Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 07:14 AM

174 posts, read 206,199 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

We will be making a cross country move in late January. I'm eyeing costs now, and we will likely rent a truck with Penske. It is possible I might opt for full service mover, however. Really all depends on the cost.

I am a little puzzled by trying to figure out how large of a truck I will need (if we rent) or if full service is even feasible.

We will end up with the following to move, and that is it:

60 large boxes
30 medium boxes
2 queen bed frames (but only one mattress/boxsprings)
1 55 inch plasma TV
2 tall dressers
2 nightstands
2 computer desks
1 loveseat
1 recliner

All of the online estimators say only a 16" truck is needed, but I am very dubious. We will likely be loading the rental truck ourselves, so probably will not be as efficient at loading as pros.

That being said, is the above load even worth looking at full service movers?

~C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 03:43 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaethe View Post
I am a little puzzled by trying to figure out how large of a truck I will need ...
You aren't alone. This is why the truck rental companies have their tables.

Quote:
...is the above load even worth looking at full service movers?
That Q is about YOU not your stuff. Your time and strength and so forth to do the work.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:40 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
16 foot truck?! Hahahaha oh my god! I moved from a 1,700 square foot condo and I guarantee we had nowhere near that many boxes, we have a minimalist aesthetic and a 26 foot truck wasn’t even close to big enough! Fortunately it was in city but that meant I drove back and forth 26 miles round trip FIVE times, all night long, bringing more stuff in my SUV because “26 foot is the biggest truck we have” from the full service movers. I’m convinced they must be used to moving people only from apartment to apartment because nobody with a house could possibly even come close to fitting their stuff in a 26 foot truck. Impossible. When we left the condo we even sold some stuff before the move and took all clutter to Goodwill, still didn’t come close to being able to fit in the truck.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:58 PM

174 posts, read 206,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You aren't alone. This is why the truck rental companies have their tables.

That Q is about YOU not your stuff. Your time and strength and so forth to do the work.
I typo'd on the number of boxes in my post. 30 large boxes instead of 60.

That being said, you have made a good point. I spoke with a longtime friend who has made a cross-country move more than once. He said he never used more than a 17 foot truck, but he did not pack it himself, either. He said he used a professional company to pack the truck and wrap things. I compared the amount of stuff he had at the time of moving to the amount of stuff we have, and its about the same.

I think that is what we'll do. Rent a a truck and drive it ourselves, but have pros pack and stack. We are pretty good at tetris, but not as good as the pros would be. Depending on cost difference, I might choose the 20 foot truck just for that extra comfort level.

~C

Old 03-01-2019, 12:37 PM

946 posts, read 1,134,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaethe View Post
I typo'd on the number of boxes in my post. 30 large boxes instead of 60.

That being said, you have made a good point. I spoke with a longtime friend who has made a cross-country move more than once. He said he never used more than a 17 foot truck, but he did not pack it himself, either. He said he used a professional company to pack the truck and wrap things. I compared the amount of stuff he had at the time of moving to the amount of stuff we have, and its about the same.

I think that is what we'll do. Rent a a truck and drive it ourselves, but have pros pack and stack. We are pretty good at tetris, but not as good as the pros would be. Depending on cost difference, I might choose the 20 foot truck just for that extra comfort level.

~C
Curious how was your move? I'm planning my move from Tx to S. Cali in about 6 months.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:56 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
I’m also curious how this went. I have no clue how anyone moves in a small truck unless it’s frlm a tiny apartment. I think our stuff would use the majority of a 55 foot semi truck and that’s after purging a large amount of stuff and taking into account we would only be moving one set of couches (3 pieces) rather than both. Any decent size house is a pro mover job only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues