Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 08:02 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukiebluedoc View Post
Thanks again for the positive suggestions.
I did not intend this thread to be a forum on the value of books or the ethics of culling same.
Just to be clear, I have already culled the books, they are of great value to me and will be passed on to the local library in Chapel Hill or in Chatham County NC either before or at my demise.
I will certainly look into having all our move done via a semi-trailer mover, since we have also culled furniture and personal belongings down to what will be a small move.
Maybe it is time for the mods to close this down, since I have received useful advice and am not interested in defending my desire to keep the books I have and to move them to my new home.
peace
Caroline
I am with you, Caroline! Moved books from a continent to a continent- the thought of leaving books behind did not even cross my mind!
Suum cuique
Enjoy your friends ... meaning books in your new home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 08:13 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
To everyone who keeps telling these people to get rid of their books, why don't you just tell them what you want on your cheeseburgers or what you think of soft water. Maybe they would also like to know how high you like your socks to be, or what your favorite bird call is....

They came in here asking how to move their books, and even though they didn't need to, then answered why they are going to keep them. Yet people still continue to spout their irrelevant opinion. Its amazingly ignorant and disrespectful to tell people to get rid of their books, when you have no clue what they are about, or what they will be used for. If they want the books to make the right height stack, to keep their drinks on, that's their business. Its disgusting and disheartening how many comments were made because people think they know better than this couple.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:12 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
We are moving from AZ to new home in NC sometime in Aug-Sept.
Among the items to move are 100 boxes of books, 2/3 hardbound, 1/3 paper bound.
It seems to me that using one of the "pod" type services would make sense for the books, given the weight.
We are both in our mid-70s, so would also hire someone to pack and load/unload.
We have downsized so are moving ~ 2-3 rooms of furniture and some electronics, which we would use standard moving services to pack load and move.

Has anyone moved a large number of books cross country before who can share ideas or comment on our plan?

Thanks for any help.

This is our first move paying for it ourselves--in past our employers paid the bill, so we are trying to economize a bit.

Caroline

Use quite small boxes, filed as tightly as possible with as little airspace inside as you can possibly manage. That's my advice. It minimizes damage to the books and saves your back at the same time.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:27 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,937,716 times
Quote:
Thanks for all replies, most of which suggested getting rid of, culling the books.
That has already been done.
My spouse and I are mid-70s, retired academics and these books are specialized parts of our life work.
I am 71 and a retired professor. I moved 85 boxes of books to Louisiana 23 years ago (by myself, in a u-haul truck, which was only possible since I was younger at that time). But as years passed, many of those books became obsolete or were otherwise unnecessary to me since I am no longer publishing. I have been able to gradually cut back to about 10 boxes of books. I still read, but much of what I read is online or on my Kindle these days. I'd like to cut back further to just a box or two of books but haven't done it yet. Culling never seems to end for me! LOL

My sympathies and I hope you can get your books moved somehow. My best suggestions would be to just "bite the bullet" and pay to have them moved by a moving company, along with your other belongings. I think the most important thing about moving in your 70's, is to do everything you can to avoid overdoing and/or injuring yourself in the process. It isn't going to be cheap, but then medical bills in general are not cheap these days either.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:06 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Use quite small boxes, filed as tightly as possible with as little airspace inside as you can possibly manage. That's my advice. It minimizes damage to the books and saves your back at the same time.
Excellent advice regarding smaller boxes! Some stores can give the away for free- liquor stores have strong boxes!

Old 07-10-2019, 03:32 PM

66 posts, read 54,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Good advice.

I recently downsized my book collection to 5 big boxes (this was a rather painful process) but will have to open them again and make smaller ones so they are easier to carry.

I thought about getting rid of all books. I have Kindle but there is something about holding a book, turning pages, the smell etc, I just enjoy reading real books more.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:55 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
To everyone who keeps telling these people to get rid of their books, why don't you just tell them what you want on your cheeseburgers or what you think of soft water. Maybe they would also like to know how high you like your socks to be, or what your favorite bird call is....

They came in here asking how to move their books, and even though they didn't need to, then answered why they are going to keep them. Yet people still continue to spout their irrelevant opinion. Its amazingly ignorant and disrespectful to tell people to get rid of their books, when you have no clue what they are about, or what they will be used for. If they want the books to make the right height stack, to keep their drinks on, that's their business. Its disgusting and disheartening how many comments were made because people think they know better than this couple.
Bless your heart!

Old 07-10-2019, 04:37 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
My daughter mailed, via the postal service, about eight boxes of books 1000 miles to my house before she moved close to me. She did 3-4 boxes at a time and the mailman delivered them. He wasn't happy because it filled up his truck but it worked and was probably cheaper than some other delivery service. I was skeptical whether it would be allowed but they did it.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:51 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post

Seriously - YES! As momma said - if you can't respond to the actual question and only want to give your (unasked for) opinion on another issue - ****.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:10 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,199,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Media mail USPostal might be cheaper, but you'd have to haul those boxes to P.O. and maybe go to P.O. on the other end to pick them up. That could be a big pain.
We value books highly & I can't imagine moving without them.
just fyi usps will pickup from your home if you buy the postage and get the mailing labels online.

Last edited by chattyneighbor; 07-10-2019 at 09:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues