Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 07:16 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times

Advertisements

Oil city, PA. Thanks for the link to DP. Good message board with plenty of tips! I want to move out because im too old to live with parents plus I want my own house and rules. Then I can buy whatever I want in my own house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 07:18 PM

88 posts, read 97,894 times
I've said it a thousand times but I think your best bet is to find a not-expensive city with good apartments, rent for awhile, save up, go somewhere you truly LIKE (not just somewhere cheap/nice people) and buy a decent home.

And something more then an associate's degree will help too

Old 12-16-2006, 08:40 PM

122 posts, read 393,140 times
Hmm... A little bit too far north, and WAY too much snow for me. I'd also like some place a bit warmer during the winter than that. And it's rather cloudy. It is far enough away from big cities that people won't be moving there to commute anytime soon, so that's a plus. And it looks pretty, from the city-data pics.

Hope you like snow! Sorry, I don't think I'll be coming to drive up house prices.

Glad you liked the forum I posted.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:49 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
LOL you live in Anchorage! Much colder than Oil city!

Old 12-16-2006, 10:24 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,730,853 times
Default Being self employed is not all gravy.

I would fall into that camp that would advise having more experience with this venture under your belt before moving to fab Oil City.

I would want to know the graphics business was actually a paying gig. I was self employed for about 15 years as a contractor. Had a partner, we built it into a fine well paying venture. But it didn't happen overnight and there were a lot of things that had to be learned, adjustments made and ways of tuning it to fit us exactly. Your paychecks are not predictable, plus have a way of disappearing at the wrong time. Not everybody pays their bills or at least on time, you can spend a huge amount of time chasing new business, especially those who want freebies or aren't sure of what the job is. Must find ways to solve all the problems and increase efficiency especially in acquiring new work or it can eat you alive.

Is the graphics business seasonal with peaks / valleys?? Few businesses are totally recession or down turn proof. Most will have busy / slack periods. Owning your own business also usually means zero safety net, you pay for things most folks don't, like double Social Security, extra insurance costs, medical, retirement, more types of taxes, in short everything, etc.

I usually only worked in good weather pounding nails, wrote software in the winter, both had their disadvantages / advantages. It is best to have more than one line of work or way of earning money. My partner was not so lucky and suffered thru some bad periods, finally he got a job as a fireman and tried to continue as before. It was the begining of the end. Lots of things can trip a fellow up. Partnerships can be tough, many don't last.

Some of my relatives have tried the being out on their own. Most made fair money but eventually went back to work for The Man. Most of them were in the computer field. There is a lot of pressure to perform and they had to deal with all aspects of getting, doing and holding work, including the technical, admin, billing, etc. Long hours and sometimes not getting what they thought it was worth. All self employed can be in danger of getting into depression periods at times, nature of the beast. Vacations are rare, not when you want it or never.

Trying to run a business, move, go thru the transistion between different areas, buy a house, etc, etc sounds like a full plate, especially if things are under funded. Those saying you need a cushion for the unexpected are right on. Nothing can be planned perfect.

You need some sort of exploration period before becoming too committed to a plan that is only vaguely based on hard facts. The cost of living in Oil City may not be as low as you expect. About like Ohio, you can find small towns with all the stores, if you search for them. When you actually get there, you find they have all the goods priced to the moon and depend on folks not being willing to drive to the large cities. True a lot around where I am. You can not buy anything except the normal gas, food, daily living stuff etc. Markups of 100 - 300% are not unheard in some goods, like construction materials, hardware, electronics, etc. In some areas of less prosperous folks they charge more for everything, not less as common sense would dictate. You need time and boots on the ground before getting so deep, before having to do everything at once.

IIRC the median income in Oil City is ~$39,000, it might be a bit like Wellsville, OH, the old very poor who just hold on, some very wealthy old money who never sold out, a smaller minority who still have good paying jobs and the younger mostly poor. Median comes out looking not too bad.

Most start up type businesses are based on having so much cash on hand to fund the initial period where revenues typically are low or nothing. Trying to do everthing close to edge without any contingency or slack means be very lucky all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues