Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 07:26 AM

421 posts, read 390,615 times

Advertisements

In my mind, I could get rid of everything, but wife doesn't see it that way. Anyway, we don't really have that much, we never were collectors of crap but our first estimate was $18,000 expedited and $12,000 Value-Flex with Two Men and a Truck, for a move from Iowa to Arizona for next September.

Seems like a lot to me! No dining room furniture, only one bedroom with clothing in it, no appliances, no lawn equipment other than a leaf blower, no outdoor furniture, 4 mattress sets (giving two to our daughter in AZ) 3 dressers, and living/and family room furniture and 3 flat screen TVs and kitchen cabinet stuff. Our personal items, photos, decorations etc. which includes about 50 boxes.

Does that sound within range? If the estimates we get in the future all seem that high we will probably do PODS or U-Pack, I think we can get by around $5,000 total with hiring movers at each end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 07:28 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
With that little stuff, rent a truck and drive it yourself.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:44 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
I used PODS from FL to TN and it was a mere fraction of what you quoted. PODS also recommended movers to help load up. a 10X16 POD.

College Hunks Hauls also helped me with a pre-move transfer and loading of giveaway stuff. Those young folks are quick and strong and it took no time.

So either get a U Haul and hire someone to help you load it or call PODS. They can offer a lot of service.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:50 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
You could re-buy everything for that. Might be a better option

Old 12-24-2018, 09:28 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
In my mind, I could get rid of everything, but wife doesn't see it that way. Anyway, we don't really have that much, we never were collectors of crap but our first estimate was $18,000 expedited and $12,000 Value-Flex with Two Men and a Truck, for a move from Iowa to Arizona for next September.

Seems like a lot to me! No dining room furniture, only one bedroom with clothing in it, no appliances, no lawn equipment other than a leaf blower, no outdoor furniture, 4 mattress sets (giving two to our daughter in AZ) 3 dressers, and living/and family room furniture and 3 flat screen TVs and kitchen cabinet stuff. Our personal items, photos, decorations etc. which includes about 50 boxes.

Does that sound within range? If the estimates we get in the future all seem that high we will probably do PODS or U-Pack, I think we can get by around $5,000 total with hiring movers at each end.
Sounds like several hours of crunching numbers should yield a real clear conclusion as to how to proceed.

Price up replacing some of the larger items you have that you could buy new at your final destination. Then consider what’s left to move and price moving that with a POD and if you need people to load or unload depending on your abilities and time. We moved using POD’s and hiring loaders as needed, by the hour.
And, if the best price is to replace your major furniture, you could price a small rental UHaul and drive it yourself, if that works for you.

Usually, POD’s wind up being the best cost effective method when moving, unless your move is nearby.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-24-2018, 12:11 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
When we relocated from Dallas to Austin, the estimate was $29,000. I told my husband we should just get rid of it all, and buy new when we move as our stuff wasn't worth $29k. He ended up renting a u-haul for all the heavy garage stuff at $29 a day, and we got the amount down to $15k, which his company paid for. I still don't think our stuff was worth $15k either, but we didn't pay out of pocket. If we had to, I would never have spent that to ship it 200 miles.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:08 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Ouch! I could do some serious downsizing. I have nothing big in the line of family heirlooms so I would probably be inclined to buy new stuff. You could ship boxes through the post office to your new address, although I don't know what the rates would be. I have mailed luggage to myself when heading home from vacations so as to not have to deal with it at the airport, but that's been ages ago.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:38 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
We moved a partial household from Dallas to Las Vegas in March 2017. We paid $5,000. To United, a conventional moving company For the following.

*Load & unlaod, no pack but move in moving truck
*Crate matresses & 72” TV
*About 30 boxes including about 5 wardrobe boxes
*3 easy chairs & sectional couch very heavy coffee table (marble)
*Master bedroom set (large) & mattress (solid foam, very heavy)
*2 TV’s — one was 72”, other about 50”
*Large hammered metal dining table with 6 very heay leather chairs
*2 barstools
*a few occasional tables
*diningroom buffet
*very heavy sofa table
*2 9x13 wool area rugs
*assorted lamps, framed artwork, and garage tools and ladders (no landscaping equipment)

It took us a long time to pare down our 4500 sq ft house to basically a diningroom, a livingroom, a master bedroom and various artwork and tools. But we would never have paid another $10K to move the rest of our belongings. You need to trim back more and get more bids.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:25 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post

That sounds crazy to me. Did you look at labor rates on UHaul's site? At the top of the page toward the left there is a tab that says "Moving Labor". My fiancé and I ended up getting his son and son's friends so we didn't need it, but we had looked into it. I had a one-bedroom apartment's worth of stuff, however it was a second floor with a full flight of stairs, a landing, then another set of stairs so we needed help (my fiancé's son and his friends almost bailed when they saw the stairs, lol).

We were getting estimates on the Uhaul site (they are all independent contractors) of $200 or so for 2 guys for 2 hours. Now ours was not a long distance move, only about 60 miles. For a long distance, I assume you'd hire a crew to move you out, then have another arranged for the other end at your new location. the site asks you to put in both addresses. We had to add an extra amount for the stairs, can't remember how much but not a lot. Of course you can get more helpers, and more hours, and you have to rent the U-Haul, but it is MUCH less than the quotes you are getting. They are all reviewed on the site. Here is the link: https://www.uhaul.com/MovingHelp/ and here is just one example from the site:

Taylor & Son's Moving
805 reviews

Price quote: $200.00
  • 2 person crew, 2 hours of help
  • Load/Unload

Old 12-24-2018, 06:24 PM

98 posts, read 134,842 times
We moved virtually all our furniture and household goods including many books from our three bedroom house in New York to Florida for $11,000 in 2016. We had three large moving companies bid and they all came in at the same figure based on estimated weight. We went with United because they were the most professional and we were very happy. They packed, loaded and unloaded for that price. Our driver arranged for the unloaders from a United franchise here and they were great. Nothing damaged or lost. Your figure seems way out of line. Get more estimates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues