Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 04:19 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times

Advertisements

I did it for economical reasons. Someone pushed the reset button on me without telling me. I also have self imposed restrictions such as location, commute and job type.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:06 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I moved back to Florida when I said I would never come back because my boys were growing up without any family except my husband and I. All the holidays it was just the four of us. Ironically the younger one who is now 31 hates it here and the older one (33) tolerates it.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:25 AM

74 posts, read 50,855 times
Hi,
I am living in Florida and I want to relocate to Denver because I miss my family.
Thanks.

Old 10-09-2018, 05:55 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
I moved to Portland 7+ years ago for my girlfriend (now fiancé) when we started dating, it was a big risk to say the least, but I also grew up here and had many friends and family in the area. I hate Portland so it was a sacrifice moving back to this miserable high tax rainhole but finally next year we are both headed to Las Vegas.

Primary reason for the relocation would be weather and sunshine, but close behind would be taxes - 0% state versus nearly 10% - for me makes an enormous difference to my finances and I can’t pay a privilege for living somewhere I detest. Even if nothing else changed I would like the extra fortune saved in taxes. Besides that, proximity to Los Angeles (I’m in the film industry), entertainment / dining / night life (24 hour culture) is a huge factor, and politics somewhere substantial in there too. I can’t tolerate living somewhere I’m a complete outsider because it’s so radically liberal. I doubt I’d do any better in a radically religious, conservative place. If you’re a libertarian Nevada is your state, and I want for once to feel like I’m among similar people at least somewhat.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:57 AM

219 posts, read 163,599 times
Because I'm tired of having the state, where we pay property taxes on two pieces of property, treat us like criminals. Because I think if you own riverfront property, you should be able to have a dock. Because I'm tired of the property taxes being jacked up year after year, with no real benefit to me. Basically, I want to live in an area that can't afford many bureaucrats.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:17 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,879 times
I didn't. I only moved 3 miles away, to a better house in a better neighborhood.

Before I retired, I had planned to move to another state. After retirement, moving so far just didn't seem as appealing.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I moved to Portland 7+ years ago for my girlfriend (now fiancé) when we started dating, it was a big risk to say the least, but I also grew up here and had many friends and family in the area. I hate Portland so it was a sacrifice moving back to this miserable high tax rainhole but finally next year we are both headed to Las Vegas.

Primary reason for the relocation would be weather and sunshine, but close behind would be taxes - 0% state versus nearly 10% - for me makes an enormous difference to my finances and I can’t pay a privilege for living somewhere I detest. Even if nothing else changed I would like the extra fortune saved in taxes. Besides that, proximity to Los Angeles (I’m in the film industry), entertainment / dining / night life (24 hour culture) is a huge factor, and politics somewhere substantial in there too. I can’t tolerate living somewhere I’m a complete outsider because it’s so radically liberal. I doubt I’d do any better in a radically religious, conservative place. If you’re a libertarian Nevada is your state, and I want for once to feel like I’m among similar people at least somewhat.
I do not think people like me exist. It is so hard to meet people. Sigh!

Old 10-09-2018, 04:26 PM

Interesting. So far, family is the reason people move.

Taxes was also a factor for me too.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:30 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times
For economic opportunities. And to get away from family. We were living in a high COL area, in debt, and our careers had stalled. So we packed up, left, and have never regretted it.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:18 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,208 times
The state we were living in was taxing us too death, we didn't agree with the way the state was running things, and we were fed up and just done. Hubby landed a great job in Jackson, Wy and we made the move and never looked back. It pains me to even visit family in our old state and we're actively trying to get our family to move out of there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues