Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 01:53 PM

23,269 posts, read 18,787,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by player07 View Post
Just because it is a car it doesn't mean it can't tow. There is lot of de-rating in North America, the user manual for the same vehicle in europe will have a different rating in Europe or Asia versus North America.

All cars can tow, and to even think that you need a truck to tow a small load is flat out ignorant.
Well, if you are so certain why did you even ask the question? Your car, your choice. I plan on owning and driving my cars a very long time so I drive them conservatively. Possibly, in ideal conditions, on a perfectly level smooth road, nice mild weather, uninterrupted moderate speed, the load won't cause trouble. Life doesn't work like that. The car is worth a lot more than the items you want to move.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-24-2019 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 02:40 PM

6,357 posts, read 4,177,512 times
As others have noted and from personal experience, I’d think you would be fine on a short trip but for the distance you need to drive, your transmissions life will be severely shortened, IMO!

Old 01-24-2019, 03:42 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,753 times
No no no no NO. Don't do it.

I moved from Atlanta to Houston for my first place (one bed apartment). Used my grandparent old 95 Dodge Ram V8. It was over 20 years old sure, but it was a V8 designed to haul and tow.

I took a 6x12 trailer. That took a queen mattress and box frame, a 7 ft long couch, two dressers, a couple of tables and chairs, and plenty of boxes. My dad actually drove that and I was able to fit small items in my car.
The trailer was actually a little big, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It was still 90% full or so.

This was late July so it was very hot, but the truck struggled with the load. My dad couldn't use the A/C or go above 60 or the engine's temp would start to creep up. Again, 20 year old truck, but also a V8 that has handled a boat and a full bed of firewood before. Other than maybe some more boxes and a larger trailer, you'd probably be handling a similar weight.

I just moved from Houston to Dallas this past weekend. Rented the 10 foot truck. I had added a table and some chairs, but I couldn't fit everything in it. I had to leave boxes and small items for my car. You could try the 10 ft, but if you're wrong about the size, you're screwed. When I leave my current place, I'm definitely getting the 15 ft truck.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:16 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,542 times
Quote:
A 2.5L V4 engine should be able to 1400-1600 lbs. my car is just a standard car , it doesn't have tow package. I will add a hitch to it for towing.
Even if you put a hitch to it, UHaul and others will not rent if the vehicle does not meet the specs. Too much liability involved when you crash or burn up the trans.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:32 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Even if you put a hitch to it, UHaul and others will not rent if the vehicle does not meet the specs. Too much liability involved when you crash or burn up the trans.
He did say U Haul would do it.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:02 PM

7,039 posts, read 6,289,652 times
I have a 4 cylinder and, going to the manufacturers website it specified NOT to tow anything. I am glad I listened to that as my car, without a trailor, labored going up the hills/ mountains. I'm glad I paid attention as I love my car and certainly couldn't have afforded a new one.

I would check with the manufacturer and trust what they advise. Uhaul is in business to make money, just as any business is. They certainly aren't there to advise you not to use their services.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:45 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
A 2.5L V4 engine should be able to 1400-1600 lbs. my car is just a standard car , it doesn't have tow package. I will add a hitch to it for towing.
The problem is that a U Haul 5x8 cargo trailer is really heavy. Unless the OP is hauling ping pong balls, they are going to exceed the towing capacity of the car. I pull U Haul 5x8 trailers with a 6 cylinder Outback occasionally for short distances. The car is rated for 3,000 pounds. 120 miles in the flats? Sure. Alberta to Houston? I wouldn’t want to do that to the transmission.

The contents list would fit. A queen mattress is 5 feet wide. It will fit.

I don’t know if any of the moving pod companies do Canada. I did a 900 mile move with an 8x8x16 PODS moving pod for less than $2,000. Like others said, it is probably better to leave the furniture behind. It will be cheaper to replace it than move it.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:14 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I have a 4 cylinder and, going to the manufacturers website it specified NOT to tow anything. I am glad I listened to that as my car, without a trailor, labored going up the hills/ mountains. I'm glad I paid attention as I love my car and certainly couldn't have afforded a new one.

I would check with the manufacturer and trust what they advise. Uhaul is in business to make money, just as any business is. They certainly aren't there to advise you not to use their services.
There are lots of cars that are rated to tow in Europe where it is expected but the identical car in the US says “don’t tow” in the manual. VW Golf. Prius. I’ve checked those. You see compact cars pulling trailers constantly in Europe where nobody owns huge cars. They’re not pulling a heavy steel frame U Haul 5x8 enclosed trailer. They’re pulling smaller, lighter aluminum frame trailers with a lot less wind resistance.

You could buy a $650 Northern Tool 4x8 aluminum cargo trailer kit, rope, and a tarp. That would get a queen mattress, a sofa, and a disassembled table 2,000 miles in a Fusion. The shipping weight for the trailer kit is 195 pounds. The queen mattress would have to be upright since it won’t clear the trailer fenders but you could make it work.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:17 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The problem is that a U Haul 5x8 cargo trailer is really heavy. Unless the OP is hauling ping pong balls, they are going to exceed the towing capacity of the car. I pull U Haul 5x8 trailers with a 6 cylinder Outback occasionally for short distances. The car is rated for 3,000 pounds. 120 miles in the flats? Sure. Alberta to Houston? I wouldn’t want to do that to the transmission.

The contents list would fit. A queen mattress is 5 feet wide. It will fit.

I don’t know if any of the moving pod companies do Canada. I did a 900 mile move with an 8x8x16 PODS moving pod for less than $2,000. Like others said, it is probably better to leave the furniture behind. It will be cheaper to replace it than move it.
UPack says they do it. There's some customs and Border Protection paperwork involved.

https://www.upack.com/moving-resourc...us-from-canada

Regardless of what the guy at the the UHaul place said, before I'd load up a trailer behind my Ford Fusion and head off on a 2,000 mile trek, I'd pack what I could in a pod or trailer and let them haul it.

Saves a lot of wear and tear on the Ford Fusion not to mention the driver.

Cost might not be that much different.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:52 AM

6,357 posts, read 4,177,512 times
I agree, it’s real simple to find moving companies that use storage boxes, in various sizes that they load,transport and store them inside a warehouse until you need your stuff.

I’ve done this before and it worked out very well and reasonably priced!

You can evaluate the moving price against replacing that furniture since it’s only a small amount of furniture. The numbers will direct you to the best method❗️
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues