Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 05:29 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Put the bedding in the car. I shipped mine from Boston to Denver and filled it up with stuff.
I would love to do this. Which one did you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 06:51 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
I would compare the cost of moving bedding (either buying luggage and paying to check it or the cost of packing materials and shipping it) to just chucking the bedding and buying new when I got there. Same with the car, if you can sell it and buy a replacement for less than what it costs to ship, that's what I'd consider as well.

This link has some tips and tricks for shipping personal items in the car:

https://www.montway.com/blog/shippin...our-car-video/

Old 07-30-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I would compare the cost of moving bedding (either buying luggage and paying to check it or the cost of packing materials and shipping it) to just chucking the bedding and buying new when I got there. Same with the car, if you can sell it and buy a replacement for less than what it costs to ship, that's what I'd consider as well.

This link has some tips and tricks for shipping personal items in the car:

https://www.montway.com/blog/shippin...our-car-video/
I appreciate your post and the video. It never occurred to me to get rid of all of it. Lol! I am going to put it in the trunk. The company I am considering allows 50 pounds. I would never put anything in the car itself only the trunk.

I am not going to give up my car. She has low mileage and it is in excellent shape. I am really nervous about this. I just can not drive 14 hours. That is too much for me. I am only looking at companies with A+ BBB accreditation. She is not worth much moneterily but a car that is free and clear with little problems is priceless.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Put the bedding in the car. I shipped mine from Boston to Denver and filled it up with stuff.
I am doing this. Thanks.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:06 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,518 posts, read 6,325,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I appreciate your post and the video. It never occurred to me to get rid of all of it. Lol! I am going to put it in the trunk. The company I am considering allows 50 pounds. I would never put anything in the car itself only the trunk.

I am not going to give up my car. She has low mileage and it is in excellent shape. I am really nervous about this. I just can not drive 14 hours. That is too much for me. I am only looking at companies with A+ BBB accreditation. She is not worth much moneterily but a car that is free and clear with little problems is priceless.

I agree. Im not keen on driving 14 hrs myself. Don't care for 7 either. You don't have to do the whole 14hrs in one day. Three days at 4 1/2 hours a day and two hotel nights wouldn't be too stressful. Compare the cost of gas and two hotel stays to shipping your car and bedding. Also if you drive you can take more of your stuff.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:49 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am not sure what to do about my bedding. I wonder if I can check in trash bags. Any advice? I am taking the plane.
Leave the old stuff behind and buy new. Too much work to worry about old bedding.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:06 PM

I feel so dirty trying to find an auto transporter. Lies, lies and more lies. I think I found someone. I learned quite a bit. I will call back and ask more intelligent questions tomorrow.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:11 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Leave the old stuff behind and buy new. Too much work to worry about old bedding.
I agree, unless it has sentimental value, like a handmade quilt from a relative, I'd donate it to Salvation army & just buy new in my new home, Sheets are inexpensive.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:30 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I agree, unless it has sentimental value, like a handmade quilt from a relative, I'd donate it to Salvation army & just buy new in my new home, Sheets are inexpensive.
Well, I do agree with you about the sentimental value of handmade family quilts. The sheets I buy are not at all inexpensive and are very difficult to find. There's no way that I'd donate my sheets to the Salvation Army and just buy new ones!

Old 07-30-2018, 03:03 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Regardless of how you move bedding. Get those vacuum bags. It is amazing how much they shrink up & they will keep everythimg clean & dry.

I vote for driving. You can overnight a lot of hotel nights & buy lots of fuel for the price of a car hauling company & plus you'd save the airfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues