U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 03:23 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health!" (set 14 days ago)

36,011 posts, read 36,257,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post

I am shocked NYC would lack healthy food, but I am pretty sure the PNW had more healthy food options considering the lifestyle out there.
NYC has plenty of healthy food options. One just needs to know where to look!

NYC has a public transportation system that covers most of the city and there are plenty of attractions for those on a low budget if one is willing doing things on their own.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 03:29 PM

1,153 posts, read 775,196 times
People have big dreams, and good for you for having them, but places like NYC, LA, and SF seem to really crush people's souls. I mean, I can take a walk around NYC for a day once every 5 years or so, and it's kinda "meh". I get more excited visiting smaller cities like Halifax or Grand Rapids or Des Moines, or taking a trip up to Amish country (in PA) and spending a weekend discovering new nooks and crannies and things to do there.

How many people go off to LA to "get discovered" only to have their soul crushed when they end up working retail, living in a flop apartment, and paying all those taxes? Millions I suppose, but when it works out it really, really works out I guess.

San Fran seems ok at first, and a friend of mine has it as her goal to live there "one day" for at least part of her life. But I imagine a lot of people eventually take a look around, see all the needles and poop in the streets and decide that maybe living there wasn't the best option, especially considering the expenses and the taxes. Then there are the people who commute 90 minutes (or more!) just one way....and for what? You don't even get to experience a city that way, you just experience the bumpers of other cars in front of you.

Florida seems to be like that too. I know a handful of people who've gone off to Florida and came back (to Maryland) after a year or two thinking it would be the easy life with "no winters" and whatnot Fun in the sun isn't all fun when wages are incredibly low and you start to take a look around once, the thrill of the new move wears off, and you realize it's really just another trailer-park state with some wealthy resorts on the shoreline, and how often are you going to visit those once the thrill wears off and it gets rather old?

Old 12-02-2018, 03:38 PM

5,583 posts, read 1,914,765 times
Nobody hangs out in NYC? That's just not true, you can even find packed bars on weeknights filled with people in their 20s and 30s hanging out.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:56 PM

12,624 posts, read 10,284,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Everything you described is exactly why New Yorkers are so grouchy. They really never have any fun.

Of course by New Yorkers I mean NYC folk. Here upstate things are a lot more relaxed and beautiful, depending on what community you move to.

Have you considered perhaps coming upstate? A smaller city like Ithaca or Corning could suit you. Both are surrounded by the Appalachians (Ithaca has Cayuga lake as well) and have a lot more breathing room. Seems like a more affordable move anyhow.
NYC folks have a lot of fun. I lived there for ten years. For someone not used to a large, urban environment, it can be quite an adjustment.

FYI, there are a ton of accessible fresh food markets. There are open green spaces in Central Park and in lower Manhattan.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:20 PM

502 posts, read 396,394 times
I live in Connecticut and have visited NYC a few times. While I enjoyed visiting, the last time I decided was plenty for me. Too many people and too much noise. I can't imagine living there.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:21 PM

16 posts, read 14,089 times
Thank you all so much for the responses! I really appreciate it. In the long run I'm glad I made the attempt to live out here, but it really just isn't the right place for me. It's just feels odd applying to schools and planning a big move for over a year only to have things not work out.

I think part of the issue with NYC/SF/LA is how romanticized these cities are for most of us. I think most people have some expectations (whether they come from movies, or music, or just the general buzz around these places) that are way different than what living in these cities actually end up being like.

I do think another aspect is the money issue. I guess I didn't really think about how difficult it would be to be a young student, struggling financially. It's definitely one of the more difficult places to get by without a career or a trust fund. I wish I could afford to live in the Lower East Side like some of the kids I'm in school with (who's parents pay their rent), but I just wasn't born with that kind of financial oppurtunity. I think the East Coast does just seem more "work-oriented" in general, which is a big change for me. I think I am more of a "work to live" type person when it comes down to it.

And sorry if I made some generalizations based on my opinions. I understand that there is a happening bar and nightlife scene. But coming from a city where I would see most of my friends on an almost daily basis, this has been a big adjustment. I guess my idea of hanging out is riding bikes to the park/basement show or relaxing in a friends living room watching movies or working on art together. Maybe I meant that to me NYC seems to be lacking a strong sense of community for young friend groups. Friendships seem to be more on the acquaintance end of the spectrum, where you go out for drinks one night a week or go to the museum on your day off. I guess that just isn't particularly my idea of "hanging out".

And in regards to the accessibility of healthy food and nature. It takes me an hour on the train to get to Prospect or Central Park, which I have done a number of times. But not really a relaxing bike ride to the park if you know what I mean. Same goes for "fresh food markets". A trip to Whole Foods or Trader Joes will take up half of your day! Also the price factor of "healthy food" is a big issue for me. It really seems like kombucha, organic produce, and more health oriented food brands are all almost double the price they were in Portland.

I think I kind of like the sleepy vibe of Portland where I can easily ride my bike to farmers market or the park in 15 minutes. The abundance of healthy food options are overwhelming and affordable. People my age seem to be more focused on spending time with friends and making art/music than getting ahead in their career or being able to pay for their $3000/month studio.

And all of this is really just my opinion. I'm sure a lot of people feel much differently about NYC. I'll definitely miss the abundant diversity, walking around Chinatown, the accessibility of public transit. This city does just have a "soul crushing" aspect to it, at least for me". Part of me still really wishes I could make things work out how I had wanted them to, but our plans don't always equate to reality. I'm glad that I gave the East Coast a try, but the West Coast definitely offers a much more laid back lifestyle.

Who knows, maybe I'll give the East Coast another go after I graduate, find a job, and am a little bit more financial stable.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:37 PM

12,624 posts, read 10,284,065 times
There are other fresh food markets besides Whole Foods and Trader Joes.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:59 PM

4,410 posts, read 5,395,076 times
I hope you find your happiness!

Do at least visit upstate before you leave, you might be missing out! Even if you just go to the Catskills, you'll regret not seeing more of NY state while you're here.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:10 PM

16 posts, read 14,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I hope you find your happiness!

Do at least visit upstate before you leave, you might be missing out! Even if you just go to the Catskills, you'll regret not seeing more of NY state while you're here.
Thank you!

I actually took the metro north up to Manitou a few weeks ago and hiked Anthony's Nose. Just in time to see the fall colors. It was a beautiful hike and a really enjoyable day trip in general. I definitely agree that somewhere in upstate might be a better fit for me, but am really focused on getting school finished at the moment. I do have a friend at Bard that I'd like to go visit this summer so maybe I'll get some more time to explore the area then!!

Old 12-02-2018, 06:35 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,271,848 times
You can dwell on the negative and get depressed or you can look at it positively and be happy you had a life enriching experience that you can tell people about. It's all about perspective.

You are still young and you can still go to any place you want. There's no loss here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues