Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 09:17 AM

42 posts, read 31,711 times

Advertisements

House closing is 2 weeks from today. Several days before that, spouse will have arrived at our new home 600 miles away. Packers 2 days before closing. Moving truck one day before closing. I am already sleeping on an airbed and will leave myself not much more than a coffee pot and suitcase for those last 2 days. On closing day I will have car packed and drive some of the way to new home.

Has anyone ever done something similar?

I think the smart choice is to stay in local hotel on night before I leave. I will then have slept in a comfortable bed and can eat breakfast at hotel. This would be a less tiring start for a long day than having to deflate airbed and pack bedding, suitcase, wet towel, etc on the morning of. I haven't moved in decades. I was younger then, and those were local moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 10:29 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
It's not a bad idea.

I would also pack a "starter box" or two to travel with you. Include scissors, paper towels, TP, change of clothes or two, garbage bags, maybe some paper plates, cups and plastic forks & knives, bottle opener/corkscrew, bath towels, shower curtain, soap & shampoo, etc. Basically all of the things you know that you'll want pretty much right away so that you don't have to go searching for it through various stacked boxes.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:28 PM

Thanks Bizcuit. Those are good suggestions. The move in part of this should be under control. We have owned our new home for 7 months, and had it remodeled. We have been back and forth multiple times and brought some belongings that we could store without being in the way of construction workers. My last visit was post construction and was entirely about getting it ready for moving in. Beds, linens, items we will need until movers arrive, cable and internet, even freezer food.
I now realize I will be camping out in this house after it is packed, and I'm trying to figure out how to do that.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:29 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanseej View Post
House closing is 2 weeks from today. Several days before that, spouse will have arrived at our new home 600 miles away. Packers 2 days before closing. Moving truck one day before closing. I am already sleeping on an airbed and will leave myself not much more than a coffee pot and suitcase for those last 2 days. On closing day I will have car packed and drive some of the way to new home.

I think the smart choice is to stay in local hotel on night before I leave. I will then have slept in a comfortable bed and can eat breakfast at hotel. This would be a less tiring start for a long day than having to deflate airbed and pack bedding, suitcase, wet towel, etc on the morning of. I haven't moved in decades. I was younger then, and those were local moves.
We did the same thing for 3 days before our 500 mile move. We squatted in our house on an air mattress and a suitcase. It all worked out well.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:41 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanseej View Post

I did this on my last move. Stayed the last 2 nights at a local B&B owned by a friend. It was informal so I could shuttle my pets, luggage, and go-boxes of supplies before the mover commotion began. No need to haul wet towels/laundry along. Move was long distance and it wouldn't be practical to come back to the house for any reason so I hired a local house cleaner to do the final cleanup after the movers left. Didn't need to bring cleaning supplies along or end up dealing with wet rags, mop, etc. Having a peaceful place to retreat to, organize the stuff I needed to take with me, and knowing that the house would be left in move-in condition helped me relax those last couple of nights.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:51 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
This is the kind of thing sometimes you throw up your arms like, now what?! I’m having the same issues figuring out logistics at the tail ends of things. We are going from house to apartment briefly while our new house is finishing construction and then we’re getting married after the house is finished (3.5 weeks later), so since it’s 800 miles away I’ll probably fly down and get some contract work started I want changed, drapes ordered, etc., then back to the apartment. My dilemma is how to quickly make sure to ditch any of the furniture at the apartment as nothing we want moved is going there, just whatever we can fit in our cars and actual household stuff we keep goes to storage through the moving company. So we may have some stuff at the apartment that we need to ditch within 3 days, basically. Craigslist free maybe? Lol.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
When the movers packed our bed, we spent the last two nights in a motel. Our car was packed with stuff those two nights, and we set off the day after we handed over our keys to the new owner.

I insisted that we park under lights, near as possible to our room. And we took in as luggage our personal papers every night that we were on the road. People will steal obviously packed vehicles. Do everything you can to minimize the look of a packed car, even if you have to ship or mail things ahead.

Best wished for a successful move.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:31 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
If you're driving all alone 600 miles and are going to do so in one day, yes, sleep in a hotel, have a hot shower and a filling breakfast before you drive.

Be safe!

Old 04-21-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
When the movers packed our bed, we spent the last two nights in a motel. Our car was packed with stuff those two nights, and we set off the day after we handed over our keys to the new owner.

I insisted that we park under lights, near as possible to our room. And we took in as luggage our personal papers every night that we were on the road. People will steal obviously packed vehicles. Do everything you can to minimize the look of a packed car, even if you have to ship or mail things ahead.

Best wished for a successful move.
Thanks. Good tips. Especially taking the the papers in with me. I have a medium size SUV. We figured out years ago when we're traveling to cover the whole back area with black sheets. Even right up next to windows you can't see that anything is in there.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
If you're driving all alone 600 miles and are going to do so in one day, yes, sleep in a hotel, have a hot shower and a filling breakfast before you drive.

Be safe!
Those are some of the reasons to stay at local hotel on night before closing. I'm breaking up the drive into 2 days because I don't know what time I will be able to get on the road. I have several towns selected as potential for hotel rooms for that night when I decide I'm ready to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues