Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 09:57 AM
AZ8 AZ8 started this thread

111 posts, read 80,390 times

Advertisements

So I called to set up a move to the new house. All was going well, no issues until the rep informed me of a $199 moving fee!! I about fell off my chair.

I’m in my second year of contract, expiring on 10/20/19. If I cancel and pay early termination fee, it would be $200. Funny how that works out. (Sarcasm)

What a scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 01:33 PM

741 posts, read 590,301 times
Just cancel DirectTV. Purchase a Roku or Firestick for a one time charge of $35-$40 per device (or just use your Xbox) and sign up for YouTube TV for $40 a month, no taxes or extra fees. Its so freeing. The first 2 weeks of YouTubeTV are free to try it out, so you can set it up while you still have DirectTV to make sure you like it. Its super simple to navigate. You can record your favorite shows and there’s no storage limit. You get the most common channels everyone watches: all the local channels, AMC, TNT, USA, BBC, FX, TBS, IFC, ESPN, ESPN2, MLB, NBA, Fox Sports, Disney, Cartoon Network, Freeform, Sundance, NatGeo, SyFy, Bravo, Oxygen, E, Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, Golf, Tennis, Olympic Channel, plus more.

On Amazon Prime there’s a ton of free movies and TV series plus Thursday night football for $130 a year (plus free prime shipping on most Amazon items), a service we already had before getting the Roku device. Its cheaper per month than most subscription services if you pay annually, but there’s also a monthly option. You can also order the prime subscription channels through Amazon, like HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax cheaper than what they charge through DirectTV.

I bought 1 Roku device and tried out YouTubeTV free for 2 weeks before committing. I loved it. I was maniacally happy when I cancelled DirectTV. Then I went out and bought 2 more Roku devices and can now stream all my services through them on our 3 TVs.

My satellite TV bill with DirectTV + Netflix + Amazon Prime was $155/month. Now with YouTubeTV + Netflix + Amazon Prime its $66 per month.

I have YouTubeTV and Amazon Prime all year long. I rotate my other subscription services as the shows I watch on each service become available. I just suspended Netflix so I can watch shows on Starz. Once those shows are done, I’ll suspend Starz so I can pick up HBO. Once I’m done with HBO, I’ll resume my subscription with Netflix, so my total TV bill won’t exceed $66 a month.

I watch TV differently now, it’s more purposeful and less mindless and I’m strategic about how I watch. I’m ok waiting until I have a particular subscription channel to watch all the shows on that channel. I watch Amazon Prime more than any other service. I just finished bingeing 6 seasons of Grimm, 3 seasons of Man in the High Castle, and 5 seasons of True Blood. The final season of True Blood wasn’t available on Prime, so I’ll wait until I have HBO in April and watch it then. It’s not much different than having to wait 9 months for the next season of a show to come around again.

Just pull the plug, pay the cancellation fee and dump DirectTV. You’ll be so happy you did.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:39 AM

639 posts, read 971,725 times
They told us that on our last move too. I told them I'd cancel the service and then they "went to a supervisor" and waived the fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues