Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 09:46 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times

Advertisements

Renting a mini van, but hauling a car makes little sense. How many kids do you have?

It must be at least 1500 miles. I would divide it into 3 driving days unless you are experienced driving long distances. Stay at Holiday Inn/ Hampton Inn type places with pool for kids to get exercise (make reservations in advance). If you want to stay an extra day to see the sights, plan to do that when you''re 2/3 complete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 09:51 AM

514 posts, read 437,933 times
Money is a factor in that it's not a corporate relocation package so we need to watch what we spend on. Not looking to score a disney grade vacation but anything along the way even if it's a sate park for kids to go int and roam around or some carnival style rides .. Nothing fancy..anything better than a highway rest stop!

Trying to estimate what various options may cost and then take away niceties and see where the budget stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I cannot follow you - money seems to be a factor but you want to drive a rented moving van with a car on a trailer and a rented minivan and make it a road trip with entertainment for the kids. Have you looked at a roadmap?

Old 06-06-2019, 09:56 AM

Three kids, two over 9 and 10 and one close to 2.5 by the move time. The reason for thinking about minivan was space and it would get tiring in a regular 4 door Honda accord!

The distance is about 1600 miles. Great idea on the pool, that would be perfect for getting some exercise and break the monotony! Booking in advance will take planning and more thinking as to when we'll make to certain point on the map..could be tricky to figure out the times to check in etc. Let see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Renting a mini van, but hauling a car makes little sense. How many kids do you have?

It must be at least 1500 miles. I would divide it into 3 driving days unless you are experienced driving long distances. Stay at Holiday Inn/ Hampton Inn type places with pool for kids to get exercise (make reservations in advance). If you want to stay an extra day to see the sights, plan to do that when you''re 2/3 complete.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:03 AM

529 posts, read 490,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Few general questions for someone who may have done the similar move:

1. Is it realistic to drive a UHAul truck with car in tow on car dolly from NY to TX? Would one over night stay at a motel suffice?

2. How about driving a minivan with kids from NY to TX? Renting the minivan one way, picking up from NY and returning at DFW location.

3. Is it possible to make it fun if traveling with kids? Don't want to be on the road for full week but 1-3 days if that makes the trip bearable and somewhat fun at the same time?

4. Are there things to do or place to see along the way..not looking to see every museum and theme park along the way but some notable places here and there to break up the monotony.

Anything else you would suggest?
Any of the rental companies that will rent you a truck for that distance, will make sure you have a truck and trailer that can go the distance, and has all its scheduled mechanical service done for at least the amount you are going to do. They want you as a customer, and anytime you break down, that costs them money.

As far as overnight stay at a hotel, no problem with the truck and trailer in the back lot of the hotel. Done that lots of times. But if you are saying you want to do the trip in two days, I wouldn't. You will get tired quicker driving the setup, and be miserable. With a family, 400-500 miles is all I would do. 500 miles is going to be at least 8+ hours on the road (with fuel stops). When my kids were young, anything over that mileage became a real challenge with the kids getting antsy, even with games and such.

I kept my kids for the most part occupied with games and books. Some of those games were spotting stuff outside the car like different license plates, types of vehicles, landmarks..etc. Just don't let them start the game of hit the sibling when they spot something first.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:33 AM

Yeah, good point! I know when tires on the car dolly from Uhaul blew up in our last move which was barely under 200 miles, it took them almost 3 hours or so to get the person to us on the road and replace the tire. to compensate for the delay and it was dark and we couldn't get to next stop on time, they paid for the overnight hotel stay and we went to any closeby hotel and stayed one night on UHaul's dime. Then continued next morning refreshed and fed!

It's going to be iPads all the way but even that can get tiring. Times have changed..kids are not going to be much interested in looking out the window which is a shame!

You know "tapping" the sibling is going to happen

I wouldn't taking a picture when we enter a state by the "Welcome to NY... or whatever state we happen to be in" and keep going..collect pictures for later .. no wasted time and journey documented in pictures :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Any of the rental companies that will rent you a truck for that distance, will make sure you have a truck and trailer that can go the distance, and has all its scheduled mechanical service done for at least the amount you are going to do. They want you as a customer, and anytime you break down, that costs them money.

As far as overnight stay at a hotel, no problem with the truck and trailer in the back lot of the hotel. Done that lots of times. But if you are saying you want to do the trip in two days, I wouldn't. You will get tired quicker driving the setup, and be miserable. With a family, 400-500 miles is all I would do. 500 miles is going to be at least 8+ hours on the road (with fuel stops). When my kids were young, anything over that mileage became a real challenge with the kids getting antsy, even with games and such.

I kept my kids for the most part occupied with games and books. Some of those games were spotting stuff outside the car like different license plates, types of vehicles, landmarks..etc. Just don't let them start the game of hit the sibling when they spot something first.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:47 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I have moved across country twice.

First time husband and I AZ to NJ. When we did this, we sold everything. We rented a Uhual, put it on the back of our Chrysler Lebaron and drove across country. This was the cheapest way to do everything for us.

When we moved from NJ to TX we did it very differently. Hubby drove one car to TX and went solo. We had movers (not economical for you) and I flew with the kids.

To keep the kids entertained, get them a small present they can open up each morning. We used to give crayons, coloring books, cards, different activities they could do while in the car. Movies would play on the DVD player (long time ago!)

Old 06-06-2019, 05:20 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Three kids, two over 9 and 10 and one close to 2.5 by the move time. The reason for thinking about minivan was space and it would get tiring in a regular 4 door Honda accord!

The distance is about 1600 miles. Great idea on the pool, that would be perfect for getting some exercise and break the monotony! Booking in advance will take planning and more thinking as to when we'll make to certain point on the map..could be tricky to figure out the times to check in etc. Let see.

Just divide total miles into 1/3's...so pick hotel 525-575miles from start & so on.

I'd drive the car, not tow it. Don't overstuff it, just take along a cooler of snacks & drinks and suitcases & papertowels & wet wipes!

Those are great age kids to travel with. Split up 9 & 10 kids to travel with each parent & alternate each day,...so one is always in backseat with 2 1/2 year to assist/entertain.

I'd get the kids each a map & plot the course and have them take pictures with your phones along the way. And get a scrapbook when you get to your new place & have them put mementos, pics, etc. in it....buy extra phone chargers for trip----trust me on this.

Consider family friendly audiobooks to listen to.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:47 PM

385 posts, read 323,794 times
Do it yourself is the way to go to save money. You may have three choices in terms of renting a truck (and dolley): UHaul, Budget, and Penske. Compare the cost -- it is always more expensive to 1) move in summer; and 2) to move to a state or location where everyone else is moving. Just do the best you can. UHaul is usually the most expensive.

If you car is FWD (= front wheel drive), then tow it behind the truck on a dolley. If you drive it, you have all the cost of gas for the car. You already will have a high cost of gas for the truck, because those trucks don't get very good mileage.

When you pick up the truck and dolley, inspect both closely. Dolleys are not inherently unsafe, but I too got a bum dolley from Budget and one of its tires blew out. Dolleys have to be serviced and inspected by the dealership just like trucks. If your car is AWD or 4-wheel drive, I think you have to rent a trailer and put the car on the trailer.

I moved myself from Plano, TX to Montrose, CO. Except for the bum dolley, everything went smoothly. I stayed in RV parks along the route (didn't want to park the loaded truck in a remote back lot of a motel).

I would pay the most attention to your kids, so they will be safe and happy and experience the trip as an adventure. Good luck and be careful.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:42 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
Don't rent the minivan. You drive the rental truck and your wife drives the car. The youngest in the car seat stays with Mom and the other kids swap out time between the two cars. Say day one oldest in rental truck with you, middle kid in car with Mom then switch next day (or at lunch). Each parent gets to spend some one-on-one time with each kid and you aren't alone in the truck and the kids aren't fighting in the car with Mom.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:06 PM

203 posts, read 152,982 times
Quote:
Few general questions for someone who may have done the similar move:

1. Is it realistic to drive a UHAul truck with car in tow on car dolly from NY to TX? Would one over night stay at a motel suffice?

2. How about driving a minivan with kids from NY to TX? Renting the minivan one way, picking up from NY and returning at DFW location.

3. Is it possible to make it fun if traveling with kids? Don't want to be on the road for full week but 1-3 days if that makes the trip bearable and somewhat fun at the same time?

4. Are there things to do or place to see along the way..not looking to see every museum and theme park along the way but some notable places here and there to break up the monotony.

Anything else you would suggest?
1. No. You simply do not realize the distance involved.
2. Too expensive. It'd cost as much to fly your family to Dallas, which is a better option with a 2.5 year old.
3. No.
4. Yes. But with the UHaul and your car on a dolly behind it - impossible.

We moved several times, and the option you are thinking of is going to be the most tiring.
I second the suggestion above about the ABF trailer. You load it, they pick it up and deliver to your destination, then you unload and they come to collect it. I'd suggest you drive the family car yourself and fly your family there unless you need help driving.

I'd also recommend selling your Macy's sectional. It most probably will not work with your new space. Sectionals are tricky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues