Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2019, 06:08 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Now, its a cool city. Not Phoenix itself , but the whole valley. I like the heat , but its only 95 and dont think I will like 120. The fun ness wore off after a few weeks(been here little over a month).
Having lived full-time in Arizona (Tucson) twice for a total of 7 years, five years the first time and two years the second time, I would say most, BUT NOT ALL, people who have the means to have multiple residences would live in Phoenix and Tucson from October to April and then live from May to September somewhere cooler, either still in Arizona or elsewhere. I think the same could be said for Florida as well.

Yes, there are millionaires and multi-millionairess that have the ability to live in multiple places anywhere in the US and maybe even the world throughout the year, but choose to live in Phoenix or Tucson 12 months out of the year, those people are the exceptions.

I'm also a hiker and was born and raised in Pennsylvania, but have lived in Arizona (twice), Hawai'i, Midway Atoll, North Carolina, South Carolina and I even did 2 full winters and a part of a third down in Antarctica and my body was able to adjust to all of those climates, I might be a freak, considering I would love to living on either the Moon or Mars in ten years, but I don't really see that happening, yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 07:23 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,490,652 times
Quote:
Now, its a cool city. Not Phoenix itself , but the whole valley. I like the heat , but its only 95 and dont think I will like 120. The fun ness wore off after a few weeks(been here little over a month). I am much happier just being on the road and deciding where to stay next. I only have my clothes and my computer with Rideshare as an income . I am in IT , but looking at several areas that might be better for careers and not as hot in the summer , but not freezing in the winter.

I didn't realize how much I would miss water since I spent some time in South florida also. Being at various parks here with an abundance of green or lakes makes me miss back east. I'm a big hiker so that kind of was the draw to Phoenix along with warm winters. I have many options , but not sure where to go next. The Bay area is on my mind, and not as expensive with just renting a room.

Has anyone jumped from place to place in a short amount of time to figure out what worked best? How did it turn out?
I am an IT as well. I am in college and literally I cant wait to graduate. I live in the East and I hate it here and I hate living with my parents. I visited couple of places out West and never wanted to go back. Never visited Phoenix, but Phoenix is too hot for me, so that's out of the question. I plan on moving to the Pacific Northwest after college. Great weather, great scenery, jobs are better than the desert states, so that means it won't be some retirement hotspot. I dreamed of a desert state, but those states won't have great jobs and they will be giant retirement hotspots. The Pacific Northwest has lots of water!

Visited Seattle and Mount Rainier btw.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:08 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Now, its a cool city. Not Phoenix itself , but the whole valley. I like the heat , but its only 95 and dont think I will like 120. The fun ness wore off after a few weeks(been here little over a month). I am much happier just being on the road and deciding where to stay next. I only have my clothes and my computer with Rideshare as an income . I am in IT , but looking at several areas that might be better for careers and not as hot in the summer , but not freezing in the winter.

I didn't realize how much I would miss water since I spent some time in South florida also. Being at various parks here with an abundance of green or lakes makes me miss back east. I'm a big hiker so that kind of was the draw to Phoenix along with warm winters. I have many options , but not sure where to go next. The Bay area is on my mind, and not as expensive with just renting a room.

Has anyone jumped from place to place in a short amount of time to figure out what worked best? How did it turn out?
Yeah I never had that kind of money to do that. Cost of living and salary have always trumped everything when I've decided to move somewhere.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:01 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
According to most people on this forum no one should regret moving anywhere because happiness only comes from within and all places are equal

I'd love to see those peeps move to Detroit or the southside of Chicago and speak in such idealistic terms.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:54 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times
The problem isn't with moving to find a more suitable location, the key is to understand that relocation can address one issue in your life, but it won't address all of them. It's a common thing to feel a vague sense of dissatisfaction, a malaise, and to fixate on one thing as the cause - maybe your location, maybe your job - and to try very hard to eliminate that factor..only to find that after making the change within a time period that malaise is back. There's legit reasons for relocation, but people often give off the vibe that they just see location as a tangible thing on which they can blame the feeling that something is missing in their lives.

I suspect that planning relocation in itself can be addictive because it opens up perspectives and visions of what could be. It also indicates a possible turning point ahead, a change of the status quo. Having that way out in your head can be a coping mechanism. Like working a job you know you will quit soon, but you haven't told anyone yet. It's liberating because every bad thing can be countered in your head by 'well soon I'll be out of here anyway'. Then when you do make the change, and you're in a new place, and you'd have to concede that you're probably not leaving again any time soon...you'd no longer have that and would have to look for other solutions or perhaps just resign yourself to a less than fully happy life (which may require an 'attitude adjustment' regarding expectations for what constitutes a normal human life).

Old 05-18-2019, 04:48 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
You moved to Phoenix and don't think you will like the heat? What were you thinking?

"The fun ness wore off after a couple weeks? Oh my.

Somehow I don't think satisfaction part of your nature.
It has not even been hot in Phoenix yet this year! Only on the 80s today.

And the OP said they wouldn't like 120...well that is extremely rare. It has happened a few times, but not usually. We also have air conditioning and pools, so it's fine.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:58 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
Quote:
I might like it better if I could find a place in the northern valley of Scottsdale or Northern Glendale. I have done a few hikes in the valley but the desert just doesn't compare to forest and streams. Sucks driving 2 + hours just to hike those beautiful places. I'm down in Chandler atm.
Here’s my tip....if you have to live in the Phoenix area...

Live in either Cave Creek or Carefree.

They are just north of Phoenix and are about 1,000 ft higher in elevation,
similar elevation to Tucson.

Still mild winters but 4 or 5 degrees cooler the rest of the year.

Homes are a bit pricey....but that’s where I would live if I had to live the Phoenix area,
also being north of Phoenix you are closer to even cooler places like Sedona, Payson, or Prescott.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,049 times
Default Totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Yeah, I've been in a several page discussion in another subforum with people trying to convince me that if I can't be happy in Oklahoma City I can't be happy anywhere.

I'm strongly considering a move to Phoenix, but being right on the beach isn't necessary for me and I actually like the desert landscape. Plus, Arizona is an extremely diverse state geographically so if you want a break from the desert, you can just go up into the mountains.

I do understand where they are coming from. However, sometimes it IS the place and not the person.
I'm in tears laughing about people trying to convince you that if you can't be happy in OKC you can't be happy anywhere.

I totally agree with you that sometimes it is the place not the person.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:53 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Quote:
Phoenix is a much nicer and cleaner desert city than Vegas. I do like Vegas and have thought about moving there , but the job offer would have to be right.
I agree with this.

Vegas is great for what it is and if I end up moving to Phoenix I'll probably go up to Vegas for the weekend fairly often, but I'd prefer to live in Phoenix. The job offer would have to be just right before I'd consider Vegas.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:46 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,586,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Nearest beach is in Mexico, on the Gulf of California.
About four hours from Phoenix, you can take a shuttle (or drive) to Puerto Penasco, a.k.a. Rocky Point. Tourist town with a wide, shallow beach.

We've wandered a bit, lived in California, Hawaii, even spent a summer in the Midwest (very pretty, muggy, FIREFLIES!). We moved to Tucson in January, with a plan to travel during the summer--we leave June first. We'll be visiting possible places to move next.

This summer is supposed to be cooler than normal, so you may not see 120 degrees.

And on the other hand, it may continue to get hotter in places like this, to the point that having air-conditioning may not just be for comfort, but for survival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues