Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 10:58 AM

50,179 posts, read 63,651,524 times

Advertisements

It will all work out before you know it, and be thankful it isn’t worse.

My friend is moving from OH to SC. Husband is living in an apt. and working in SC. Their old house closing is a few weeks before their new house is closing. Husbands apartment doesn’t take dogs, so she and her 2 Labs are staying here at my house in GA. Yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 11:13 AM

555 posts, read 593,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanseej View Post
Yeah, it's scary. I'm sure we will both find something we overlooked or didn't plan properly. We will get through it. Good luck with your move.

I need lists for my lists. LOL
Thanks, Nanseej! Where are you moving?

Old 04-22-2019, 01:51 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,150,354 times
Quote:
House closing is 2 weeks from today. Several days before that, spouse will have arrived at our new home 600 miles away. Packers 2 days before closing. Moving truck one day before closing. I am already sleeping on an airbed and will leave myself not much more than a coffee pot and suitcase for those last 2 days. On closing day I will have car packed and drive some of the way to new home.

Has anyone ever done something similar?

I think the smart choice is to stay in local hotel on night before I leave. I will then have slept in a comfortable bed and can eat breakfast at hotel. This would be a less tiring start for a long day than having to deflate airbed and pack bedding, suitcase, wet towel, etc on the morning of. I haven't moved in decades. I was younger then, and those were local moves.
Yes. I have done something similar....And I would say give yourself two days at the hotel....something always seems to happen if you only give yourself one day. Sounds like you are very organized....Good job!! Enjoy your new location/home.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:19 PM

42 posts, read 31,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Thanks, Nanseej! Where are you moving?
Moving from Kenosha Wisconsin to Branson Missouri. 10 days left. Have made huge progress in the last 2 days. I'm still nervous about running out of time. But it feels more manageable today.I

Where are you headed?

Old 04-22-2019, 04:23 PM

42 posts, read 31,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The last night before I moved here, I slept on an airbed that was super comfortable from Walmart. Then, I slept on it my first couple nights after I moved.

I just packed my coffee making stuff where I could find it, and otherwise bought frozen pizza at the local Safeway.

If you need the luxury of a hotel, go for it. If you want to save money, you can.
The airbed s actually comfortable. In the morning when I go to get up I realize I'm about a foot off the floor and have to roll onto my knees and stand up from there. LOL

Old 04-22-2019, 05:17 PM

421 posts, read 388,552 times
I'm moving in 16 weeks and having anxiety.... big issue for me is that my wife's medical condition makes it very difficult for her to travel by car without nausea, vertigo etc. and she also uses a wheelchair much of the time. So arranging to have an adult child fly in to fly back with her to our new location. Finding a place for her, as well as personal support, in the original location while I drive the car(s) and make sure the U-Pack truck is gone before the trip. Arranging for a hotel the last couple of days before we leave, hotels along the way (2 nights) arranging for help in driving and then flying them back home. On top of that, just packing the house by myself, getting all the last minute things done that you can't do too far ahead of time...… selling our house by FSBO through our local attorney and what that entails. I hope I don't forget anything along the way.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Moving from Kenosha Wisconsin to Branson Missouri. 10 days left. Have made huge progress in the last 2 days. I'm still nervous about running out of time. But it feels more manageable today.I

Where are you headed?
We're going to Prescott, AZ.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
I'm moving in 16 weeks and having anxiety.... big issue for me is that my wife's medical condition makes it very difficult for her to travel by car without nausea, vertigo etc. and she also uses a wheelchair much of the time. So arranging to have an adult child fly in to fly back with her to our new location. Finding a place for her, as well as personal support, in the original location while I drive the car(s) and make sure the U-Pack truck is gone before the trip. Arranging for a hotel the last couple of days before we leave, hotels along the way (2 nights) arranging for help in driving and then flying them back home. On top of that, just packing the house by myself, getting all the last minute things done that you can't do too far ahead of time...… selling our house by FSBO through our local attorney and what that entails. I hope I don't forget anything along the way.
Lists; lots of lists. And don't forget to breathe. Thankfully, you have 16 weeks.

Can you hire someone to help with the packing?? That might help a little.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:27 PM

516 posts, read 1,071,399 times
Pick your hotel carefully, last hotel i was in (fla) the night was filled with "Oh poppy, your so good" from rooms on both sides. This was a major chain hotel, totally unexpected was entertaining at first but got old after a while. Good luck with your move.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:15 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,611,008 times
Quote:
That is a lot of things to handle simultaneously. Respect. Craigslist is a good option to get rid of stuff if you feel like dealing with it. I took the easy way and donated, discarded or gave to friends a ton of things we were too lazy to purge over the years. There's a load for donation in my car now.
Haha yeah, it was NOT the plan. The plan was to stay in our house through September, then rent an apartment in Henderson, NV, and look for a house after our house had sold. This opportunity came up and it was too good to pass up -- a half-way finished new construction home in a new neighborhood, perfect layout for us, modern home, unobstructed view of The Strip, all for $700K. We had been looking at homes in the $1.3M range and hadn't even liked most of them, they were dated, wrong areas, bad layouts, not our style, etc. The new construction builds at that price were fantastic, but then I started realizing it'd be very challenging to get INTO that kind of house, even though I could afford the payments. There was just no conceivable way I could make it happen because my income is too irregular or at least it hasn't been consistent for more than 15 months, so I might have had to wait another year or more before I could demonstrate to a lender that I'm a reliable risk, etc.

When we found exactly what we wanted at what I consider a steal of a price, I couldn't resist so I signed the paperwork that day when we visited. We were flying down there to see if this community was right, so I knew there was a possibility I'd pull the trigger, but I was more so expecting to wait a few weeks and mull over my options. That lot wasn't going to last, though, it was too well priced. The nearby communities (also new build) were asking $200-600K just for a Strip view, whereas this lot was $10,000 premium for that view. Unbelievable.

So we spent the day in shock we found such a perfect place below budget, but then we spent the next week overwhelmed and working 16 hours a day to do everything required to make this happen from loan documents to packing to preparing our home for sale. This week alone I've had landscaping appointments, a hot tub service to drain and clean the hot tub for showings, handyman tomorrow to repair drywall after removing TVs and pictures, a bunch of stuff on Craigslist and eBay and Offer Up, and we have to clean our house for pictures on Thursday! Absolute insanity and I'm afraid it's not necessarily going to get that much easier as there just become new problems or challenges as we move along.

People on CL and Offer Up are notoriously flakey, but every once in a while you get lucky. I sold my fish tank in 50 minutes from the time I posted it to the guy picking it up, and he paid in full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues