Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 11:21 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So she told you up front that she won't want to move, you accepted that and got married but now you are wondering how you can convince her to move anyway?
to put it bluntly, sort of. she told me up front that she'd be hesitant to move. again, this was fleshed out before marriage. nothing is changing other than me bringing it up again. people can (and do) change their minds for a variety of reasons.

that said, i am not going to convince her of anything. i am smart enough to know that if i "convince" her to move against her will that it would do way more damage than good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 11:50 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Shadowboxing View Post
we currently live in NY and my spouse does not want to ever move
any further than driving distance from her family (parents and sister).
i am somewhat the opposite and think in the "you only live once" mindset.
Cutting to the chase... cool your jets or get a different wife.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:44 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
to put it bluntly, sort of. she told me up front that she'd be hesitant to move. again, this was fleshed out before marriage. nothing is changing other than me bringing it up again. people can (and do) change their minds for a variety of reasons.

that said, i am not going to convince her of anything. i am smart enough to know that if i "convince" her to move against her will that it would do way more damage than good.
I don't think it hurts to re-visit things occasionally. Who can predict when something new trumps an old feeling? In fact, avoiding serious topics like this would say more about how rigid (and friable) a relationship is than otherwise. You are communicating about your lives and you should. Skills we never use get stale and outdated. The manner in which topics get broached and discussed do matter however. Both of you have voices and need to exercise them.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:53 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
NY is where her life is. You knew that when you married her. Plan nice vacations.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:16 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:

You have an itch and it is not being scratched. Have you tried vacations?

Old 04-08-2019, 02:29 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You have an itch and it is not being scratched. Have you tried vacations?
yea we vacation fairly frequently. many times i come back wishing we could move there. lol.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:42 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
My girlfriend now fiancé of 7.5 years also didn’t want to move away from family because she was younger and hadn’t ever been away from her mom understandably. I just hoped that eventually she would change her mind because I’d rather kill myself than be stuck in OR (so get that idea out of your head, this state sucks worse than NY which sucks pretty badly). Fortunately she realized eventually how badly this place sucks and we’re out this year. I did finally tell her two years ago that I’m leaving the state and I’m not happy here so it’s a with or without you kinda thing, I love her but I value my happiness too much to be stuck somewhere I hate. I said we can do long distance, I’ll come back to visit, but I’m not spending my life in this rain hole. I gave a timeframe and said I can make it another 5 years or something but not forever.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:44 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
Have you considered the possibility that parents/ sister might at some time choose to move? Perhaps for a different climate.

We have moved twice since I retired 22 years ago.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:29 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,519 times
I hate to tell you, but your situation is very much like my brother in laws, and after 8 years of marriage, they are heading for a divorce. His wife grew up in NYC, has never left, has a large extended family there. She has a great job, but her job skills apply all over the U.S. (she is a senior member of HR at her employer.)

He doesn't have the career opportunities she does. He is an aviation mechanic and the big money there is working at a depot level maintenance facility for one of the big airlines. He has turned down 2 job offers in Dallas, TX already, both would have almost doubled his income. He is earning 40k a year, and as a family they are barely making it. They live in a family members basement, and pay over $2,000.00 a month in rent. They will never be able to purchase a home, or condo, living in NYC. It has started to really bother him that they have nothing except furniture that belongs to them. No vehicles, no property, nothing. It doesn't bother her, because her entire family lives this way, it is all that she knows. She is 34 years old and doesn't know how to drive.

To those that say, well he married her, your right. He did, he just never imagined that he would be spending the rest of his life living in her aunts basement because she is the only one in the family that has a home. Whenever he tries to bring up the subject, his wife goes off on him.

My family and I moved across the country for employment, and my wife wasn't happy at first. But over time the increased income made more things possible, and now she wouldn't want to move back next to her family.

I would only move if you had a rock solid opportunity available.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:26 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,520,659 times
i negotiated my move - granted not cross country. i'm in the "there's a big world out there, i won't know if it's wrong for me unless i try it" boat, while hubby is the one who HAD to live next to family.

we moved 1 state away from family. close enough we could drive/fly in the event there was an emergency, but not close enough that anyone could just "pop in" un-announced.

the negotiation went like this - let's move there for 5 yrs, at the end of 5 yrs if you are not happy, i will move wherever you want. it's been almost 15 yrs & we are quite content in our new state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues