U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:29 PM

294 posts, read 1,031,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I made a measured drawing of the interior of the PODS container (including the location of the supports) then I measured the footprint of all of my largest pieces of furniture, made little rectangles of the appropriate sizes, and moved the shapes around within the outline of the container until I figured out a reasonable way to arrange things and still allow access to stack smaller items.

I'm usually not this methodical, but since I was stressed out by the move and was depending on the kindness of friends to help me pack, this short planning exercise saved us a lot of frustration. One smart friend even taped the diagram on the side of the container for reference. The delivery man thought it was hilarious.
I will definitley have to try this, I do that sort of thing when I want to move furniture around in my home, never thought about it for the pods, thanks, this is great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 08:13 AM

10,682 posts, read 22,147,154 times
Don't forget to fill up your cabinets and drawers with as many items as you can. And use every available rug and old blanket as padding between items. Road vibration can cause a surprising amount of damage if you're not careful.

This may amuse you. I was so impressed with how funny my packing job looked that I took a photo.

It doesn't get much more personally revealing than that.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:50 AM

294 posts, read 1,031,035 times
You did a great job in getting everything in, I noticed that you tied the stuff down too, never thought about that either, i'm going out today to get some rope lol.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:57 PM

5,635 posts, read 8,332,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I made a measured drawing of the interior of the PODS container (including the location of the supports) then I measured the footprint of all of my largest pieces of furniture, made little rectangles of the appropriate sizes, and moved the shapes around within the outline of the container until I figured out a reasonable way to arrange things and still allow access to stack smaller items.

I'm usually not this methodical, but since I was stressed out by the move and was depending on the kindness of friends to help me pack, this short planning exercise saved us a lot of frustration. One smart friend even taped the diagram on the side of the container for reference. The delivery man thought it was hilarious.
You are doing what an aircraft or truck loadmaster would do.
Nothing hilarious about being properly packed and able to actually find stuff. Just smart.
Nice work.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:34 PM

6,351 posts, read 20,329,395 times
Nice work, Ellie!

Old 05-01-2008, 03:48 PM

10,682 posts, read 22,147,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
You are doing what an aircraft or truck loadmaster would do.
Nothing hilarious about being properly packed and able to actually find stuff. Just smart.
Nice work.
Thanks Mr. Wabbit. The end result of all the packing was pretty funny, as you can tell from the photo. After my friends left and before the truck came to get the container, I continued on into the night stuffing and wedging all of the bric-a-brac into every available space.

Nothing broke, so I guess we did all right.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:48 PM

4,597 posts, read 10,868,576 times
We had equally as good luck with our POD, too, when we moved from Coastal NC to the Piedmont area. The best thing was being able to pack, and load, and pack, and load, as we chose -- and without killing ourselves doing it.

I think the smartest thing we did was leaving our king-sized bed -- box springs and mattress -- for last. It was great, being comfortable our last night in the old place, and having it unloaded first at the new place. We could fall into our own bed when we were worn-out.

For moving, I really think a POD is the way to go. I have had professional movers break things, damage furniture, and lose things. None of that with this move!

Old 05-02-2008, 03:18 PM

649 posts, read 3,317,978 times
There is some great packing advice in this thread, over in the Hawaii forum:

Shipping Question

that's just as relevant to packing a POD as it is to packing an ocean-shipping container.

Moving to Hawaii has its own set of challenges, but there is a significant amount of overlap with any kind of long-distance move.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 PM

81 posts, read 245,280 times
Does it matter if the big couch goes in first, or should it go last?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:30 AM

3,646 posts, read 10,321,728 times
Cheap pillows from Walmart (2.50 each) could also help with filling in some of your little spaces here and there. Pick up 20 and for $50, you've got lots of cheap filler. If you keep them in their plastic, then you can donate them to Goodwill when you arrive at your destination and take a tax deduction for them too. (And they can be deducted as packing material for your move as well.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues