Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 10:30 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,811,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwy36 View Post
Hey OP,

Why are you limiting yourself like this? I suggest you: 1. Put together a one page resume 2. get on-line and apply for some warehouse positions where you're looking to move and 3. At the very least give your prospective employer the opportunity to say 'no' before you say 'no' for them.

Things are different out there right now - lots of people have voluntarily chose to kick back and coast rather than keep working as you have. Employers would be delighted to hear from honest people who have some experience and are willing to put in a good day's work. Don't sell yourself short and get yourself out there! After all, what have you got to lose (it just takes one 'yes' that meets your 'must' criteria to make it happen).

A waiting job and that $2K would probably meet those 'musts' quite nicely. How can you resist? Best of luck in your job search!

You are right ! Thank you. My lease here doesn't end until May 2022 so I still have a while before I can leave and I am hoping by then I will actually have that $2k saved up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 08:18 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Family makes it hard for me to actually really consider leaving. Born and raised in the Indianapolis metro area. I grew up with a very close extended family. In my generation, no one has moved away for good. A few of my mom's many cousins did end up moving. I just met a few for the first time in my adult life. Overall though, ever since I have memories, everyone has stayed here. It helps that our metro area has grown and everyone was able to find reasonable employment.

I have nephews and nieces who range in age 2-16 and watching them grow up has been pretty cool. I'm also kinda stuck in my career field, which isn't easy to transfer (public job, pension retirement, great time off benefits, but with below average pay for our region/area...but that is actually improving over the next few years with some decent raises coming).

After starting to travel in my late 20s (I'm now early 40s) and getting into day hiking, and even boating/kayaking, I know there are better places for me. This region of the lower Midwest just isn't all that great for someone who wants varied topography and be close to a variety of mid to upper tier outdoor recreation. I'm also getting to the point where I'm tired of snow and really cold weather. I want to be where I can live an active, outdoor lifestyle almost year round, to some extent.

If my wife and I stay east of the Mississippi, our ideal relocation areas are Knoxville, Greenville, or Myrtle Beach areas. If we had to have a larger metro area for pre-retirement jobs opportunities, I'm open to the major metros of North Carolina and possibly either the Jacksonville or Tampa areas of Florida. I love the western US and would like to consider some of the places in the SW, primarily Las Vegas, but their water issues, costs-of-living, etc. will play a big role on if we go to those areas.

The last few years I was really on the fence on if we should go or not. Now we are likely staying here for another decade because of my retirement, job benefits, job security, and family.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:35 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
Most people think you should live where your family is
Where are you getting this notion besides your own narrow experience?

Old 06-20-2021, 08:44 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I am not blaming everyone else for my problems. I just feel stuck and afraid of making the wrong decisions. I'm sure you have been in that position before too
You have to make your own mistakes before you can start figuring out life as an adult.

BTW.....we moved to the east coast and away from all family on the west coast. I've never regretted it.....
in all honesty, however, we never saw that much of each other anyway.....

Old 06-20-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Where are you getting this notion besides your own narrow experience?

Just my experience I guess. I remember when I used to live in Indianapolis , people would tell me I'm crazy for living away from family. Also Everytime I would talk to other people who were wanting to move somewhere , they would say they are only doing so just because they have family in that location

Old 06-20-2021, 10:58 PM

899 posts, read 669,785 times
In a way this seems to me like a self-answering question.

There are people who are so very close to their families that they would love to live near them (if they already don't). But there are those who aren't very close, so living far away isn't a big deal at all.

That said, I know a guy who tells me his wife would never live far from her family, but the family is toxic and that's dysfunctional. But she can't escape it, somehow.

Me and the Mrs.? We think most of our fams are doing their thing. We can drop in and see them from time to time but by and large, they're living their lives and we're living ours.

Old 06-21-2021, 01:45 PM

124 posts, read 108,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Now we are likely staying here for another decade because of my retirement, job benefits, job security, and family.
Not certain of your exact circumstances, of course. If your employer offers a pension that is a great thing. Many companies are walking away from offering it to new employees. I work for a Fortune 100 company and they stopped offering pensions to new hires. If your current health care insurance suits your needs that's also gold. I applaud you for thinking about all of these factors. Maybe you can transfer?

Old 06-21-2021, 05:09 PM

Default What if you don't have close friends or family living nearby and have a medical emergency ?

Sorry if this sounds similar to what's been asked before. I just thought of something.. have any of you been in that situation (the one in my title)? How did you handle it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues