Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:42 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times

Advertisements

Unpopular opinion, but I'll state it as I have lived in 2 countries and 10 states. I don't think it matters. 3 of the cities that I moved to, I had visited many times before. Each one I thought, man I would love to live here! So I finally made it happen. Guess what? I didn't.

Meanwhile, the places I moved to having never even visited, I was the happiest. Part of it I'm sure is the blank slate. No expectations vs places you've visited. Another, the things that have the greatest impact on your happiness where ever you move to, can't be measured in visits. For example, you can't gauge how easy / hard it is to make friends just by visiting. Making friends and building a new social circle is a huge part of moving to a new place. Until you are there on the ground in your new life, you won't know.

Life is short. Make the leap. If you don't like it, save up and try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 11:42 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
I think visiting specific areas is very important even aside from the city itself. The locals don’t agree but I really don’t care, I heard all of these amazing things about Summerlin in Las Vegas and assumed we would love it too. I’ve never been so creeped out by an area in my life. It may be super safe but it was everything awful about “family friendly,” just nothing but houses and hardly any retail or restaurants or excitement, way too far from the Strip / airport, it seemed like some 1950s housing area where everyone has some perfect little family. It was truly a nightmare if you ask me. That’s someone else’s idea of the best area, we hated it immediately and it felt all wrong. Desolate, really.

Then we went to Green Valley and MacDonald Highlands and it immediately felt right and like home. It didn’t take long to make these judgments at all, just knew it when I saw it!

Old 09-26-2018, 11:50 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I thought a week was sufficient to verify my next city. But it really took several years - after the move - to fully show that it was all wrong for me.

Those investigative visits often only show minimal and superficial aspects, and not the crucial day-to-day ones.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:52 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Had vacationed many times in the city I moved to.....visited looking for property about 4 times.

But three yrs. later I moved back to my home state. Just discovered it was not for me.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:52 AM

505 posts, read 583,539 times
Couldn't figure out how to comment on multiple comments. Please see next comment.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:54 AM

505 posts, read 583,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I thought a week was sufficient to verify my next city. But it really took several years - after the move - to fully show that it was all wrong for me.

Those investigative visits often only show minimal and superficial aspects, and not the crucial day-to-day ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Had vacationed many times in the city I moved to.....visited looking for property about 4 times.

But three yrs. later I moved back to my home state. Just discovered it was not for me.
Either care to share what cities specifically? Just curious.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:40 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
You usually know right away if it's for you. If you don't feel "it" then, you probably won't ever.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:35 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
We spent 3-4 days initially. Then returned for a 5 day visit, with a lot of research in between. With the second visit we had a checklist including looking at retail and grocery stores. We also toured with a RE agent showing us the neighborhood options. Once we narrowed it down, we visited the neighborhood at different times of the day to check on noise and traffic patterns.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:57 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I've moved a lot for jobs/promotions. Never visited but did some research before I applied. I never apply to a place I don't think I'd like. I can make the best almost anywhere.
Remember, everywhere you go there will be those who love it and those who hate it.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:52 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
There's no one / fixed answer to the question of this post. But it can be safely said that the more different the new city/area is - including geographic region and city size - the more you will need to look, research, and reflect on how life will be. I got a double-whammy with a totally different region and much smaller city size, for a really lousy end-result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues