Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 04:39 AM

405 posts, read 256,990 times

Advertisements

It is definitely a catch 22. People tell you to move where the jobs are and then call you crazy for moving without a job lined up. I was in a similar situation a year ago. I had decided to retire at 62 and move to Vermont. Then after selling the house, etc, I had second thoughts and decided to move back to Mass and go back to work. So, I had the double situation of finding a job and a house while being out of the area.

Sorry to advise this, but if you know you are a responsible worker with good references and a tenant with a good reputation, sometimes you have to bend the truth on rental applications. I had a friend, who is in the insurance business be my employer contact and say he had hired me, and as far as landlord references, I was a former owner so didn't have those. I was prepared to offer a landlord 6 months rent up front, but fortunately I didn't have to and even at 62 I was able to find a decent position fairly quickly and a house in a good neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 07:39 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I hear people talk about moving somewhere without a job lined out due to companies only hiring local candidates, blah blah. Serious question. Who rents to you if you don't have proof of income or employment? Not once have I rented a place without that info and I've lived in three states. Curious what the experience is of other people.
It's pretty easy. While you're employed, you plan your move to another town. You locate a job there, go there to interview and after you are hired, you then look for a place to rent.

Not having a job is the worst way to move, because then no one is going to offer you a relocation package because it isn't needed any longer. Because you just paid for it out of your town pocket!

If someone has special circumstances, meaning they didn't self-create this drama, then while employed you can rent another place in another town. Then quit your job and move there. I've moved around the country and always moved to another job.

People coming out of school have a relative rent the place in their name.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:06 AM

405 posts, read 256,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post

Not having a job is the worst way to move, because then no one is going to offer you a relocation package because it isn't needed any longer. Because you just paid for it out of your town pocket!

Not having a job is often the reason why people move - to go where the job prospects are better. I doubt the OP is talking about jobs with "relocation packages"

Old 08-10-2018, 12:19 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
My complex allowed you to provide your 60-day notice and they'd try to rent out your unit where you could get out early. They weren't heartless, just no guarantee you'd be off the hook in exactly 60 days if your lease end wasn't coming up.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:15 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
My complex allowed you to provide your 60-day notice and they'd try...
Despite the horror stories littering the renting forum or the hyper assertive statements on the issue
that some make... MOST landlords will try. It's a part of their job and it's in their best interest to.

But this really only applies to breaking what's already been in place and going well for some time.
In the NEW town and with little or no LOCAL job stability... you can't expect a lot of 'give' even with great credit.

Last edited by MrRational; 08-10-2018 at 01:24 PM..

Old 08-10-2018, 05:25 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
I usually stayed in AirBnb's for the most part. I spent a month in a hostel when I moved to SLC. But most of the time I find a room to rent short term.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:37 PM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times
I moved to Charlotte, NC twice and rented an apartment with no job. Once in '91 and again in 98. I got an apartment, no problem. Then I got a job. Then when I moved there in 98, the jobs were not paying what I wanted to so I stayed a while and then moved away. I didn't have a problem either time rent. I had good credit.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:50 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
It's pretty easy. While you're employed, you plan your move to another town. You locate a job there, go there to interview and after you are hired, you then look for a place to rent.

If someone has special circumstances, meaning they didn't self-create this drama, then while employed you can rent another place in another town. Then quit your job and move there. I've moved around the country and always moved to another job.

People coming out of school have a relative rent the place in their name.
I've never relocated without a job either. The point i was making was so many people are always talking about only local candidates get hired, etc so they go somewhere with no job. Every place I've rented has expected proof of employment. Hell one place asked for a pay stub even though I hadn't started the job yet.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've never relocated without a job either. The point i was making was so many people are always talking about only local candidates get hired, etc so they go somewhere with no job. Every place I've rented has expected proof of employment. Hell one place asked for a pay stub even though I hadn't started the job yet.
That is quite the conundrum.
In my case (again, I had a job lined up), I didn't start work yet, so no pay stub, but I did show them the welcome letter the company sent me when I officially accepted the job offer in writing.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:29 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
There are some really adventurous people out there. I’ve heard of people moving somewhere with no job and 2 months of living expenses saved up. My palms sweat just reading about that. Anything less than a year of living expenses saved in cash is a financial emergency as far as I’m concerned and I lose sleep at night when that happened. Let alone 2 months with no job lol I don’t get that at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues