Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 09:02 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times

Advertisements

I can't wrap my head around the concept of not opening one's mail for years.

After you move, get in the habit of opening your mail by the recycling bin. Simply discar that which doesn't interest you.

What's more, if you have your bills sent electronically. That eliminates that part of the mail entirely, plus you can easily archive it.

Then, get yourself off mailing lists. It can be done, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 09:11 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,641 times
If OP has a fireplace in their home, toss your personal mail in there. Is what we do. Just watch the coated paper. Those I'd cut up.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:54 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Here's what you do:

Call a company called Shredit. They will send a moderate sized box truck with their name on it. Inside is a powerful shredder that will chew up unopened envelopes, bound booklets, paper clips, rubber bands, thin cardboard, etc. It almost never jams. The driver will be a clean, friendly guy who will provide you with a very large plastic trash like container. If you fill up just the one container - and it holds a lot - the cost is $125. I think a second container is about $50.

The driver will do all the rest. You can watch him, but there is also a video camera where you can see your actual stuff being shredded. When it's finished, you get a form guaranteeing you that everything has been securely shredded, and the remnants will go to a landfill.

That cost beats buying a small shredder, which takes up time for opening envelopes, feeding in just so many pages at once, getting jammed.....and in the end, there's stuff it won't shred.

If you really have a lot, save your time and your sanity. Call them. I do, regularly!

Old 01-06-2019, 10:27 AM

4,863 posts, read 4,801,062 times
We have an older version of this shredder that gets a lot of use and keeps on shredding.
https://www.costco.com/Fellowes-Powe...100459734.html

Old 01-06-2019, 12:08 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Move down here where there is NO mail. LOL. Life is a lot simpler now. This is a good reminder of a hassle left behind. All those trees!

But, unless you are a hoarder, why would you let it pile up like that?

Old 01-06-2019, 01:49 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Do you know there are "sensitive documents" in the mail? Are these same documents being emailed to you? If so, why are they also being mailed to you?

Definitely sensitive. That's why it's unopened

Old 01-06-2019, 02:02 PM

78 posts, read 55,542 times
The fireplace woodstove or a campfire. Or dig a hole in the backyard and bury them and let the worms have at it.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:57 PM

323 posts, read 219,052 times
I used to work part time for a document shredding company. Don't go thinking we're looking at stuff, writing things down....stop being paranoid

Old 01-06-2019, 04:01 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallie225 View Post
I used to work part time for a document shredding company. Don't go thinking we're looking at stuff, writing things down....stop being paranoid

I had a client who was a shredding company. They employed the learning disabled. The odds of someone yanking your Visa bill out of the conveyer belt is tiny.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:27 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Back in the 90s, Nick managed our baseball team. He was a letter carrier, and one day the headlines were all about a mailman that had gotten caught hiding bags of junk mail under his front porch. We asked Nick if that's what he did? "We used to burn it, but then the EPA caught us and made us stop."
There was this old coot who was a contract rural mail carrier for decades, in the area of our farm. He used a Jeep wagon to deliver and lived alone in a large house with a triple garage. When he died, they found that his huge garage was stuffed to the rafters with junk mail he hadn't delivered. I don't think we ever missed any mail that was important. But the Post Office had to assign several people to sort through it all and they spent months on that job.

We eventually got a big bundle of junk that was mostly many years old and it all went into the fireplace. Some of it was first class, but it was still junk. He really knew how to tell it from things we would want to receive. Nowadays, the mail carriers stuff a big wad of junk in our mailboxes every week, that doesn't even have our addresses on it and no staples or plastic either, which makes it simple to recycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues