Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 05:02 PM

372 posts, read 219,760 times

Advertisements

Well, my de cluttering is ahead of either going into care or dying.

I'm slowly giving away things I don't use and a few things I want to go to specific people. If I wanted to be a brstad I would start giving people my paintings

Don't know if you think this weird:

I have a large number if old photos, from film, not digital . Most are from trips overseas ,and even a few within Oz.

I reason that my photos are of no interest to anyone else, even I don't look at most of them for years on end. After I die, they will simply be thrown away.

---- So, I bought a white board and made a collage, glueing a couple of dozen photos on on each side., so I cant turn it over from-time-to-time. It hangs on the wall in the kitchen/dine area, next to the stairs. It has shots of some favourite trips, favourite shots from several countries ,and some family shots. I like it, and I live alone. Some visitors are intrigued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 06:13 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I will mention that interior designers in fancy magazines will mix in an antique or two with more contemporary decor. It really doesn’t look out of place if the pieces are very nice.
Good to know because I'm really struggling with what to do with this old secretary desk. It would cost $850 to refinish it and I have no way of knowing how much its worth. If its worthless, I'd just as soon donate it and be done since I don't use it.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:24 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
Well, my de cluttering is ahead of either going into care or dying.

I'm slowly giving away things I don't use and a few things I want to go to specific people. If I wanted to be a brstad I would start giving people my paintings

Don't know if you think this weird:

I have a large number if old photos, from film, not digital . Most are from trips overseas ,and even a few within Oz.

I reason that my photos are of no interest to anyone else, even I don't look at most of them for years on end. After I die, they will simply be thrown away.

---- So, I bought a white board and made a collage, glueing a couple of dozen photos on on each side., so I cant turn it over from-time-to-time. It hangs on the wall in the kitchen/dine area, next to the stairs. It has shots of some favourite trips, favourite shots from several countries ,and some family shots. I like it, and I live alone. Some visitors are intrigued.
Very nice idea and way to remember trips, etc. on a daily basis!

Old 04-30-2019, 05:06 PM

172 posts, read 145,662 times
C-Charlie- I love that idea! The idea to flip it over from time to time is genius! When we get settled, I really want to do something similar to enjoy all my old photos.

I'm freaking out a little and can't really share anywhere but here. DH has a 2nd interview tomorrow. It will either add some doubt to the moving idea if things don't work out or push us into the next level of moving prep.

A few companies he applied to have sent no thanks based on his salary. It has not been discussed yet for this position so we have no way to know if this could even work.

On the other hand, if they like him and it makes sense financially, there are multiple locations. If they want him, it might mean we need to finish getting the house ready asap.

To stay on topic, we rented a storage unit. I need to take another load over and quit being lazy. I've slacked off since there's no definite date in sight yet.

I'm a teacher and the whole summer feels like a big question mark while we see how things pan out. Ugh, I hate uncertainty!

Old 04-30-2019, 06:20 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,042 times
We finished decluttering for the most part. I set all the piles of garbage bags out yesterday. The house is on the market so we have to deal with showings and open houses for a while. Homes sell fast in the neighborhood so I'm hoping it's sold by June 1. Then on to finalizing an offer on new construction in the new location.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:54 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
We finished decluttering for the most part. I set all the piles of garbage bags out yesterday. The house is on the market so we have to deal with showings and open houses for a while. Homes sell fast in the neighborhood so I'm hoping it's sold by June 1. Then on to finalizing an offer on new construction in the new location.
Same situation here. It went from just decluttering to that plus had the backyard redone to look nice at least, had some handyman work, and I really enjoy that the place does look so good - better than ever - but it’s just annoying that we have to make sure to eat always at the table, no snacks anywhere else, clean up repeatedly and make sure nothing is left out, etc. We list Thursday so we aren’t there yet but had photos taken last week and since then no point in pretending things can go back to normal clutter levels. Has to keep pristine until sold.

Our neighborhood, not so hot, I guess. Very nice houses, $490K to $600K, but since bozo next to me listed his $600K house according to everyone (Zillow, Redfin, my agent, the appreciation of the market in general, etc.) for $550K he screwed us. So we list at $550K to screw him back since I have a hot tub, solar panels, soundproof windows, 10% larger lot, better fixtures, $28,000 HVAC system, further from the road, and absolutely no reason anyone would choose his house with an identical layout to ours but inferior in every other way lol. I’m more in a hurry to sell than to squeeze out more money and “extras” to a house don’t necessarily help comps when you’re dealing with the same floor plan so I can’t afford to sit on the market for any more than 45 days tops. I will be stressed if we hit 3-4 weeks. I need the cash out before I close the next house.

I have thank god almost finished the declutter. Total sales of everything I sold around $11,000 I believe. I have some more stuff to sell, not much, it’s getting down to the last items and I’m in a hurry to dump them at any price except my iPhone 7 Plus. Maybe I’ll pull another $1,000 from the misc items. I’m trying to sell some film equipment and by trying I mean thinking real hard about it without doing it yet lol. If that happens I’d get another $4K probably. Anything helps, back yard at the new place is $7K more than the max I had in mind, flooring went $8K over, and combine that with less money from my house, not ideal :/

Old 05-23-2019, 07:04 PM

102 posts, read 133,407 times
What do you do when you get in a funk and can't bring yourself to declutter but know you should be working on it?

Old 05-23-2019, 07:17 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,281,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Flo View Post
What do you do when you get in a funk and can't bring yourself to declutter but know you should be working on it?
Set small goals. Even tiny goals. You will clear out one drawer, or one closet shelf, or something. You'll find that as you do it, bit-by-bit, you'll get more and more motivated. Set short time goals. You will do some decluttering work for 15 minutes. When that time is up, go watch TV, or go for a walk, or on the internet for 30 minutes and then set another 15 minute goal. You will find that the more you do, the more you will want to do.

Or you can watch a couple of episodes of Hoarders. That will kick anyone into high gear.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:17 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,455 times
Well, this is the weekend I move/finish packing as much as possible on my own before the movers come next Thursday. It has really stressed me out and I feel like my place is a disaster, despite spending hours on it already. Not going to be a fun weekend for me!

Old 05-24-2019, 06:23 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,281,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Well, this is the weekend I move/finish packing as much as possible on my own before the movers come next Thursday. It has really stressed me out and I feel like my place is a disaster, despite spending hours on it already. Not going to be a fun weekend for me!
Ugh, my heart goes out to you. My last few frantic days of packing were tough. It was recent enough that I can really feel your pain. Good luck, you'll get through it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues