage units are not just pillows and lamps. The pillows were packaged in 2 large boxes that I bought for $2 from uhaul. One of them is a genuine Alpaca pillow I purchased in Nevada. They arent taking up space.

Again, to address the issue: I have items such as couch, bed and mattress, dressers, decorations, and each time I go to my storage unit, I always find something I have use for. Granted, some things I take out each time as well. Which is why I downsized one of my units initially.

I know I asked for advice, which warranted opinions...but can it be done with first getting the facts? I also don't agree that well to do people never use storage. I know a guy who is retired and has lots of money, and had two storage units for a couple years, because he was living with his parents helping them.

I'm in the same boat. I don't feel the storage units are stopping me from moving on. I'm just still searching for the best fit city for me, and also I'm not throwing money to a landlord or property management company either. Id rather be paying what I am for storage now, versus the $850+utilities I would have been paying on my own after my roommate moved out of our 1 bedroom "boutique apartment" in the "ghetto upscale" area of Nashville (they built a Mercedes dealership up the street, suddenly the rents went up to $1,000). On top of that, I was paying like $30-40 a month washing clothes because they were all coin operated. So despite the fact it may seem like I'm "psychotic and crazy" for having two storage units, I would have been worse off had I stayed in the apartment I was in. In the long run I save money using storage, but obviously I can't do it forever and do want out.

The U.S. has changed so much, it's hard to make a quick decision. In Denver, I used to pay $25 a day for an extended stay place until I found my apartment, back in 2011. Now they want close to a $100 a day. Hotels are high, apartments are high. I'm looking to move to the high deserts of the southwest to avoid this garbage.

For all the people saying I should let everything get taken away, how about donating some money to help me locate and move into a place, or pay for all the things I'd give up? If I were to appraise everything I had in my storage unit from starting fresh, I'd say likely $5,000. That's not something I can replace within a year or 2.

I know some people can rationalize and afford to repurchase everything after a move, but I'm not in that position. I rather hold on to what I have, maybe even initially move my stuff to the city I plan to move to, and then later get the apartment in a couple months. What's holding me back is not having a lump sum of cash to access at the moment. Work for me is slow in the summer, probably be September before I'll have enough money to make some moves...
Sounds even more as if the comments were timely. No one is saying dump Everything. We are suggesting that you need to make the effort to sort, pitch, re-group, and prioritize. You know, those steps you are going through a lot of text to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues