Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 03:17 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,468 times

Advertisements

It's looking like I will be closing on my new house in about a week or two. I am not sure when exactly I will plan to move, but I would like to be in sometime in February, I think. This move is from New Hampshire to Massachusetts, about 100 miles, so not across the country, but also not just over to the next town either.

Since I haven't closed yet, I haven't contacted any movers. I am wondering what most of you have done, timing-wise? I am also worried about having a plan and then getting a big snowstorm -- my place in Nashua (a townhouse) can be particularly troublesome in the snow, parking, snow clearing, snow banks, snow plows can create a big bottleneck during a storm (we don't have garages). So, I am stressing about how to plan everything!

Thoughts and experiences are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 09:00 PM

172 posts, read 145,681 times
I contacted a mover last week to get some info about a possible June move. He told me to call about 1-1.5 months ahead of time.

I would call now. You will probably be fine since it's a shorter move and not in busy season. Even though you might not have an exact date yet, you will be able to get someone set up and find out how weather might affect your move.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:52 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,340,217 times
For 100 miles, that’s pretty much a local mover. A few weeks ahead of time should be plenty of notice. Call a few local movers and ask.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:14 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
About 2 months.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:12 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,468 times
Thanks everyone.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:59 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,175,527 times
It basically depends if you moving locally or several states away and what time of the year you are moving.

I called two large movers about a month advance for a 500 mile move and both companies said their schedules were full and booked for the next two months since it was mid summer.

Once you know your moving, it’s better to get estimates early on so you would still have time to price up different ways to move such as POD’s or other container moving options.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:12 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
If you only plan to call a specific mover to load things, move and then unload, it's only a matter of their availability (1-2 weeks).

Do you also plan to have them wrap and pack before the move? How much disassembly/reassembly will be necessary? Will you want multiple estimates? Will you need time to clean the house and/or prepare the new house? What about appliances, window treatment, etc.? When does your buyer want to be in your house?

Old 01-14-2019, 05:22 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,815,699 times
We are planning to close on our new home on February 1st. We are doing a Uhaul for the first move, we have to move my dad into an independent living and then close on our house the next day and need to move some furniture in there to be able to exist there on and off during the times we'll be going back and forth while finalizing our house to put it on the market (we have dogs and don't want them here once the house is ready to market). Then we plan on moving the rest of our stuff at the end of February. We have already called several moving companies to get quotes. We are moving about 280 miles from where we live right now, within the same state.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:23 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,630,923 times
I called a year-plus before I planned to move, but that's because I needed a quote for an 800+ mile move and I just wanted to make sure my idea that it shouldn't cost more than $10,000 was actually accurate. The guy told me around $7,500, and I told him I won't be in touch for a while because it's a long ways off, but it was still good to have that for budgeting purposes.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
About a month, but we had a big move. A household of 7 people 2 giant dogs and a myriad of other pets, moving 2500 miles. We had to check into a lot of different options. It ended up costing us $33,000, so it was a major project and took a lot of time to figure out how we wanted to do it and who we wanted to use.

In your area, there is a company called "Gentle Giants" My son worked for them for a summer. They are a premium company but if you want top service and absolute guarantee of no damage (or quality repair of any damage that does occur), this is the company to use. They are not cheap, and if you are moving cheap junky furniture and things, I would not bother, but if you have really nice stuff, this would be the way to go. Cheapest is not always your best option.

And do'nt forget to tip the workers. They rely on tips for dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues