Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 11:41 AM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times

Advertisements

We rented Penske truck with car carrier from Seattle to Nashville. Reason we did it, as we moved, was it had a door from the cabin into the cargo area. So we set up bunk bed behind that door, so we could sleep there while someone was driving. 2 adults, teenager and younger boy. Was very convenient as my wife will sit on the lower bed and prep meals for us, while we drove.
We took off at 3am, so it was quite scary initially, as truck had a lot of body lean. Was quite scary to drive in the dark up I90 passes. But, during the day, fear went away and we eventually got used to that lean and shaking, and did normal HWY speeds.
We towed pass car behind. MPG was terrible. It cost us $420 in gas for the trip, and that was in 1999 prices. Because we had that bunk set, we didn't do motel stops. We simply took turns driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 11:53 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fassopony View Post
I think I am going to rent a 22'-26' Penske and tow my Ford when I move. I do not drive rigs and trailers regularly though I am experienced with full size trucks and hauling around a horse trailer here or there. Basically, I know how to back up with a bumper pull lol.

From Seattle to (GA, SC, FL), so quite a long haul. I do drive quite a bit, most recently to Ft Worth and back so my main question is what should I expect? I think I will take 90 across then drop down through SD, I am aiming to avoid the 80 in WY (this was a tough haul back in Nov even in my Escape), avoid Denver completely, etc.

How big is the interior of the Penske trucks? I think it is a bench seat, I have two small dogs and two cats, I may fly the cats out after me due to lack of room.

Would anyone care to share their experiences doing this? Even shorter hauls. Thanks!
The moving truck should have a little more room then the full size cab, or at least feel that way because the windshield angle. Seating is about the same as a full size, and should have a little more seat-to-dash room. As if the dash is not as close. I would think even two medium dogs would be fine. There would be enough room on the middle and end seat, and definitely enough room on the floor on the end AND MIDDLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
My husband and I are thinking of doing this. West coast to east coast. The car we will be towing is very small, a Ford Fiesta. Unlike the OP however, we have no experience towing a trailer of any kind. I have learned Rule #1 for people like us: never back up, always park where you can drive away going forward. Anything else we should know? Should we not even attempt this? We could split up and one drive the truck and the other drive the car, but it seems like we'd have to deal with other problems then, especially not being able to take turns driving and relieving the other of driving fatigue. Plus not having any company for conversation, etc.
The trailer costs about the same as the gas so you're not saving money.
Exact reason to not split this up. You will be able to keep each other entertained, and help with things like drinks, snack, and keeping an eye on the driver if they get tired. You help with planning stops.

Backing up is not that big of a deal. If you have two people, the passenger can always get out and help guide you. Use over exaggerated hand signals with your palms, and what I prefer if you are backing someone in a tight space, is don't use the "keep coming back" method. If its an exact distance such as attaching a trailer, use the "I caught a fish and it was THIS BIG" method. Show them the actual distance you have left and slowly close the hands together with the distance.
If you know no one is behind you, you can back the trailer pretty easily down the side of the box truck. Obviously its best if you can avoid it all together. If not, get out and look. If doing it on your own, you can always use a marker. Put something on the the ground that easily visible to aim for, such as 6" away from the wheel, and stop when its in the middle of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
Funny I was going to post something similar. One option to move my car from Houston, TX to Orange County, CA is to rent a 26' truck and tow my Toyota Highlander. I'll have a friend to help but neither of us have any experience driving large trucks and towing a car. Anything I should look for?

Sorry OP don't mean to high jack your thread.
Driving bigger trucks is not that bad.
-The rear end extends so far beyond the wheels on some models that the rear more or less pivots on the rear axle, and swings out wide. If you turn left with something close to your right mid way through the turn, you can hit it with the back when your turn goes through. (this is really the biggest problem IMO).
-They are slow to go, and slow to stop, just expect it to take longer. Get in the lane you need to be in as early as possible.
-I recently rented a 20ft (80% full) with a flat tow trailer for my vehicle and got 8mpg.
-Plan your parking as far in advance as you can. If your in the city they can be a pain especially with a trailer. You might have better luck across the street or a block away. Truck stops are already going to have space planned.
-The west is a lot more open and easier to drive than the east or the coasts.
-Don't feel bad about slamming on the gas pedal, everyone else is doing it. When there are hills, step on it about a 1/4 mile early to keep the speed up a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I rented a 26' truck to go from FL - NC about 15 years ago. I don't know what has changed but my experiences were...

I think that the cab is most definitely big enough for 2 small dogs. Not sure that I would add 2 cats to the mix, however, but the cab is very roomy. The truck drives nicely and I had no issues. The only minor annoyance was that the truck had a governor on it and the speed topped out at 55 mph so be very cognizant of that if you attempt to pass someone.
Quote:
Oh geez! I was hoping for at least 65? LOL!!
I just rented a uhual 20ft truck (about 80%+ loaded) with a flatbed trailer that had my pickup on it, and drove 1,000 miles from AZ to TX a couple months ago. About a half hour east of El Paso to an hour west of San Antonio on I-10 the speed limit is 80. I was comfortably doing 85 nearly the entire way.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:24 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,040 times
We did a truck with car haul to and from Dallas to Portland OR
On the way to Portland, we took Hwy 69 to 50 diagonal through Colorado for the scenery. Even though it was summer and no scary road conditions were present, it was treacherous. I was driving another vehicle, but kept imagining my husband and daughter a mile down at the bottom of the mountain somewhere.
We took a different route on the way back.
This is my only advice.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:13 PM

439 posts, read 423,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
We rented Penske truck with car carrier from Seattle to Nashville. Reason we did it, as we moved, was it had a door from the cabin into the cargo area. So we set up bunk bed behind that door, so we could sleep there while someone was driving. 2 adults, teenager and younger boy. Was very convenient as my wife will sit on the lower bed and prep meals for us, while we drove.
We took off at 3am, so it was quite scary initially, as truck had a lot of body lean. Was quite scary to drive in the dark up I90 passes. But, during the day, fear went away and we eventually got used to that lean and shaking, and did normal HWY speeds.
We towed pass car behind. MPG was terrible. It cost us $420 in gas for the trip, and that was in 1999 prices. Because we had that bunk set, we didn't do motel stops. We simply took turns driving.
WOW! If I have a door access I might could take the cats with me. I have a travel bed too
I hope you are enjoying Nashville, I can not wait to get out of here. Did you go through Boise or stay on 90?

My go to speed seems to be 70-75.

Lots of good info, thank you everyone.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:33 PM

946 posts, read 1,136,414 times
What can you do for securing your truck during a night stay in a hotel. Besides parking in a lighted area and using a strong lock is there anything else?

Old 06-26-2019, 01:43 PM

277 posts, read 291,617 times
Don’t ever let the tank get below 1/4.
Especially between Cheyenne and Laramie.
Don’t ask how I know. Not fun.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
Don’t ever let the tank get below 1/4.
Especially between Cheyenne and Laramie.
Don’t ask how I know. Not fun.
LOL!!!

I have also found out not to do that on the 10 between Phoenix and the CA border....

Old 06-26-2019, 02:55 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
LOL!!!

I have also found out not to do that on the 10 between Phoenix and the CA border....
Ditto I-70 in Utah. Didn’t happen to us, but I can see it could happen very easily.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:20 PM

385 posts, read 324,185 times
Not near as far, but I moved myself and drove a Penske truck + dolly (2014 Honda) from Texas to Colorado last year.

Make sure before you leave that the truck and dolly (or trailer) are in good shape.

The one thing I did, which may be overkill to some, is that I actually overnighted twice in RV parks. I didn't want to park a rental truck full of my possessions in a back lot behind a roadside motel (the longer your train, the less parking options you have.) It's a given that you padlock the pull down door on the back of the truck, but of course a padlock is no match for a thief with a bolt cutter.

And staying in RV parks was cheaper than motel room rental, and with all the foot and RV traffic in the parks, I felt safer.

Good luck.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:24 PM

Anyone know how to see who rents trucks with a door to the box/cargo area? That way I would just stay in the truck with the two exuberant alarms I mean terriers LOL!! I tried a Google search to no avail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues