Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 12:49 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times

Advertisements

We want to use some kind of "pod" for a significant chunk of our stuff... there are a lot of things we just don't need around, want to have the place "staged", etc. So we want to have something like this dropped off, we fill it, it goes into storage, and when we're ready, it gets dropped off.

PODS, I've heard several bad stories about. So I'm not super hip on them. U-Pack sounded good, but they won't drop off one of their ReloCubes at our current house... we'd have to truck it to their place and load up there, which is a headache.

Are there any other similar services out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 02:14 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
https://www.1800packrat.com/

https://www.uhaul.com/UBox/

https://www.smartboxmovingandstorage.com/ (if available in your area)

Based on personal experience, U-Pack would still be my choice, even if you have to haul stuff to their terminal.

See https://www.move.org/best-moving-container-companies/ for more comments on these 3, and U-Pack and PODS

Old 09-10-2018, 02:41 PM

1,305 posts, read 855,905 times
I am trying to figure out the same thing....does anyone know quickly which lets you keep the container at your home for the longest amount of time at the most reasonable price? Tired of looking at my dining room piled high with boxes, but not ready to load up what little furniture we are taking yet. Seems most only let you have the container for a couple of days and then haul it off...and charge quite a bit for storage.....I lean toward U-Pack as well, though...

Old 09-10-2018, 06:32 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I am trying to figure out the same thing....does anyone know quickly which lets you keep the container at your home for the longest amount of time at the most reasonable price? Tired of looking at my dining room piled high with boxes, but not ready to load up what little furniture we are taking yet. Seems most only let you have the container for a couple of days and then haul it off...and charge quite a bit for storage.....I lean toward U-Pack as well, though...
PODS offer this type of option:

See https://www.pods.com/storage/benefit...age-containers

"Store At Your Place Or A Storage Center

Once you’ve packed your belongings into a PODS storage container, you can either keep it at your property or have it picked up and stored at a secure PODS Storage Center."

IDK if there is a charge for this

Old 09-10-2018, 06:49 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Be careful to verify that any of these services will actually deliver to the area you're moving to, if known.

The complaint I have heard about them in Western WA, for example, is they don't actually deliver the POD to many locations, you have to rent a uHaul and go TO the POD, which is stored somewhere in Seattle or Tacoma, load the stuff and bring it home yourself.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Be careful to verify that any of these services will actually deliver to the area you're moving to, if known.

The complaint I have heard about them in Western WA, for example, is they don't actually deliver the POD to many locations, you have to rent a uHaul and go TO the POD, which is stored somewhere in Seattle or Tacoma, load the stuff and bring it home yourself.
I'll go ahead and double down on this... U-Pack cheerfully sent me a quote, but when I called, "Oh, we don't actually bring the pods to your house in that area, you need to bring your stuff to our service center."

I would strongly encourage anyone reading this to call them, ask about specific addresses / areas, and then ask them to send an email specifically confirming the details. That way, later on if they pull the, "Oh, you need to schlep this stuff around yourself", you have a leg to stand on.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:09 PM

1,305 posts, read 855,905 times
I've seen several PODS around my area, so I think they do deliver here; however, they charge $200+ a month for the storage, even for a smaller container, which seems a mite expensive to me. Was wondering if U-Pack offers a storage option for less....may actually just have to look it up!

Old 09-12-2018, 09:32 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
I just got a quote from PODS and went with them. The price was reasonable. The storage rate for 3 months or more was nowhere near what you were quoted.

Must be geographical pricing and market.

good luck

Old 09-12-2018, 12:43 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Just call us up at Two Men & A Truck. We're movers who care.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:25 PM

FWIW, we wound up with U-Haul's pod product. The price was very close to U-Pack, and we get door-to-door service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues