Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 09:12 AM

171 posts, read 447,947 times

Advertisements

I spoke with EZ Pass and I cannot use my passenger vehicle ezpass in a rental truck, so I'll have to pay tolls with cash. I haven't paid tolls by cash/coin in years. Are all the cash toll booths manned these days? In that case, I suppose I can skip the coins and just pay using bills?

My route takes me on I-95 through Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, and over the GWB into New York, and there are a variety of highway, tunnel and bridge tolls on this route.

Last edited by jupiter; 01-22-2019 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 09:43 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Depends on where you are. In Southern California, you can no longer pay with cash at all--either in person or in a machine. If you don't have an account with the toll roads, you have to go online to pay.

Either look this up online, call EZ pass again, or tell us where you are so someone who lives there can give you an answer.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Depends on where you are. In Southern California, you can no longer pay with cash at all--either in person or in a machine. If you don't have an account with the toll roads, you have to go online to pay.

Either look this up online, call EZ pass again, or tell us where you are so someone who lives there can give you an answer.
Updated OP with route info.

My understanding with cashless tolls is you just go through them, the camera reads the license plate, and they bill the toll to the rental truck company, who in turn bills the customer.

I'll pay cash where it's an option, and just drive through the cashless tolls.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:46 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
Updated OP with route info.

My understanding with cashless tolls is you just go through them, the camera reads the license plate, and they bill the toll to the rental truck company, who in turn bills the customer.

I'll pay cash where it's an option, and just drive through the cashless tolls.
PLEASE verify this with your rental agency. Many will do this, but my friend had a terrible experience with an agency that didn't. Since they didn't have an account with the toll road, they got slammed with a $200 fine which they cheerfully passed on to my friend. (It was all in the "fine print" that this would happen...)

Old 01-22-2019, 10:51 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
PLEASE verify this with your rental agency. Many will do this, but my friend had a terrible experience with an agency that didn't. Since they didn't have an account with the toll road, they got slammed with a $200 fine which they cheerfully passed on to my friend. (It was all in the "fine print" that this would happen...)
Yes. Know that Maryland has gone after toll skippers the last couple years and fined the crap out of them.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:35 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
OP I can't help with how to handle non manned tolls but be advised that some thruways and some tunnels you cannot go in a truck or pulling anything.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
So what is a traveler supposed to do? If they don't have an EZ pass and the toll is cashless, what option is available other than drive through?

Old 01-22-2019, 02:31 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,401 times
You can pay cash any toll road on the east coast, or PA.
In CA there are toll roads you can pay cash, there is an attendant. The HOV lanes are tolled but you can easily avoid these.
Stay of the parkways in NY state.... Bridges are very low.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:34 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
You can pay cash any toll road on the east coast, or PA.
In CA there are toll roads you can pay cash, there is an attendant. The HOV lanes are tolled but you can easily avoid these.
Stay of the parkways in NY state.... Bridges are very low.
That's incorrect for Maryland. At least one toll road , the ICC, has no cash booths or attendants. The proposal is in the Legislature now to make all Maryland toll facilities 100% cash free.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:37 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
If paying using cash, be sure to ask for a receipt as rental companies are prone to screw ups now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues