Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 07:43 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times

Advertisements

I think we had more than 24.

When we moved from Philadelphia to a rental in Florida, I saved the boxes because I knew we would be moving one more time at the minimum.

So glad I did save them. I had all I needed when we moved from the rental to the newly built forever home.

Staples copy paper boxes are the perfect size for books. Plus they have handles.
I remember we had at least 4 large wardrobe boxes and various other assorted sizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 11:35 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
We ended up with 50 boxes of varying sizes, moving overseas. And 4 large Rubbermaid totes. They were the good U-Haul boxes since it all had to be tough and sealed. You can return any unused ones. It was amazing it all arrived unscathed after 4 moving trucks, a container ship, the Panama Canal, inspections in port....
Whew.

As a side note, I was impressed that our upright piano came apart and in a box which fit perfectly on our couch while being shipped.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:19 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We ended up with 50 boxes of varying sizes, moving overseas. And 4 large Rubbermaid totes. They were the good U-Haul boxes since it all had to be tough and sealed. You can return any unused ones. It was amazing it all arrived unscathed after 4 moving trucks, a container ship, the Panama Canal, inspections in port....
Whew.

As a side note, I was impressed that our upright piano came apart and in a box which fit perfectly on our couch while being shipped.
wow--now YOU made a move!!!
Awesome to know everything arrived intact

say what? The piano was dis-assembled??? Who woulda thunk it

Old 09-06-2018, 12:34 AM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times
I moved from a 3BR 2 bath 1600 square foot ranch style home, to a 2 BR 2 bath 1500 square foot ranch style home, back in 2015. I ended up with a grand total of 53 boxes.

I wrote the number of each box on it in big red numbers using marker, and recorded the main things in each box. That list was a big help to me in locating things after the move. I also wrote the room where the box needed to go at the new house, and that was helpful since the movers were very fast and needed to know.

Many people use hundreds of boxes. I had no idea beforehand how many I would need, so I went back several times to buy a few more.

I did a lot of decluttering before moving and even more while packing. As I packed each item, I'd think, "Is this REALLY something I will want at my new-to-me home?" and donated or threw out quite a bit.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 09-06-2018 at 12:58 AM..

Old 09-06-2018, 02:08 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I moved from a 3BR 2 bath 1600 square foot ranch style home, to a 2 BR 2 bath 1500 square foot ranch style home, back in 2015. I ended up with a grand total of 53 boxes.

I wrote the number of each box on it in big red numbers using marker, and recorded the main things in each box. That list was a big help to me in locating things after the move. I also wrote the room where the box needed to go at the new house, and that was helpful since the movers were very fast and needed to know.

Many people use hundreds of boxes. I had no idea beforehand how many I would need, so I went back several times to buy a few more.

I did a lot of decluttering before moving and even more while packing. As I packed each item, I'd think, "Is this REALLY something I will want at my new-to-me home?" and donated or threw out quite a bit.
thanks so much, makes me feel better because that's about the number of boxes I had used when the movers declared I had way too many. IF I move this time I could possibly have less because as I stated in OP I have constantly downsized since moving here. I plan on downsizing even more whether I move or not.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:09 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Yes....plastic totes from Walmart ....I have about 50 of them.

I learned that trick from a house speculator guy who bought and sold houses for profit.
In the Toronto area, until very recently, you could buy a new home from a builder,
move in, live in it 6 months, then sell it and net a close to $100 grand each time. Better than working
No capital gains taxes but you have live in it minimum 6 months and it has to be your principal residence,
well this guy did that for more than a decade. I figur
He had it down to a science and put all his stuff totes, perfect, as he was moving twice a year.
So I copied his idea
I wouldn't move every 6 months if my life depended on it. HOPEFULLY the next move I make will be to the family cemetery. I've always said the best way to wipe out crime in this country is to make the offenders move entire families. After a year or two of moving everybody's stuff, they'll be begging for mercy! lol

Old 09-06-2018, 08:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I think we used 300, but we had 4 bedrooms.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:24 AM

922 posts, read 790,574 times
We moved from a tiny 1 bedroom apartment in Colorado to southeast Kansas. We were planning on putting everything in storage for a month when we arrived and camping. Like NOLA above, we numbered the boxes and made a list of what they contained. We packed dishes and anything fragile wrapped in our towels and blankets. It was hard to get rid of our plants and our aquarium fish but they were given to friends we knew would appreciate them. We rented a UHaul and towed our car. The cats rode up front with us in a carrier.

I believe we had 53 boxes and our camping equipment. The boxes were all different sizes, basically from grocery and liquor stores. We got rid of most of our furniture before we moved and slept on cots and used camping chairs while we packed.

Good luck on your move!

Old 09-06-2018, 02:13 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Most people on here are low balling the numbers.

Dishware, utensils, office stuff, records, bric a brac, tools, lamps, clocks, pictures, toys, cards, games, speakers, telephones, BOOKS, clocks, fans, food stuffs, hardware, files, cups/glasses, photos, garden tools, liquor, bedding, pillows, wardrobes (boxes-- I had about 15 or so) and on and on.

I moved a 3 bed 2 bath home a couple of years back. Normal stuff. Maybe a couple hundred boxes. Complete house and single car garage filled a large moving van to the brim.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:23 AM

658 posts, read 721,307 times
I recently moved and used about 60 small boxes for the most part because we did the move ourselves and didn't want to haul really heavy large boxes and small ones were just so much easier to arrange and sort and organize, too. We had a few mediums and a few larges (mainly for bedding and soft bulky stuff).

Idaho sounds cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues