Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 02:25 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Repeat for five days and you are there.
Thanks for this. Looking at it like this really helps.

One of the hardest tasks for me would be finding a new place to live in the new city. I do have family there so they'd probably be willing to help in whatever way they could. Then tying all the loose ends up on my old house (thankfully a rental).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 03:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Thanks for this. Looking at it like this really helps.

One of the hardest tasks for me would be finding a new place to live in the new city. I do have family there so they'd probably be willing to help in whatever way they could. Then tying all the loose ends up on my old house (thankfully a rental).
See if you can get a family member to allow you to stay for a month and you pay them an agreed amount. That will give you a stress free month to find a place to live.

Old 12-20-2018, 03:45 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
If it is overwhelming break it down..

You could take the cat, drive a uhaul with some things, start the job and rent a place while the wife stays behind a few weeks to pack and finish up details at the place you are leaving...

Then the wife & kid fly out to join you...

Or some other combination of all the above that breaks it up some...

The cat will do fine in a carrier, get a cat downer from the vet if it stresses in the car..

Just don't do what I did once and let it out, thinking it would enjoy a grassy field to walk around in...
My cat bolted and we were lucky to find her in nearby woods..

Old 12-20-2018, 05:23 PM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times
This post really resonates with me, as I have been working on pretty much the same thing for 2+ years! It's all in the planning and knowing even the best laid plans can go awry! Begin as soon as you possibly can. I started by downsizing myself and my granddaughter's significant clothing and shoe collection! Sold, donated, gave away stuff on Buy Nothing network.

Rehomed four animals over the course of 6 months or so, when it became apparent that traveling on a plane and relocating to an apartment for 6 months with 4 cats and a dog was not going to actually be practical. I was lucky to find them all homes with friends and adoption agencies. I am taking only my elderly 15-year-old cat, who can travel in the cabin with us. I may get some hating on this, but you do what you have to do. None were euthanized or put in shelters.

Once I located and signed a lease on an apartment in the destination city, the dominoes began to fall into place. Ordered a POD, set up transport of my car, booked the flight and hotel. Next week the Pod will be delivered and I will spend a day packing it...boxes have actually been packed for months...started that this spring. Down to bare essentials left unpacked. As someone else said you "put one foot in front of the other" I actually find myself humming that song when things seem overwhelming! Or "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step". Make lists, set up daily goals. One day last week I spent considerable time on the computer/phone cancelling services here and setting them up in the new place. There are lots of moving parts, but if an old lady like me can do it, so can you!

Old 12-20-2018, 05:24 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,722 times
I'm a worrier by nature, just every day stuff can get me in a tizzy, so planning to move our family of four and seven animals 1,000 miles was a daunting and terrifying ordeal, but we did it and everyone survived, and to not have made the move would be one of the biggest mistakes of our lives because we over-the-moon love it here.

So break things down into steps and tackle it a little at a time. Start packing. Figure out your loving situation in your new city. Arrange for movers or U-haul/ U-pack etc. If you plan to drive the cat, get a cat carrier for the long journey and whatever else it'll need to make it comfortable.

We traveled with two dogs, two cats, two rats, and a guinea pig. They all had their own carrier, and the dogs were in the back of the enclosed truck on their dog beds. We all made it to our destination and there was zero calamity.

For me as much preparation beforehand is key, but also taking small steps one at a time, so I wouldn't be overwhelmed. It will be ok.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:50 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Even though I can’t wait to move, moving is always very stressful. Studies have ranked it as one of the most stressful things in life. For bigger moves, it really is a matter of careful planning and starting way in advance. My first step is always to cull the herd haha get rid of or sell anything I don’t want to move bit by bit, which can take a while, then get all of the packing materials I need so that I know I’m ready to start boxing. Then I start with the things I don’t need right away (decorative or collectible or extra clothes) and work my way through them.

Moving is a pain but if you plan it well it’s not so bad. Every time I move though it disrupts my productivity for a few months at least, there’s always so much to do at the new location to get it working the same as the old.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:55 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Drugs. Prozac for you and kitty Prozac for the cat. I would fly the drugged up cat. You aren't even talking about an area you are unfamiliar with. Stop sweating the small stuff.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I also have anxiety issues and depression issues. But, for me with each of the moves I've made over the past many years - my mission was to get a Section 8 voucher and port it back to the SF Bay Area. I knew this would take many years and be really difficult and stressful.

I just had to keep reminding myself that the stress and inconvenience was part of the long-term plan. Basically, you keep your eye on the ball.

It takes a lot of strength and courage. For someone who just honestly can't muster up that kind of energy, it's possible they'll end up homeless. I, fortunately, was able to muster up enough courage to deal with all of the obstacles and several moves to get what I wanted.

Not everyone can do this - deal with the stress, etc. I hope you can.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:45 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
It was not easy but I had no choice. I tried to be as methodical as possible and paused when necessary.

Old 12-21-2018, 01:27 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
I learned in my lifetime to hire people to do it all for me and take 75% of the stress off of me. It can be done quickly depending upon the size of your house. I just expended the very minimal energy and emotion in the whole thing.
Use Google calendar to plan and keep track.
Use the phone to arrange things and set appointments. Company emails for these types of work may not be read and answered right away.

Set up a desk, phone, pad of paper, pen, copy of a month of the calendar, computer and make a list of these items to do. Start calling. Keep notes.

Hire people to pack up the house and a good moving truck company that will do tandem long hauls and have their own pads and tarps supplied to protect your belongings. A larger hauling company will have a fleet.

Select a real estate agent and get them to arrange professionals to clean and repair and do yard work in preparation for sale while you drive away to your new destination.

Keep some house insurance. Ask your agent what needs to be placed.
Search for apartments in the new city on line for month to month lease.
If you have things in the house you won't take with you call a thrift store like Salvation Army to come in and take them out on their own truck. Tag those items with a chunk of colored painters tape so they will be able to spot items without you having to direct them all over the place. You can sit back and have a coffee and sandwich and watch some TV.

Stop all the work about supper time and leave the evening free for rest and relax.

I never bothered with selling stuff on Ebay or other online sellers like Craigslist. I stick with the plan to expend as little energy in it all. Garage sales too are a lot of work. Avoid.
Find out if your government or your new company will pay some moving costs.
Have your car diagnosed, lubed, tubed and flushed, tires inspected, and oil changed, fluids topped up.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues