Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 05:51 PM

98 posts, read 134,842 times

Advertisements

We bought our new house in Florida in July, then went back up north, chose a moving company, got our house ready for sale and moved down at the end of September. We left the house up north in the hands of a realtor, continued to pay for the utilities and insurance until it finally sold in January. We didn't want to wait to move until our house was sold, and I believe it would have been more difficult to go through all the realtor showings while living there. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 05:52 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
This plan worked well for us, except one time when we did not turn the water off when we left and got a leak which caused damage.
Yes- be careful of this, especially since most homeowners' insurance policies have a limit on how long they will cover a vacant house. They're more vulnerable to break-ins, vandalism and water damage if a pipe bursts and no one is there to notice. You may be able to buy a more expensive policy which will cover long vacancies, but check with your insurer.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:15 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yes- be careful of this, especially since most homeowners' insurance policies have a limit on how long they will cover a vacant house. They're more vulnerable to break-ins, vandalism and water damage if a pipe bursts and no one is there to notice. You may be able to buy a more expensive policy which will cover long vacancies, but check with your insurer.
+1 true!

Old 01-03-2019, 07:20 PM

833 posts, read 657,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
We did a 1,000+ mile move two years ago. I stayed behind to sell our house, while hubby rented for a couple of months while our house sold, and to give him time to buy us a new house.

It took us three months to reunite in our new town, with our old house sold, and our new house bought and ready to move into.

Had we not had multiple pets we probably would have rented longer before buying in the new town, but with seven animals you won't find any renters willing to let you move in, and getting rid of our pets was not an option.
Kudos to you for being so considerate towards your animals. Best wishes!

Old 01-04-2019, 05:22 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Wife and I discussed this the last 2 years or so already. The plan is to purchase our final destination home at least a year prior to putting our existing home on the market. Since we both love the four seasons we will move out of our current heavily taxed state to southern Delaware. Not too far but far enough from here.
Good luck OP

Old 01-04-2019, 05:55 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
I'm going to have this same issue as I'll be moving across country to retire but I still have 2-3 years to figure it out. There are only maybe 3-4 houses at any given time for sale in the area I want to move to that I might want to buy given size, price, condition, location. It's a small town with not many people moving in or out. So, when the right house comes along I feel like I should take a chance and buy it because there may not be another for a long while.
Luckily, as things are now, 99 percent of the houses for sale where I currently live sell within 2-3 months with most selling much faster than that, so there's no reason I shouldn't be able to sell mine within 90 days. It's going to be a balancing act.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:39 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedteach17 View Post
Hi, we are planning our pre-retirement move, also 1000 miles away. I wish we could do what you are describing but will need to sell our place first. Welcome and good luck with your move!
If you have to sell first, then rent for 6 months in your new city so you can figure out the real estate market and don't get scammed by realtors and sellers, even if you have to put stuff in storage.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:03 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Started building the "retirement" home 1,000 miles from cold weather house. Put cold weather house on market about six months before new house was completed.

Cold weather house went to contract so we moved furniture and one of us stayed behind to baby sit cold weather house while other went to organize new build.

Contract fell through so we continued with one in new house and one behind in cold weather house.

We would NOT leave an empty cold weather house. To us it was important that the house was cared for--snow shoveled, ice dams dealt with, grass cut, heat working, etc. We kept it lived in and in tip-top shape for buyers to observe.

Finally sold and we reunited in new build house. Never looked back. Never heard from buyer of any problems with cold weather house. Old neighbors did call to say buyer, who said she bought the house because gardens were so beautiful and she loved to garden, had never pulled a weed nor deadheaded a single plant. Gardens have since been plowed under after neighbors had an "intervention".

Old 01-04-2019, 11:06 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

Heh. I contacted our insurance agent about getting a "vacant house" policy on our rental. Basically he hinted that we should not disclose the vacancy to the insurance company. He asked if we would be selling it in the next couple of months, we said yes.

The house ended up being vacant for three years before we put it on the market. We weren't worried about break-ins or squatters -- the neighbors would notice. The house was truly empty. There was nothing inside worth the effort of breaking in. Any property damage caused by our own idiocy we would have paid for.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:13 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
We did a 2300 mile retirement move from Ohio to California. To minimize moving expenses we sold about 75% of our home furnishings. Very stressful as we had accumulated a lot of stuff in a house we had lived in for 22 years. We paid to have our car transported. We were simultaneously selling our Ohio home and buying a place in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues