Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 08:53 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times

Advertisements

We moved to Arizona on a whim.

After selling our home in Hawaii, we spent the summer in Minnesota (lovely place in the summer).

We were planning to winter in South Carolina, but the hurricanes did enough damage that we decided not to go.

My brother in Phoenix offered us his guest room, so we went. Travelled here and there around the state, decided to rent in Tucson. On a whim, looked at a house for sale, fell in love with the property and bought it, just 6 weeks after arriving in Arizona.

I wonder where we'll wander next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 PM

994 posts, read 967,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
I did. I moved from NY to AZ. I went to Sedona on vacation. Returned home, stayed in touch with a real estate agent, subscribed to local news papers, learned everything I could about the area. Went to Sedona the following year for vacation, and told my friends if I find work, I'm staying. Nobody believed I would stay, and I've been here 22 years. Best decision I've ever made.
Awesome, I love Sedona.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Unless your father has chained you up in the basement it's not the only way to do it "successfully". You can inform your father that you have found a job and a place to live in Phoenix, when you will be leaving, and then follow it up by actually doing it. He'll get over it and might even be proud of you for succeeding. Sneaking out without a word is childish and hurtful. But if what you really want is to hurt or worry him, by all means, pack up and disappear without a word to anyone. Adults face difficult situations head on. If you want to be seen as an adult its a pretty good strategy to behave like one.
I've passed up on a place to stay and a job a few times just because I felt bad for him being upset that I was leaving. I will tell him when I get there or when I'm on the way

Old 01-11-2019, 10:02 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
So I'm about to make a long road trip/move to Phoenix(Mesa) . I keep wanting to give it a shot out there , but the only way to do it is to go on a whim. I sit and think about it too long and it never happens. I will be in Fort Myers FL for the weekend then heading to phoenix. (Moving from SC).

I already have work and a room there. No kids or anything to hold me back besides my father who is extremely against me doing this. I am ready to leave tonight and I'm excited. I am 30 years old and I'm going to do what I damn well please. Done with being hesitant. I am not telling anyone close That I'm heading to Phoenix until I get there, or else I will hear the same ol stuff about what they think about it

Has anyone else moved on a whim? Cross country? How did it work out?
Wow. Deja Vu all over again. Sounds like my story. I moved to Phoenix from NYC in 1972 under similar conditions. I was 26 and single. I had talked it up quite a bit but I don't think anybody really took it seriously until it happened. I had finished college (late after having been in the Army) got some lump sum scholarship money and spent the summer driving a cab in NYC while waiting for an accident lawsuit to be settled. As soon as it was settled I packed up my car, said my tearful goodbyes to parents, siblings, and friends and hit the road. I arrived in Phoenix in November 1972. No job, but plenty of money. Got an apartment and was on vacation, enjoying the sunshine, until January when companies started hiring.

How did it work out?

Well, 46 years later and I'm still here so I'd say it worked out pretty damned well.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:20 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
I have been there twice. Yes I have been planning it, but am not telling any family that I'm going to Phoenix , Just going to go. Its the only way I can do it successfully .
No, gotta correct you here. You can do it successfully even if you told your family. You are an adult and even if you heard their objections, you still have the power to make your own decisions.

Now, you don't have to tell anyone anything. However, the fact that you repeatedly mention it sounds like YOU don't know that you have power over your own life. It's as if YOU believe that if you told then, they could somehow stop you. They can't stop you whether they know or not. Only YOU can stop YOU.

Enjoy your new life.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No, gotta correct you here. You can do it successfully even if you told your family. You are an adult and even if you heard their objections, you still have the power to make your own decisions.

Now, you don't have to tell anyone anything. However, the fact that you repeatedly mention it sounds like YOU don't know that you have power over your own life. It's as if YOU believe that if you told then, they could somehow stop you. They can't stop you whether they know or not. Only YOU can stop YOU.

Enjoy your new life.
I agree and understand what you're saying . I'm doing this for my own good and my dads. He will not go far from where he currently lives..Says its too far away or he cant drive that far, and wont get on a plane. Hes stubborn like his whole side of the family . He has a wife and step daughter living with him still. Me being gone for even a few months will do both of us some good.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:20 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Quote:
I have been there twice. Yes I have been planning it, but am not telling any family that I'm going to Phoenix , Just going to go. Its the only way I can do it successfully .

Phoenix is a terrible city, would not recommend going there.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:53 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
I once moved to Key West on a whim. Completely spur of the moment. Packed everything that I could fit into my car, had about $100 in my pocket and went. But:

* I never intended for it to be a permanent move, I just had to leave where I was after a bad breakup
* I had a friend from college who was already living and working there. He had invited me to come stay with him
* I didn't have a job lined up, but my friend was able to get me a waitress job at the hotel where he worked

I stayed there for about 3-4 months and sorted myself out. Moved back and got a job in NYC. Now, many years later, I look back on that time with fondness. It was kind of an outrageous thing to do, but I had a blast during those months and was able to take kind of a break from real life and figure out how to move forward (I was about 24 at the time).

Last edited by bizcuit; 01-12-2019 at 08:43 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 12:02 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
Quote:
I've passed up on a place to stay and a job a few times just because I felt bad for him being upset that I was leaving. I will tell him when I get there or when I'm on the way
I'd wait until you get to AZ, just from what you've shared. And yes, by all means do it, AZ is amazing and if you don't like it after a while you can always return home.

BTW, don't be discouraged or make any hasty decisions to leave if you feel a bit out of sorts for a while, it can take a good year to settle in.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2019, 12:18 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Default Keep going

Quote:
So I'm about to make a long road trip/move to Phoenix(Mesa) . I keep wanting to give it a shot out there , but the only way to do it is to go on a whim. I sit and think about it too long and it never happens. I will be in Fort Myers FL for the weekend then heading to phoenix. (Moving from SC).

I already have work and a room there. No kids or anything to hold me back besides my father who is extremely against me doing this. I am ready to leave tonight and I'm excited. I am 30 years old and I'm going to do what I damn well please. Done with being hesitant. I am not telling anyone close That I'm heading to Phoenix until I get there, or else I will hear the same ol stuff about what they think about it

Has anyone else moved on a whim? Cross country? How did it work out?
Success at the place you decide to travel to does not matter as much as the experience of freedom to choose and the adventure. You do not have to settle down in the place you choose to travel. You can continue on further to another place and another. Trust that you can make it anywhere. Stay as long as you want to.
You are at the time of life to do these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues