Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 08:32 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Cities/Metros tend to expand and become urban sprawls as we cannot efficiently long-term plan in this country.

So what you once thought was the "country" can quickly become "city" in a few years. Secondly if your area doesn't become part of the city it doesn't mean that the area you traverse through will not so a 40 min commute can turn into an 80 min commute rather quickly.

The ideal scenario would be to find existing mature neighborhoods that have a "country" feel but are already established and relatively close to the employment base/hubs.
That is what I plan to do. My commute time limit will be 25 minutes max when I look to buy a house. I figure, since owning a home is a responsibility and requires time to do maintenance and care, I would greatly benefit from the hours of time saved on commuting each week that could be better used to take care of the home and do other things I like to do like exercise, play video games, and just relax.

There are plenty of places within that time limit of downtown that are quiet and have lots of trees.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:15 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
I wouldn't do it.

You live in a much denser city than I do with less outdoor stuff right around you, but I bought a condo last year in the city I then worked in. It was within five minutes of the Cherokee National Forest, so there was more around me than I could shake a stick at.

My home office got transferred and my commute was about 40 minutes (27 miles) each way in the worst traffic in my region. I sold the condo, moved to the new city (which is a lot dumpier than where I was), and am glad to have the commute cut out. I'll go over to the other city to socialize or do a bit of hiking once a week or so during the warmer months, but I'm not yoked to all the extra time daily.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:03 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That is what I plan to do. My commute time limit will be 25 minutes max when I look to buy a house. I figure, since owning a home is a responsibility and requires time to do maintenance and care, I would greatly benefit from the hours of time saved on commuting each week that could be better used to take care of the home and do other things I like to do like exercise, play video games, and just relax.

There are plenty of places within that time limit of downtown that are quiet and have lots of trees.
There isnt that much time to owning a house for doing stuff. Depending on the house you'd have lawn to mow, maybe weeds to deal with but the rest is stuff you do now like cleaning, laundry and cooking.

My hub has a riding mower that costs $35 a month, he mows maybe every other week, in the summer the grass slows down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues