Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 01:18 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times

Advertisements

For example, my dad grew up in Jersey City, NJ. My dad is not a city person and hates cities. He always dreamed of moving to the suburbs. When he got his own job at 22 after college, he moved out to a suburb in NJ. My parents didn't like the town they lived in, so they moved to a better town (where I grew up my entire life). When my parents moved first moved in our current neighborhood back in the 90s, it influenced one of my dad's family friends to move to a suburb that borders our town. It was a family friend that was also from Jersey City.

When I finish college (I am a junior now and an IT major), I want to move out West so badly. I have a lot of my mom's family in California such as my grandparents and my two cousins (not close to my cousins anymore, but I think I would be close to them if I lived near them), but I have ZERO desire to live in California due to overpopulation, being super expensive, etc. I always dreamed of living in either the Pacific Northwest or Arizona instead. I don't like the family I have in NJ (my dad's family), so I wouldn't mind being far from family. I do have some good friends out here in NJ. It's going to feel weird abandoning them, but I influenced at least two of my friends to attempt to come out West when they finish college. One friend suggested that we could share an apartment rent cost if we ever happen to end up in the same area after college. Obviously everyone has to get a stable job (I'm yearning for a 50K-70K job) first before they even move somewhere. I wonder where the future would take me and if my massive move from the East to the West would influence other people I know in NJ to move where I would move.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:22 PM

219 posts, read 163,372 times
Add the PNW to expensive living as well.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:51 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
We decided to move to an area with a lower cost of living 18 years ago. Within about a few months of us moving we convinced one of my sisters and her husband to move their family here. They joined us about 4 months later. We knew that if that particular sister moved here, my parents would probably follow as soon as they could. Within 18 months of us moving, my parents bought a house here. It was another year or two before they could move here full time.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:51 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
The PNW sucks, you couldn’t find a worse place to live than OR. Combine sky high taxes and high cost of living in Portland with miserable weather and politics and 9th worst traffic in the US for Portland, 4th in Seattle, it’s just a terrible place. You’d have to be nuts to like this, I can’t think of anything good about it. At least if I were to live in poor weather I’d pick a low tax poor weather state with a low cost of living. Blech.

I’m hoping I can lure my best friend to move one day, he hates it here too, but has a great job. He can transfer though and even looked into it so I know it’s interesting to him. We’d have a ton of fun being in the same city again.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:45 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
For example, my dad grew up in Jersey City, NJ. My dad is not a city person and hates cities. He always dreamed of moving to the suburbs. When he got his own job at 22 after college, he moved out to a suburb in NJ. My parents didn't like the town they lived in, so they moved to a better town (where I grew up my entire life). When my parents moved first moved in our current neighborhood back in the 90s, it influenced one of my dad's family friends to move to a suburb that borders our town. It was a family friend that was also from Jersey City.

When I finish college (I am a junior now and an IT major), I want to move out West so badly. I have a lot of my mom's family in California such as my grandparents and my two cousins (not close to my cousins anymore, but I think I would be close to them if I lived near them), but I have ZERO desire to live in California due to overpopulation, being super expensive, etc. I always dreamed of living in either the Pacific Northwest or Arizona instead. I don't like the family I have in NJ (my dad's family), so I wouldn't mind being far from family. I do have some good friends out here in NJ. It's going to feel weird abandoning them, but I influenced at least two of my friends to attempt to come out West when they finish college. One friend suggested that we could share an apartment rent cost if we ever happen to end up in the same area after college. Obviously everyone has to get a stable job (I'm yearning for a 50K-70K job) first before they even move somewhere. I wonder where the future would take me and if my massive move from the East to the West would influence other people I know in NJ to move where I would move.
FYI: I lived in Seattle some years back. The PNW is ridiculously expensive, even moreso than many parts of CA. If you're trying to stay away from expensive places, that's one of the last places you want to move to. The entire area is overpriced - on everything.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:08 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
My husband, myself and my 3 month old son moved back to Florida from Long Island in 1985. Two years later my mother & stepfather came down and built a house down the street from us. My son was her only grandchild and my stepfather hated the cold so it was a win-win for both of them.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:49 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
FYI: I lived in Seattle some years back. The PNW is ridiculously expensive, even moreso than many parts of CA. If you're trying to stay away from expensive places, that's one of the last places you want to move to. The entire area is overpriced - on everything.
This is just simply not true… Seattle is expensive, but it’s a big state and there are many many affordable places to live around smaller towns in Washington, both west and east of the mountains. It depends what you’re looking for.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:53 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Only when I provided room & board.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:12 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Yes. My DH and I moved down to NC from NoVa 13 years ago. His brother followed a few years later and then his parents a couple of years after that. We've tried to get the remaining sibling down here but it's a no go.

We've also tried to get my sibling to move down but they will stay put for a couple of more years.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:57 AM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
The PNW sucks, you couldn’t find a worse place to live than OR. Combine sky high taxes and high cost of living in Portland with miserable weather and politics and 9th worst traffic in the US for Portland, 4th in Seattle, it’s just a terrible place. You’d have to be nuts to like this, I can’t think of anything good about it. At least if I were to live in poor weather I’d pick a low tax poor weather state with a low cost of living. Blech.

I’m hoping I can lure my best friend to move one day, he hates it here too, but has a great job. He can transfer though and even looked into it so I know it’s interesting to him. We’d have a ton of fun being in the same city again.
I only visited the PNW in the summer (August 2016), but I don't mind gloomy winter weather (which I am nuts for), since they don't get too much snow and their temperatures aren't brutally cold like the East. But, something is making me excited to live in the desert Southwest like Arizona. I like how spaced out the houses in certain neighborhoods are in AZ and you won't have to worry about lawn work since it's a desert. AZ is cheap and not all of it hot. The PNW is not always expensive like everyone says. I heard that prices gradually become cheaper as you go further from Seattle. I don't have desire to close to a city anyways. Something is making me obsessed with AZ and makes me want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues