Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Live in Canada or US?
Canada 19 28.79%
USA 47 71.21%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 12:03 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Obviously no one location gets all those natural disasters. Guess I shouldn't assume people know that.

My location gets none of them. Yes, there were wildfires in BC. Which is 2500km away from where I am. Canada has very diverse climates areas, just as the US does. People, Canadian and American, automatically assume that the particular area where I live (the eastern prairies) the weather is "horrible" because it gets cold. But no, not really. And lots of those locations that supposedly have great weather just because it rarely gets below freezing are awesome. That was my point.
Sure. And mine was that you came across as stating that one of the (I'm sure MANY) reasons you wouldn't want to live in the US is that the US has such adverse weather and terrible natural disasters. Maybe what you were actually saying is you wouldn't want to live in many areas of Canada, either. My mistake, if that's what you meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 08:03 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
[quote=saibot;54289107].............My opinion is that only the people who have actually lived in both places can make really valuable input.

Otherwise, people who have always lived in one or the other and like it will say they prefer where they are.

People who have always lived in one or the other and have strong reasons not to like it may say they'd prefer to live in the other place.

Neither of those groups has any real-life experience........[/QUOTE

I have lived in both countries. Both are great countries. The best that can be found on this earth.

The real difference...the United States in founded in the individual....Canada is much more focused on the community. The emphasis in the US is on the individual.....the emphasis in Canada is on the community.

I lived in Canada in my twenties and hated it. There was a LOT of pressure to conform to community values. That is the reason that creative people leave Canada for the States. It is easier to be accepted, when your different, in the US.

I believe Canada is a much better country if your OLD. If your young and restless, you will move to the US like many of the creative Canadians.

In my twenties, I couldn’t wait to get out of Canada. In my seventies, I can finally understand Canada, but not quite ready to move back!! Maybe in my 80’s.

But...they are both great countries. It really boils down...is it more important for you to be an individual or part of the crowd.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:15 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Prefering Canada over America is only a myth perpectuated on internet message boards. Most Americans have never even left the country, let alone leaving their family, extended family, and friends for a much colder version of America.

It's more of a fun delusion if anything.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:05 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
[quote=509;54436802]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
.............My opinion is that only the people who have actually lived in both places can make really valuable input.

Otherwise, people who have always lived in one or the other and like it will say they prefer where they are.

People who have always lived in one or the other and have strong reasons not to like it may say they'd prefer to live in the other place.

Neither of those groups has any real-life experience........[/QUOTE

I have lived in both countries. Both are great countries. The best that can be found on this earth.

The real difference...the United States in founded in the individual....Canada is much more focused on the community. The emphasis in the US is on the individual.....the emphasis in Canada is on the community.

I lived in Canada in my twenties and hated it. There was a LOT of pressure to conform to community values. That is the reason that creative people leave Canada for the States. It is easier to be accepted, when your different, in the US.

I believe Canada is a much better country if your OLD. If your young and restless, you will move to the US like many of the creative Canadians.

In my twenties, I couldn’t wait to get out of Canada. In my seventies, I can finally understand Canada, but not quite ready to move back!! Maybe in my 80’s.

But...they are both great countries. It really boils down...is it more important for you to be an individual or part of the crowd.
That’s not a bad way to put many countries versus the US. I’m an individualist and have zero interest in communal values or most peoples’ opinions about anything. I have little in common with most people besides basic body parts, so I don’t want to live by their ideas or values but by my own. There is no “common good” because whatever is common by definition cannot be good.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:39 PM

25 posts, read 14,571 times
Well.... i think it is also important to make a certain distinction on this individual vs community thingy:

Without going into the detailed version, the US's individualist value is not against the community value. It is simply that it emphasizes that it starts with a good quality and free individual to eventually add them up and make a good quality free community.

Those with preferences to "community values" are often compromising the individual with a - seemingly - objective to serve the community. And do not realize that over time, with a community basically always being made of individuals, all collapse together.

I am a huge fan of Star Trek, and have it all almost memorized (nerd alert). But I'll turn everyone's attention to Spock's line: The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the One; was later reversed in the next movie, to which Spock appeared to realize something different, and how often, and/or in critical point, the needs of the one, outweight the needs of the many.

And that is cause, the many, are by several ones.

Ok. Greatest country on the planet. Mistake it not. Canada's nothing without the US, and not the inverse. There's reasons for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues