Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 01:32 PM

994 posts, read 967,232 times

Advertisements

So I'm about to make a long road trip/move to Phoenix(Mesa) . I keep wanting to give it a shot out there , but the only way to do it is to go on a whim. I sit and think about it too long and it never happens. I will be in Fort Myers FL for the weekend then heading to phoenix. (Moving from SC).

I already have work and a room there. No kids or anything to hold me back besides my father who is extremely against me doing this. I am ready to leave tonight and I'm excited. I am 30 years old and I'm going to do what I damn well please. Done with being hesitant. I am not telling anyone close That I'm heading to Phoenix until I get there, or else I will hear the same ol stuff about what they think about it

Has anyone else moved on a whim? Cross country? How did it work out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 01:52 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,538,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
So I'm about to make a long road trip/move to Phoenix(Mesa) . I keep wanting to give it a shot out there , but the only way to do it is to go on a whim. I sit and think about it too long and it never happens. I will be in Fort Myers FL for the weekend then heading to phoenix. (Moving from SC).

I already have work and a room there. No kids or anything to hold me back besides my father who is extremely against me doing this. I am ready to leave tonight and I'm excited. I am 30 years old and I'm going to do what I damn well please. Done with being hesitant. I am not telling anyone close That I'm heading to Phoenix until I get there, or else I will hear the same ol stuff about what they think about it

Why in the world would dad be "extremely" against his THIRTY year old son moving away?
Does he see you as irresponsible or something? He needs to let you sink or swim at this point.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:45 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,343,862 times
In our 20’s and 30’s my DH worked for a growing company who transferred us a lot.....on one occasion 2x in less than a year. We always moved with about 30 days’ notice (and we always had a house to sell!) and it was a great adventure. No regrets.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:51 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
Quote:

Not sure what you mean by a 'whim' if you already have a job and a room. There was planning involved obviously.

But I have moved to places that I had never seen without a job or a place to live, and just thought I'd like. Some I did--some I didn't. Moved to San Diego, New Mexico, P-Town, and South Beach without having seen. Loved South Beach and New Mexico. Wasn't crazy about P-Town or San Diego.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Why in the world would dad be "extremely" against his THIRTY year old son moving away?
Does he see you as irresponsible or something? He needs to let you sink or swim at this point.
Hes jist still over protective and doesnt know how to live somewhere without me there. I have been with him the past 14 years after parents got divorced. He went through hard times so I was always there to help him.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Not sure what you mean by a 'whim' if you already have a job and a room. There was planning involved obviously.

But I have moved to places that I had never seen without a job or a place to live, and just thought I'd like. Some I did--some I didn't. Moved to San Diego, New Mexico, P-Town, and South Beach without having seen. Loved South Beach and New Mexico. Wasn't crazy about P-Town or San Diego.
I have been there twice. Yes I have been planning it, but am not telling any family that I'm going to Phoenix , Just going to go. Its the only way I can do it successfully .

Old 01-11-2019, 03:36 PM

1,226 posts, read 632,930 times
Quote:

I did. I moved from NY to AZ. I went to Sedona on vacation. Returned home, stayed in touch with a real estate agent, subscribed to local news papers, learned everything I could about the area. Went to Sedona the following year for vacation, and told my friends if I find work, I'm staying. Nobody believed I would stay, and I've been here 22 years. Best decision I've ever made.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:43 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
I have been there twice. Yes I have been planning it, but am not telling any family that I'm going to Phoenix , Just going to go. Its the only way I can do it successfully .
Unless your father has chained you up in the basement it's not the only way to do it "successfully". You can inform your father that you have found a job and a place to live in Phoenix, when you will be leaving, and then follow it up by actually doing it. He'll get over it and might even be proud of you for succeeding. Sneaking out without a word is childish and hurtful. But if what you really want is to hurt or worry him, by all means, pack up and disappear without a word to anyone. Adults face difficult situations head on. If you want to be seen as an adult its a pretty good strategy to behave like one.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-11-2019 at 06:27 PM..

Old 01-11-2019, 06:56 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,154 times
Quote:

Yes, and to the extreme. There was no plan whatsoever.

I think we should all go where we want to. We all can just pack up and go. It's just hard to do when you have responsibilities beyond yourself. So yes do it !!! Explore for a while. Go west, north, east, south. There is so much to experience and you won't regret it later but you will be glad that you did it while you could. Great memories. Yahoo!!!!

Old 01-11-2019, 08:37 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,569 times
Just go. Live your life to the fullest. You have a job there and a place to stay, why not follow your dream? Either it works out, or it doesn't, but at least you won't be thinking What if?

After 38 years of living in my hometown, and 40 years for my hubby, we moved our family 1,000 miles away to Wyoming. We went from a city population to 500,000+ to a rural population of 1,500. Best decision we've ever made. No regrets, except that we waited so long to make the leap.

Again I say to you. Go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues